Peaks Challenge Falls Creak 2018 – Accommodation

Jawa

Peaks Challenge Falls Creak 2018 – Accommodation

Postby Jawa » Tue May 30, 2017 2:56 pm

Hi guys,

Thinking about tackling Peaks Challenge Falls Creak next year for the first time, i’ll save the training talk for another day though

However, was curious from those that have done it what were your accommodation plans? I’ll be coming from interstate

Registrations haven’t opened (and dates announced) yet and already so many rooms are already booked out or the prices are sky high for the weekend of 10-11/03/18

What would be some good advice then staying outside of the Falls precinct. Thinking getting up there of the morning would difficult, then there’s parking etc etc. Then there's the should I book now or later argument too

Cheers

march83

Re: Peaks Challenge Falls Creak 2018 – Accommodation

Postby march83 » Tue May 30, 2017 3:26 pm

Have you considered doing the audax alpine classic 250 instead? Starts in Bright where there are lots of beds and most are considerably cheaper.

I couldn't imagine driving in on the morning of the 3 peaks event, that would make for a pretty long day...

roller

Postby roller » Tue May 30, 2017 4:34 pm

Jawa wrote:However, was curious from those that have done it what were your accommodation plans? I’ll be coming from interstate
We came from WA, flew in to Melbourne and drove up in an afternoon.

We stayed in Falls Creek at the Falls Creek Country Club - which was great.

Probably the best thing was being able to roll to the start line & roll from the finish line straight back to the apartment, couldn't think of anything worse than having to get up an extra hour early on the day to drive up to Falls, find somewhere to park and then after 10-12 hours in the saddle have to drive home again.

Staying in the village means you can finish, roll to your accommodation & then wander out to dinner/celebratory beverage at your leisure.

Also if you're going with friends if one finishes a fair time earlier than the others (or later) it means people won't be stuck waiting at a car or anything like that.

I would recommend though investigating staying a day or 2 in Bright either on the way there or the way back, seemed like a great little town and it had a great brewery that would have been nice to have been able to explore the entire range before walking back to the accommodation.
inflammatory statement or idea

Hildalgo

Postby Hildalgo » Tue May 30, 2017 4:36 pm

Its a shame that Bicycle Victoria don't provide a shuttle service down to Mount Beauty/Bright. There's a fair bit of parking available at Falls Creek, & worse case only a short ride to the start line if you're worried about parking. From memory they close off the road really early around 5am, so you have to be up pretty early, but for an event like this its worth giving up a bit of sleep for.

There will be some really slow drivers heading up there and hate to put this in your mind but wouldn't be that much longer to ride your bike up there if you decide to stay in a place like Mount Beauty, or just park in Mount Beuty and ride from there. Plus you get extra Kudos for doing four peaks :)

Agree that the audax alpine classic 250 would be a lot easier to get tickets for and cheaper than peaks challenge, but at the time of year you're guaranteed a much hotter ride in some pretty exposed roads. You'd want to be a rider that enjoys riding in extreme heat for this one. Ridden up there a couple of times when it was hot, and definately an experience.

If you get lucky, people advertise accomodation options on sites like this & FB etc.

If you choose to stay further out, say in Bright, add an extra 40 - 45 mins of driving to the base of Falls Creek, as there will be a number of slow drivers heading up to the Peaks challenge, and allow plenty of extra time for parking, getting ready, finding a spot etc.

As an extra option, Omeo is about 1 hour 40 minute drive, & you're less likely to see traffic on this road & worth considering for accomodation.

Jawa

Postby Jawa » Tue May 30, 2017 5:10 pm

Thanks guys

Yeah I thought about Audax but PCFC is more a bucket list kind of thing. What I don't get though is if dates haven't been announced seems everyone is taking a punt it's the 11th because outside of those dates the hotel rates are like half of what rooms are going for for on Trivago etc at the moment and most a near capacity

lone rider

Postby lone rider » Tue May 30, 2017 5:21 pm

Curious to know from those that have done the peaks ride, what is open up at Falls over this weekend? Everytime I go up there during summer, either mtb'ing or ride up most of the place is shut.

