Is Crit racing ... ?

Rural Rider

Is Crit racing ... ?

Postby Rural Rider » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:17 am

G'day all,

Just curious to get some from the brains trust ... are Crits the safest form of road racing? I may be curious to try a little racing in the next 12 months or so and at my age (45) have no interest in upping the risk of broken limbs. What are peoples thoughts on Crits and the frequency of crashes as I heard it mentioned recently that Crits were pretty good generally ...

Cheers RR
Last edited by Rural Rider on Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
2017 Trek Emonda SL6
2016 Specialized Allez e5 Sport

Strawburger

Re: Is Crit racing ... ?

Postby Strawburger » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:23 am

I would say the order of 'safest to less safe' racing would be (up for discussion):

Time trial
Road racing
Crits

My take on crits is that if I need to race it then I either break away or don't contest the sprint. There is a higher chance of crashing in the sprint/last couple of laps than in the rest of the race.

Crit racing is as safe as you make it though! The higher the grade, the safer it is.
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:10 am

+1 to what Mr Berry says above. My opinion exactly

Rural Rider

Postby Rural Rider » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:20 am

Thanks Strawburger ...

I'm surprised to see Road Racing listed as safer than Crits - I'm thinking of the closed road aspect of Crits providing an additional factor or safety but I suppose that most of the organised Road race events have road controls as well. Seeing what people recently had to say about something like the B2B, which is literally my territory ... it appeared not too safe at all by reports. But perhaps the issue for Crits is really the same for Road Racing ... being at the front is the safest spot?

RR
2017 Trek Emonda SL6

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:31 am

You seem to assume the risk is from road traffic. In fact it is from other riders in a closely packed bunch. I've seen more broken bikes and bones at the local crits than in any road race.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Rural Rider

Postby Rural Rider » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:41 am

RonK wrote:You seem to assume the risk is from road traffic. In fact it is from other riders in a closely packed bunch. I've seen more broken bikes and bones at the local crits than in any road race.
No, not assuming the road traffic is the sole danger ... as I stated above, it's an additional factor not found in Crits.

RR
2017 Trek Emonda SL6

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:27 pm

Son rode his first crit last weekend and loved it. It was a very tight/short circuit with 2 hair-bends so i was a little concerned of crashes. There ended up being an even amount of crashes in all grades but nothing serious, mainly just single bike front wheel washouts. C and D grade rode pretty well, but being a tight circuit the field was strung out of every turn so i guess it took some of the danger out.
I always used to approach crits as good training rides and nothing to serious. if you make it to end close to the pointy end you have done pretty well :wink:

Rural Rider

Postby Rural Rider » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:44 pm

NASHIE wrote:I always used to approach crits as good training rides and nothing to serious. if you make it to end close to the pointy end you have done pretty well :wink:
I'm not looking at anything too seriously either ... more for the comraderie, chance to kick tyres with other people who love the Velo and another kind of training experience using other people as the rabbit for this old Greyhound to chase. Do they have Crits grouped by age or is it all in?

RR
2017 Trek Emonda SL6

macca33

Postby macca33 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:08 pm

I'd say crits do suffer added safety pressure from fellow participants, but are generally safest - as they are often on closed roads.

Once you start doing them, you'll probably want to give road racing a go afterwards - it's all good, wholesome fun!

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:25 pm

Rural Rider wrote:Do they have Crits grouped by age or is it all in?
If you have a vets racing club local then they are generally over 35s otherwise all in. D grade might have 14yr to 45+yr etc. Wouldn't think about it to hard, just join/pay CA rock up on the day and enjoy. Might pin a number on myself this year in a few road races while i 'think' i can still beat the young fella :wink:

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:42 pm

Rural Rider wrote:I'm not looking at anything too seriously either ... more for the comraderie, chance to kick tyres with other people...
Then you may be surprised at the level of aggression commonly on display in crit racing.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Rural Rider

Postby Rural Rider » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:14 pm

RonK wrote:
Rural Rider wrote:I'm not looking at anything too seriously either ... more for the comraderie, chance to kick tyres with other people...
Then you may be surprised at the level of aggression commonly on display in crit racing.

