Do NOT use Photobucket

Cardy George

Do NOT use Photobucket

Postby Cardy George » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:30 pm

Photobucket has finally shot themselves in the head. I only used them for linking my images as I happened to already have an account with them before I joined here. Now I apparently have to pay $400 per year to be able to share my own photos......

Not Happy Jan :evil:

I seem to be the worst affected, but I have seen a few others with the same problem

The Vintage Caravan forum I'm on has been decimated :cry:

outnabike

Re: Do NOT use Photobucket

Postby outnabike » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:37 pm

I used it the other day and didn't notice a problem. I am not a paid up member as I have always found the site very slow and clunky.
I like the forums that allow you to insert a Pic from your own computer.
I don't see that facility on this forum. :)
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

uart

Postby uart » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:09 pm

Yeah I've found photobucket kind of slow and ad ridden for some time now.

Google photos seems to work fairly smoothly and ad free. I did have a bit of a drama a few months back with Google Drive when they disabled direct linking of photos (though in fairness Google Drive was never really meant for this purpose, and it was always a bit of a "hack' to do it). But Google Photos continues working well for this purpose.

The following is a test image from my junk google account. Can everyone see this ok? If so, then this is what I'd recommend as a replacement for p-bucket.
Last edited by uart on Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Scott No Mates

Postby Scott No Mates » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:52 pm

uart wrote:The following is a test image from my junk google account. Can everyone see this ok? If so, then this is what I'd recommend as a replacement for p-bucket.

Other than the distortion of the wheels and the blurring of the guy bringing up the rear the picture of the herd of unicorns look fine.
I really should take up cycling!

Zippy7

Postby Zippy7 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:05 pm

Test reply with an old photobucket link

edit: seems to still work for me. Perhaps you have used up your quota?
I don't use photobucket often.
Successful trades : Rheicel, Je, wgc138, 2ndeffort, celeste boy, rodneycc

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:07 pm

yeah for years photobucket was great, worked perfectly and easy to use. Had ads, but hey got to pay for it somehow. Then they did a big site change and it turned clunky and crap, an over the last 5 or so years has steadily gotten worse, with more and more adds and now the "you must pay" stuff.

I downloaded everything a a couple of months ago and went searching for a new hosting site... but it's hard, nothing works as well as photobucket... used to. I almost used flickr, but that seems to be at deaths door, plus their bonkers linking restrictions (well bonkers to me anyway, pet hate).

Looks like google photos is going to be the way forward.

But Uart, I can't see your pic unless its of a minus sign in a grey circle...
Look 675 Pro Team, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Scott Spark 710, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:19 pm

There goes 1700 of my posts. A couple weeks ago, I noticed that Photobucket wasn't usable if adblock was on. So I turn it off, and the page was full of ads. And now they decide to make users pay a huge amount to enable 3rd party hosting.

Time to move over to another service. I've got a Flickr which only has 1TB for free users. Other than Google photos, are there any other good sites? It'll be a long process to update all my important threads here with new links.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:15 pm

Zippy7 wrote:Test reply with an old photobucket link.............

edit: seems to still work for me. Perhaps you have used up your quota?
I don't use photobucket often.

Unfortunately it's not a quota thing. They have updated their terms of service stating the new regime. They've been rolling through their database, and an account that works tonight may not work in the morning.

QuangVuong wrote:There goes 1700 of my posts. A couple weeks ago, I noticed that Photobucket wasn't usable if adblock was on. So I turn it off, and the page was full of ads. And now they decide to make users pay a huge amount to enable 3rd party hosting.

Time to move over to another service. I've got a Flickr which only has 1TB for free users. Other than Google photos, are there any other good sites? It'll be a long process to update all my important threads here with new links.

Yep. I'm following a thread on AussieV8 that was started in 2009 and went for 120 pages. Every photo of his immaculate HZ Wagon GONE

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:37 pm

uart wrote:The following is a test image from my junk google account. Can everyone see this ok? If so, then this is what I'd recommend as a replacement for p-bucket.

I can not see this image

uart

Postby uart » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:21 pm

eeksll wrote:I can not see this image

That's weird. Some people can see it and others not.