Ive found it easy to get reasonable accomadation over Oz day weekend for ACE and not get ripped off to the extreme that Falls accomadation charges for Labour Day weekend, also a lot more to do in Bright when your not on your bike and entry price is way cheaper.

Scott No Mates

Postby Scott No Mates » Tue May 30, 2017 7:01 pm

I heard that several additional lodges were now opening for the ride. Attunga Lodge (new management) has a pool/sauna, Koki, Nelse Lodge are all quite good in winter and all located above Slalom Plaza.

I got up there the week before the race this year, alot more activity and riders than in previous years. Attunga hosted a few groups this year & open year round again.
I really should take up cycling!

Jawa

Postby Jawa » Wed May 31, 2017 8:12 am

Scott No Mates wrote:I heard that several additional lodges were now opening for the ride. Attunga Lodge (new management) has a pool/sauna, Koki, Nelse Lodge are all quite good in winter and all located above Slalom Plaza.

I got up there the week before the race this year, alot more activity and riders than in previous years. Attunga hosted a few groups this year & open year round again.
TBH didn't even think that many places would be closed during the off season, just assumed they would be open all year round.

I hope that a few more places open. Maybe BN could arrange something so you pay for your ride ticket + accommodation at the same time similar to what there doing with the Cradle Mountain ride. Charging room rates during the off season that can be higher than during the snow season seems a bit cheeky imo

djw47

Postby djw47 » Wed May 31, 2017 2:59 pm

Jawa wrote:Thanks guys

Yeah I thought about Audax but PCFC is more a bucket list kind of thing. What I don't get though is if dates haven't been announced seems everyone is taking a punt it's the 11th because outside of those dates the hotel rates are like half of what rooms are going for for on Trivago etc at the moment and most a near capacity
The dates may not have been officially announced but it will already be scheduled in with Falls Creek Resort for the weekend you've mentioned which is why the accom prices are sky high. You'll be lucky to find anywhere in the resort that doesn't require you to book for at 3 nights that weekend (Fri, Sat, Sun) given it's a rare off-season opportunity for them to generate some revenue. I wouldn't recommend staying off the mountain - the prospect of driving before and after the ride would not be appealing, they also shut the road up at 5.30 or something so you'd need to head up ridiculously early. If you want to do the event and experience the full day - including the apres ride food/drinks, you'll need to accept that it's going to be an expensive weekend - when I've done it I've always gone into it on the basis that it's going to cost the best part of $700-800 for accom, entry and petrol.

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Wed May 31, 2017 5:16 pm

Jawa wrote:Yeah I thought about Audax but PCFC is more a bucket list kind of thing.
The Audax Alpine Classic is exactly the same exact cheaper, more accommodation options, and Bright is a better place to start.(*)

* IMHO, starting with the Falls descent is stupid. And starting in Bright means you've done a lot less km when you get to the back of Falls.

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Wed May 31, 2017 8:25 pm

hamishm wrote:
Jawa wrote:Yeah I thought about Audax but PCFC is more a bucket list kind of thing.
The Audax Alpine Classic is exactly the same exact cheaper, more accommodation options, and Bright is a better place to start.(*)

* IMHO, starting with the Falls descent is stupid. And starting in Bright means you've done a lot less km when you get to the back of Falls.
My thoughts exactly.
Never understood why you'd want to freeze your nuts off at the start of a ride and struggle with accomm etc when the AAC has so much more to offer as far as ride options go.

Jawa

Postby Jawa » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:16 am

That’s cool, I appreciate some would have difference of opinion where one may be better than the other, I’ll spare the analogies!

As mentioned, it’s simply a bucket list kind of thing and something I want to personally achieve

march83

Postby march83 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:15 am

FWIW, 3 peaks is an easier but more social ride. I can understand the want to do one or the other.

I've done both - the 3 Peaks was spent in large bunches on the road with lots of new people to talk to and lots of opportunities to hide from the wind. The Audax I did with a friend and we spent a small amount of time in groups but would have spent 90%+ of the day on the front in the wind towing weaker riders (or smarter riders), or riding on our own, side-by-side chatting as a pair. To put it in perspective, I weighed 95kg for the 3 peaks and burnt 7200 calories in 235km. For the last Audax I weighed 80kg and burnt 7300 calories in 250km. At the 3 Peaks you can always sit up and pick up a bunch to hide in or chat with. At the Audax you're very much on your own.