That's ok ... I'm naturally competitive too ... :D

RR
2017 Trek Emonda SL6

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:14 pm

macca33 wrote:I'd say crits do suffer added safety pressure from fellow participants, but are generally safest - as they are often on closed roads.
I would say road races have their share of crashes too. I've certainly seen them in the ones where I've been at.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:22 pm

To many wannabes that can't handle bikes, in Crit racing! :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:21 pm

foo on patrol wrote:To many wannabes that can't handle bikes, in Crit racing! :idea:

Foo
There is danger where ambition exceeds ability. I'd say that the wannabes are still there in road races, but there are not so many situations in a road race that require good bike handling.

The nature of criteriums is that positioning is more important for much more of the time than it is for a road race, so there is more competition to be in the right place in the bunch at all times, and when two into one doesn't go, someone has to concede. When you mix tight corners into the equation you run can run out of space pretty quickly.

Ultimately the dangers posed by other road users pale into insignificance compared to the dangers posed by lots of riders in close company. However, the level of danger is entirely created by participants. In Canberra there is a crit course that is used by the Vets on a Tuesday night, and the CA clubs on a Wednesday night. History would indicate that there are many more crashes on Wednesday nights.

For all that criteriums are more fun, and the nature of a small circuit is that you are never far from support. They are a good introduction to racing, since the common experience for a new rider is to be left behind after the first 10min. In a road race that might leave you with another hour or more of riding by yourself in order to get back to the start, which is not much fun. In a criterium you can at least keep going at a lower pace and try to join in at the back when they catch you again.

Cheers,

Cameron

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:31 pm

Strawburger wrote:I would say the order of 'safest to less safe' racing would be
Time trial
Road racing
Crits
Totally agree, even if the only race in the 200+ I have contested I crashed in was a TT

I have seen plenty of crashes, only once was another vehicle involved and that involved a rider cutting a blind bend before a sprint and ending up on the bonnet of a car coming the other way. Otherwise it has been purely cyclists either solo or taking each other out.
Strawburger wrote: Crit racing is as safe as you make it though! The higher the grade, the safer it is.
Crits yes, but from experience Road races not so, often the higher grade riders push the limits further and more often exceed the limits. Lost count of the number of A graders who lost skin, losing their front wheel round through a corner due to weather or road conditions.

As for which is a better introduction to racing road or crit for a new rider. I would go road, as most of the road races in WA are on a circuit. The constant surging out of corners, often see new riders dropped in the first few laps in crit racing, then they get to circulate solo until lapped (and depending on the race, pulled out). Road races tend to be less frantic and most new riders can survive a few laps and if they get dropped, they then get to circulated with lower grade which is following behind (or that is how my local club does it)
Rural Rider wrote: Do they have Crits grouped by age or is it all in?
Other that championships, (and specific junior races) it is all in. The age range in my local club's C grade is 14 to 65+.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:05 am

Rural Rider wrote:Thanks Strawburger ...

I'm surprised to see Road Racing listed as safer than Crits - I'm thinking of the closed road aspect of Crits providing an additional factor or safety but I suppose that most of the organised Road race events have road controls as well. Seeing what people recently had to say about something like the B2B, which is literally my territory ... it appeared not too safe at all by reports. But perhaps the issue for Crits is really the same for Road Racing ... being at the front is the safest spot?

RR
Aah yes, the b2b, a sportif. Forgot to add that to the list. The sportif is not a road race. From my limited rides in sportif's, I list these below crits. I gave these up long ago. Generally you see some of the worst bunch riding skills on display in sportif's.
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

Nikolai

Postby Nikolai » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:57 am

Rural Rider wrote:I heard it mentioned recently that Crits were pretty good generally
It's not the type of a race, it's the kind of riders you're racing with that makes it safe or unsafe. Plus, you yourself. You need to see what's going on around you to stay out of trouble.