What about this one (big guy on a bike)

Last edited by uart on Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scott No Mates

Postby Scott No Mates » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:28 pm

Nup, still seeing unicorns and a few midgets.
I really should take up cycling!

PA

Postby PA » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:33 pm

Most internet accounts include an amount of web server space. I upload all my pics for sharing on here to my own space and link them from there.

How many poor Lycra's had to die to make his outfit? Good on him.
In the morning, we RIDE.

uart

Postby uart » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:18 pm

PA wrote:Most internet accounts include an amount of web server space. I upload all my pics for sharing on here to my own space and link them from there.

Even that can be problematic though PA. The same problem as using your ISP supplied email address for "everything", you're now locked in and can't change ISP.

I've got a very annoying issue related to this at the moment. I've got about 12 months before I'm forced onto NBN, and my current (small) ISP is not providing NBN :shock: So actually I'm being forced by the NBN to change ISP and ditch my current email (linked to a huge amount of services that I use on the web) and also ditch my user web space. Very frustrating! :x

How many poor Lycra's had to die to make his outfit? Good on him.

Ok, so you can definitely see my images then. It's funny, the first thing that always comes to my mind when I see that photo is "get me the name of the wheel builder!". :D

BJL

Postby BJL » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:18 am

Strange times uart.

Yesterday, I could see the first pic you linked to. Today I can't but could see it in eeksll's quote. Refreshing the page removed it from the quote as well so assuming that was somehow cached. But I can see the pros drafting the fat bloke. :?

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:20 am

Nope, can't see it on my phone.

Ahhh - I can see the big fella in the next post.
Last edited by RonK on Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:21 am

uart wrote:
PA wrote:Ok, so you can definitely see my images then. It's funny, the first thing that always comes to my mind when I see that photo is "get me the name of the wheel builder!". :D

Um, the big fella was the only one I could see, the rest were blocked. Guessing you did something different for that image?

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:50 am

uart wrote:

About 0.5 W/kg. And chapeau for giving it a go...

uart

Postby uart » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:37 pm

RonK wrote:Nope, can't see it on my phone.
Ahhh - I can see the big fella in the next post.

Cardy George wrote:Um, the big fella was the only one I could see, the rest were blocked. Guessing you did something different for that image?

Sorry guys. I was tidying up some folders and accidentally moved the first photo. Had to re-link it, it should be back now.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:18 pm

I'm using imgur at the moment. Seems OK, so far.

My mileage my vary.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:05 pm

uart wrote:

yeah i can see both now.

Maybe you can enlighten me on the google drive, my way is as follows
Move photo to a shared album which is available to be shared if people have the link
Click on the photo for it to open up, then right click > get image link.

However, I have had cases where this did not work. How I fixed it was to do all that again ... is there a missing step that I need to do, to be sure?

uart

Postby uart » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:42 pm

eeksll wrote:
uart wrote:
eeksll wrote:Maybe you can enlighten me on the google drive, my way is as follows
Move photo to a shared album which is available to be shared if people have the link
Click on the photo for it to open up, then right click > get image link.

Yep, that's basically what I do eeksll.

1. Click on "Albums" and then "New Album" to make an album.

2. In the album use the three vertical dot icon (more options) to set the sharing options and select "Share:
Anyone with the link can see these photos and the people who've been invited or joined
". Now any photos uploaded to this album will have those sharing options.

3. Upload or transfer files to the album you've just created.

4. To get a link do the following:

a) Click on the the album (you should see all of the images like big tiles)
b) Click on the tile of the photo that you want to share. This should display it as a large (almost full screen) image with a black border.
c) Right click this large image and select "Copy image address"

