RIP Nicky Hayden

davehirst

RIP Nicky Hayden

Postby davehirst » Tue May 23, 2017 7:27 am

All those years racing and entertaining us, to lose his life, run over whilst cycling, is just tragic

MichaelB

Re: RIP Nicky Hayden

Postby MichaelB » Tue May 23, 2017 8:32 am

Heard about his accident a few days ago, and that was bad enough.

Makes you realise how lucky you are each time you come back from a ride just puffed ...

:(

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue May 23, 2017 9:34 am

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=94800

A post in the safety and advocacy forum. It doesn't help the motivation when you see this horrible news. Very sad.:(

Edit: see Marcel Kittel's thoughts:

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/motorsport/ ... waqok.html

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue May 23, 2017 12:50 pm

Sad news indeed. I was surprised to read a MotoGP championship winner he only won 3 GPs - I would have sworn it was more than that.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue May 23, 2017 3:50 pm

Awaiting confirmation but it might have been his own fault/mistake :(
Italian newspapers reported on Monday that investigators had found video of the accident from a camera on a house overlooking the road.

They said the images suggested Hayden had failed to stop at an intersection and was hit full on by the passing car.

There was no immediate confirmation of the report from the investigators.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue May 23, 2017 6:16 pm

I did see that - always be super careful out there.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue May 23, 2017 7:15 pm

Terrible news

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:31 am

For those of you wondering about it, the Italian authorities have released a preliminary report on Nicky Hayden's fatal crash, whereby they apportion 30% blame to Nicky (for failing to stop at a stop sign), and 70% to the driver of the car who was doing 73 in a 50 zone. They determined the driver was speeding because they had cctv footage of the crash.
Interesting analysis here: Revzilla
Under Italian law, the driver automatically faces criminal charges, and prison time is likely if convicted. The whole process looks very different to that in Australia :|

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:51 am

redsonic wrote:For those of you wondering about it, the Italian authorities have released a preliminary report on Nicky Hayden's fatal crash, whereby they apportion 30% blame to Nicky (for failing to stop at a stop sign), and 70% to the driver of the car who was doing 73 in a 50 zone. They determined the driver was speeding because they had cctv footage of the crash.
Interesting analysis here: Revzilla
Under Italian law, the driver automatically faces criminal charges, and prison time is likely if convicted. The whole process looks very different to that in Australia :|
It is very different, but having been on Italian roads, I've seen how some of those Italian drivers go, they really speed excessively. On some of the back roads you'd be forgiven for thinking it was something like a Targa Florio or the like. Some of them really go fast. On the motorways too it is quite unbelievable how quickly they drive.

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:55 am

g-boaf wrote:It is very different, but having been on Italian roads, I've seen how some of those Italian drivers go, they really speed excessively. On some of the back roads you'd be forgiven for thinking it was something like a Targa Florio or the like. Some of them really go fast. On the motorways too it is quite unbelievable how quickly they drive.
Yes, the article I linked to stated that 73 in a 50 zone was quite normal for Italian drivers! I suppose the legal arguments would concern whether the driver could have stopped/slowed significantly if he was doing 50, and how much Nicky Hayden's failure to stop/his speed though the intersection contributed to the collision.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:15 pm

You definitely don't go through red lights over there, and you take blind corners with considerable care and caution because there is the chance that a motorist is screaming along the other way. Aside from that, it still feels a lot better riding on the road with those motorists because they do generally take a lot of care around bicycle riders.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:54 pm

Nicky would of had a much better chance of surviving if the head strike had been on the bonnet rather than the windscreen.

I note that the article suggests that the motorist didn't slow down at all, ie hit Nicky at the full 73kph
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:40 pm

g-boaf wrote:
It is very different, but having been on Italian roads, I've seen how some of those Italian drivers go, they really speed excessively. On some of the back roads you'd be forgiven for thinking it was something like a Targa Florio or the like. Some of them really go fast. On the motorways too it is quite unbelievable how quickly they drive.
I found driving around Rome the worst. Pull up to a single lane red light and someone will squeeze next to you and then all the 125cc Rossi want-to-bees squeeze in around and from memory the red goes amber then green, and its the amber that who has the biggest balls wins :lol: . Going into tunnels with car overtaking, buses coming head on, i just don't no how we came out the other end alive in some cases. Don't think i would ride some coastal routes. But they are all alert and you don't get the same agro like Aus

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:40 pm

NASHIE wrote:
g-boaf wrote:
I found driving around Rome the worst. Pull up to a single lane red light and someone will squeeze next to you and then all the 125cc Rossi want-to-bees squeeze in around and from memory the red goes amber then green, and its the amber that who has the biggest balls wins :lol: . Going into tunnels with car overtaking, buses coming head on, i just don't no how we came out the other end alive in some cases. Don't think i would ride some coastal routes. But they are all alert and you don't get the same agro like Aus
In our case, it was a 159 wagon that we found out was being driven extremely fast, came round the corner and got a little wide, only just missed our vehicle. It was close. He had that 159 all locked up. Despite that, I loved that place. I was sad to leave.

But yeah, traffic manners are unnerving at times.