How safe the race is, road or crit, will also depend on the course. You can have a technical crit where less skilled riders may go down for no reason, or plain and simple road race where no one's skills are challenged.

Crits might be a sensible option to start racing because they're shorter and you can suck wheels from start to finish and watch what's going on.

Another advice — if you're not prepared to crash, stay out of racing.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:34 am

Nikolai wrote:
Crits might be a sensible option to start racing because they're shorter and you can suck wheels from start to finish and watch what's going on.

Another advice — if you're not prepared to crash, stay out of racing.
I think crits are the hardest form of racing. Worst place to start. The speed changes and technical skills required take monrhs to get used to. I lasted about 2 minutes in my first 6 crit races snd i was already going well in the road races.
True about crashing. Its no big deal. Its annoying but part and parcel.of racing.

Nikolai

Postby Nikolai » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:52 am

Derny Driver wrote:I think crits are the hardest form of racing.
It depends on the course, bunch size, bunch's quality and so on. A course with flowing corners, good size bunch with riders more or less of similar fitness will be a breeze to ride.

Small bunch on a hilly course, cross winds, aggressive attacks, you'll be on your toes from the gun in a road race.

I think it's easier to go by the course and who's typically racing it. If you want an easy entry, find an easy race to do (whatever easy means). It could be a crit, it could be a road race. Makes no difference.

Here in Brisbane, one of the lower categories at Nundah would be it. You can ride that loop without touching brakes once at 40k/h smoking ciggies all the way.

Discodan

Postby Discodan » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:27 pm

Hi Guys

I'm dredging up this thread as I'm interested in having a go at Crit Racing. Before fully committing to a gold license it would be ideal to have a run in an event; is anyone aware of any Sydney crits that let you run on a CA day license?

thanks in advance
dan

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:15 pm

Discodan wrote: is anyone aware of any Sydney crits that let you run on a CA day license?
Can not answer that question as from Perth, but my understanding is with one or three day licence you can race anything except State and National titles.

Tip, get a 3 day licence it only costs a few dollars more, you get two more races to see if you like it and if you choose to get a gold licence you can get what you paid for the 3 day licence (but not a one day licence) credited to the cost of gold licence (it is a manual process, you will need to chase up

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:09 am

A CA-issued day (or 3-day) licence is valid at any CA-affiliated club around the country, which is basically all of them. However it's typically purchased through the club hosting the event as an addition to the race entry fee.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:25 am

Duck! wrote:A CA-issued day (or 3-day) licence is valid at any CA-affiliated club around the country, which is basically all of them. However it's typically purchased through the club hosting the event as an addition to the race entry fee.
That has changed in past couple of years, you now purchase the CA licence (day or 3 day) online https://eventdesq.sportstg.com/index.cf ... OrgID=4912 rock up to the event, hand over your licence, pay your race entry fee and race (well that is how we do it)

stevecassidy

Postby stevecassidy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:59 am

Discodan wrote: I'm dredging up this thread as I'm interested in having a go at Crit Racing. Before fully committing to a gold license it would be ideal to have a run in an event; is anyone aware of any Sydney crits that let you run on a CA day license?
Take a look at Cabici for details of upcoming races. I'm not sure about other clubs but Waratah Masters is ok with day licenses and races every week. Better value might be a three race license which I think you can use at any club.

Just on the Crit vs Road question, in reality there is a spectrum of racing. We race at Eastern Creek raceway which is more 'road' and even Lansdowne Park while short enough to be called a Crit doesn't have the sharp corners that make Crits hard. Heffron Park is flat and has those corners making for very different racing. Plenty of variety to choose from in Sydney at least.

Steve
Where's your next race? cabici.net lists bike races in Sydney