Personally, I'd take Bright every time for the atmosphere and the price, but to each his own...

roller

Postby roller » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:01 am

march83 wrote:I'd take Bright every time for the atmosphere and the price, but to each his own...
and the brewery, let's not forget the brewery.
inflammatory statement or idea

mtb1011

Postby mtb1011 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:02 pm

I've camped both times when I've done 3 peaks. I've picked up tickets late from non-starters so camping was the only option. you wouldn't believe how beautiful the sky is at night on top of falls, ... magic.

accommodation generally aren't cheap the go is to be with a group of mates to justify the cost.

It would be too hard driving up in the morning although from the back of falls could be an option, staying at Anglers Tavern.

and the descent is a great way to get into your mojo - a surreal experience descending down falls early am with lots of fellow cycling warriors.

sadly Alpine Classic has declined in numbers (I've done it about 5 times) whereas 3 Peaks is a fantastic smash-fest of hard riding, with a high calibre of fast experienced riders and BV awesome organization - most of the old audaxer types don't like it because they all go too fast they'd rather plod along in the alpine and there's a place for that, but 3 peaks is more for the tour de france wanna bes, and I'm one of them lol.

kb

Postby kb » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:35 pm

Jawa wrote:Hi guys,

Thinking about tackling Peaks Challenge Falls Creak next year for the first time, i’ll save the training talk for another day though

What would be some good advice then staying outside of the Falls precinct. Thinking getting up there of the morning would difficult, then there’s parking etc etc. Then there's the should I book now or later argument too

Cheers
I've hiked into and out of Cope Hut camp site and rode the 11.5km to and from Falls twice. Not for everyone but it was peaceful and I preferred it to staying on the mountain in 2015. Cold though, the trip to the start averaged 0°C

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:45 pm

Of course, at the AAC, you can do 4 of the 7 peaks in the one ride. Basically you do out and back to Mt Buffalo, then
you do Hotham/Falls/Tawonga.

Sadly I was a DNF this year with a mechanical just before Anglers Rest, so I only managed 200km of the 320km ride, but was still fresh as a daisy. I was solo for 90% of the time, being about 7th or 8th to the top of Buffalo, and 3rd or 4th back to Bright. After Bright I didn't see another rider until the water stop 2/3 of the way up Hotham. I was taking it pretty easy, doing about 65% max hr to save myself for the slog to back of falls, which is where i was going to unleash the beast before the easy run home. My rear wheel had other ideas though.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

WileECoyote

Postby WileECoyote » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:55 am

Researching this now, and hoping to find some powered or unpowered site for a swag next to the car somewhere convenient to the start.

Any suggestions or experiences?

My searching turned up several free camping sites which will be first come first served and within 25km from start. But what about caravan or camping parks that can be booked?
Eg
http://www.findacamp.com.au/camp-site.p ... &camp=1364

Scott No Mates

Postby Scott No Mates » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:36 pm

WileECoyote wrote:Researching this now, and hoping to find some powered or unpowered site for a swag next to the car somewhere convenient to the start.

Any suggestions or experiences?

My searching turned up several free camping sites which will be first come first served and within 25km from start. But what about caravan or camping parks that can be booked?
Eg
http://www.findacamp.com.au/camp-site.p ... &camp=1364
The BHP Road is not suitable for caravans due to several hair pin bends. Closest Caravan Park is at Mt Beauty (35km but close to an hour's drive away).

There is no camping within the resort boundaries AFAIK. There may be some sites at Howmans Gap between Bogong Village and Falls Creek.
I really should take up cycling!

mikeosten

Postby mikeosten » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:55 am

(AT) Jawa - just seeing if you are still looking for accommodation?

leebow

Postby leebow » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:53 am

Not sure if this thread is still current, but I don't know how many of you know about Howman's Gap Accommodation for 3 peaks. They're only 4kms from Falls Creek resort and are charging about $200 for a 2 night stay with dinner and breakfast included.