5. The image link is now in the paste buffer, and it's usually something ridiculously long like:

Code: Select all

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/CCQaY7CAP0f-7_5kvetb3LKElQUWKt-zUS7Wa180NhFYEhTXO6hMx6gz2iXpQu2vPeNDvKjM9GARXi5UmB1oIwQivr5cbYGx22Qh_km4q0vHISeXrCxa4P_grZ-zlpTnjE_mdMUQe3aY6vMB5qrsEdb5-uo8s9mc00HQLN2AbS7nTQYKhdleCUmE6ipWfwANfGxX0yb-2G3wauO0TZfdOiwp1YE48hFTQMLOaWZ94qUp4LnP-fIxZxtKnkCB46_tp5qvyLUUwue8iwzfKN3bGQoB_Z1cJL_yVSqFHlIAI91Nc9ZBLR0AHXU5RfkE0KEW_lnnpo595QDrY_3-AZ3FKUlwdXXFlj-GkleMPo-iQ1TgfHFf23F5WDqYIEbZfIsV1ztIlOjlhO9FA2wL0QwTmSzIWXylVrBJpcmus7GBGVmNqtD4k2DkEsGeVksAfJAGu6QQBAw91UCIjUeVwzCUCztHyquwfC1FV0FWuFCauEoLFXD8gwKCKatcpEtFNT4o5Dryj31-9Ubbbm8L_my3BaRdsp_DX2Bvzs2QroW2GWfzcvotwYoM_9F-Sb45qUyIfyBlDtfI3O2oF42U6FNfYRM1-70Z2icehV7Nkv2UJkzFOnHhxVnU4uEbU6tcMnJJNci10s6yWzeI0GYgqMbbdcpoOhbGaXpPNATX7fD2iA=w640-h572-no

You can now paste this link into forums like this using the img tags.

BTW. Some forums might insist on image links ending in .jpg (this one doesn't). In that case you can just append a '?.jpg' to the end of the link and it will usually work. That is:

Code: Select all

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/CCQaY7CAP0f-7_5kvetb3LKElQUWKt-zUS7Wa180NhFYEhTXO6hMx6gz2iXpQu2vPeNDvKjM9GARXi5UmB1oIwQivr5cbYGx22Qh_km4q0vHISeXrCxa4P_grZ-zlpTnjE_mdMUQe3aY6vMB5qrsEdb5-uo8s9mc00HQLN2AbS7nTQYKhdleCUmE6ipWfwANfGxX0yb-2G3wauO0TZfdOiwp1YE48hFTQMLOaWZ94qUp4LnP-fIxZxtKnkCB46_tp5qvyLUUwue8iwzfKN3bGQoB_Z1cJL_yVSqFHlIAI91Nc9ZBLR0AHXU5RfkE0KEW_lnnpo595QDrY_3-AZ3FKUlwdXXFlj-GkleMPo-iQ1TgfHFf23F5WDqYIEbZfIsV1ztIlOjlhO9FA2wL0QwTmSzIWXylVrBJpcmus7GBGVmNqtD4k2DkEsGeVksAfJAGu6QQBAw91UCIjUeVwzCUCztHyquwfC1FV0FWuFCauEoLFXD8gwKCKatcpEtFNT4o5Dryj31-9Ubbbm8L_my3BaRdsp_DX2Bvzs2QroW2GWfzcvotwYoM_9F-Sb45qUyIfyBlDtfI3O2oF42U6FNfYRM1-70Z2icehV7Nkv2UJkzFOnHhxVnU4uEbU6tcMnJJNci10s6yWzeI0GYgqMbbdcpoOhbGaXpPNATX7fD2iA=w640-h572-no?.jpg

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:41 pm

Test link from my Flickr

Seems ok. Thankfully my Avartar is saved to the site. I have no idea where that image is saved.

Now I guess I'll just move all my photos over.

See you in three months..... :evil:

chriso_29er

Postby chriso_29er » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:43 pm

Seems to be a use based issue.

I have over 1200 images and 95 videos on my photobucket account. But all resized to around 1000x600 so only 0.5GB all up. All is still working ok for me.

Seems the limit is 2.3GB where you will start to run into trouble.

Just to prove my point,
This was uploaded and linked today.
Cold drive out to my cold ride this morning :(

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:59 pm

Any free users who have hit that 2GB limit will have their 3rd party linking disabled. I've been using Photobucket since 2010, and had already passed that limit long before the updated policies, so now 7 years worth of posts over various forums are all gone(not visible).
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:06 pm

yeah i used to pay for photobucket way back when, maybe 2005ish, it was around $40/year, good value $400/year, not good value.
Look 675 Pro Team, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Scott Spark 710, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex