What, no 2017 Magpie thread yet?

idler

Re: What, no 2017 Magpie thread yet?

Postby idler » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:06 pm

Can confirm that the vicious bugger on Australia Ave at Sydney Olympic Park is back!
Rikulau Stainless Steel, Hillbrick Steel, Specialized Tarmac

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:30 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:I note the rate of injury per reported attack is 16%. That suggests to me handwaving away rider concerns about magpies isn't warranted. They clearly represent a threat to the safety of riders and can definitely cause harm. People have good reason to be concerned about them.
That's fine Alex.
As long as they remember the magpie represents a very minor threat in comparison to the motor vehicles they "share" the road with.
Don't allow fear of a cranky bird to cause a far worse incident.
I used a tuck today and my skilled aviator appeared to have no capacity to get near my face.
I'll report any different.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:32 pm

westab wrote: My friendly feathered friend nearly caused me to crash last night on my way to bible study - after dark. It was my fault as I was riding the short way to where we were meeting along near the tree where the nest is. I kept looking and listening for him and missed the large branch that had fallen on the path. It nearly brought me down. :oops:
The ped nearby had a small laugh and asked me if I was looking for the magpie - I didn't answer as we both laughed and moved the branch off the path. No damage done - hopefully lesson about swooping at night learned.

:oops: :lol:

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:10 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Alex Simmons/RST wrote:I note the rate of injury per reported attack is 16%. That suggests to me handwaving away rider concerns about magpies isn't warranted. They clearly represent a threat to the safety of riders and can definitely cause harm. People have good reason to be concerned about them.
That's fine Alex.
As long as they remember the magpie represents a very minor threat in comparison to the motor vehicles they "share" the road with.
I used a tuck today and my skilled aviator appeared to have no capacity to get near my face.
Just because there are other threats to riders doesn't diminish the concern people legitimately have about these birds. It's fallacious to suggest people don't also recognise other threats exist. Magpies represent an additional threat to safety / potential for injury.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:21 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
warthog1 wrote:
That's fine Alex.
Just because there are other threats to riders doesn't diminish the concern people legitimately have about these birds. It's fallacious to suggest people don't also recognise other threats exist. Magpies represent an additional threat to safety / potential for injury.
So does walking down stairs, climbing a ladder or getting up for a pee in the night.
The risk of injury is massively increased by unwarranted fear is my point.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:36 am

warthog1 wrote:
Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
warthog1 wrote:
That's fine Alex.
So does walking down stairs, climbing a ladder or getting up for a pee in the night.
Given 16% of reported attacks result in injury, I would contend people's concern for their safety is not unwarranted.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:55 am

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
warthog1 wrote:
Alex Simmons/RST wrote: Just because there are other threats to riders doesn't diminish the concern people legitimately have about these birds. It's fallacious to suggest people don't also recognise other threats exist. Magpies represent an additional threat to safety / potential for injury.
Given 16% of reported attacks result in injury, I would contend people's concern for their safety is not unwarranted.
Yes, but what's the probability of a cyclist being attacked by a magpie on any ride? I can't find any figures on this, but various internet sources (e.g. https://www.ehp.qld.gov.au/wildlife/liv ... _safe.html, or https://www.environment.sa.gov.au/files ... gbirds.pdf) seem to indicate that only a small proportion of magpies attack people. So that 16% you quoted (source?) is only part of the picture.

It's been about 7 years since a magpie last attacked me.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:39 am

I'm currently being terrorised by one (I think it's a magpie) on a daily basis, on my commute (even into dusk). Yes, terrorised. I can't ride that route without knowing that at any moment, death will descend from the skies, intent on crashing through my defenses with the aim of toppling me off my bike into a heap of detritus.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:12 am

lol
I've got a couple on my commute.
I don't know how I've survived thus far.
Sheer dogged guts, determination and a fearless, willing resolve to place myself in harms way despite the risk of a slight scratch.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:49 pm

Look.
Carry on and post about magpies everyone.
Some of them can be determined and strike like a messerschitt out of the sun I agree, totally surprising you.
I'll shut the flock up and read other threads ;)

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:54 pm

I got hit by one today on in Brisbane, went into the side of my face/helmet, nice :shock: was kind enough to only go for me the one time though.

That's about the 15th time i've been hit so far this year by 5 separate magpies (one guy got me 8 times :x )

Scott No Mates

Postby Scott No Mates » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:33 am

Had my first close call yesterday as I went around Artarmon Reserve - heard this bird's beak snap somewhere above me and disappeared. I won't be taking that path again (in daytime).
I really should take up cycling!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:26 pm

Hergest wrote:The one at the end of Powerhouse Road in Liverpool is having exploratory swoops as is the one on Greystanes Aquaduct.
That Greystanes aquaduct one is swooping now. Some guy warned me about it this morning. Solution is to turn off at Taylor Street and then ride along Merrylands Road up to Greystanes Road and then go left at the roundabout.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:37 pm

http://www.bellingencourier.com.au/stor ... eo/?cs=483
One victim, school student Tameka Connors of Hastings Secondary College's Westport campus, was lucky to avoid serious injury on her way to school earlier this week. She was left bleeding and with a gash to her head after the magpie attacked.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:50 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:http://www.bellingencourier.com.au/stor ... eo/?cs=483
One victim, school student Tameka Connors of Hastings Secondary College's Westport campus, was lucky to avoid serious injury on her way to school earlier this week. She was left bleeding and with a gash to her head after the magpie attacked.
I'm sure someone will come along with sarcastic remarks about the school student being scared of a little harmless bird. :roll: Most of them only really swoop, but some of them do much worse as you've highlighted. There are a few around Sydney that are dangerous.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:09 pm

Actually, I was just this second talking to my wife about this after clicking Alex's link and she reminded me:

My son was attacked by a magpie and ran. Not looking where he was going, he tripped awkwardly and broke his foot. He was 6 foot, solid as and in Uni at the time :lol:

I'd forgotten all about that.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:06 pm

Surprised not to be swooped over the weekend. Then I noticed my usual attacker has already fledged chicks out of the nest.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

silentC

Postby silentC » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:30 pm

There have been a couple of serious injuries involving broken bones here. It's a combination of an angry bird and an uneven surface on the shared path. Some very bad lumps in the asphalt. It's dodgy at the best of times but if you are waving an arm about trying to fend off a magpie, it's downright dangerous. Most of the road cyclists just go into full aero tuck mode, but it is the casual cyclists that end up in strife because they panic.

A couple of our's are active, not the one I ride past frequently though. Yet...
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

Mediocratus

Postby Mediocratus » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:47 pm

warthog1 wrote:lol
despite the risk of a slight scratch.
They are not all harmless. http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/magpi ... yglfz.html
This child may lose an eye as a result of an attack. It doesn't do to under estimate them.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:04 pm

Mediocratus wrote:
warthog1 wrote:lol
despite the risk of a slight scratch.
They are not all harmless. http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/magpi ... yglfz.html
This child may lose an eye as a result of an attack. It doesn't do to under estimate them.
Won't someone think of the children?
I am trying to stay out of this thread but if people want to keep quoting me......
FFS it is a 300gm bird and you are an adult of 200 times or more it's mass, wearing a helmet. It's not that hard. Drop your head and pedal.
I'm sorry, in the overall scheme of riding a bicycle on the road it simply doesn't rate as a risk I'm at all concerned about.
You may continue to quake in fear if you wish, just don't end up under a passing motor-vehicle as a result. That is the only real risk and easily avoided imo.

JPB

Postby JPB » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:45 pm

Yes a car will do more damage than a magpie.
But in my personal experience i have had a number of magpie attacks where they have drawn blood and fortunately zero times when a car and I have touched.
I am wary of both.
And a magpie will chase me on a bike path where i am safe from cars

sertse

Postby sertse » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:32 pm

Consequence of a car are worse, but generally it's something you can prepare for. Magpies are more unpredictable. The lack of control is one reason why magpies are more scary.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:03 am

warthog1 wrote: Won't someone think of the children?
I am trying to stay out of this thread but if people want to keep quoting me......
FFS it is a 300gm bird and you are an adult of 200 times or more it's mass, wearing a helmet. It's not that hard. Drop your head and pedal.
I'm sorry, in the overall scheme of riding a bicycle on the road it simply doesn't rate as a risk I'm at all concerned about.
You may continue to quake in fear if you wish, just don't end up under a passing motor-vehicle as a result. That is the only real risk and easily avoided imo.
What on earth has the weight of the bird and your own weight got to do with it? Or a helmet for that matter? The magpie isn't trying to crush you, it's trying to poke your eyes out with its very, very sharp beak and can come right out of the blue. It's a genuine concern for a lot of people. Would you also rubbish people who wanted to keep away from a brown snake on a path? It's only a light thing after all so using your weight ratio reckoning it shouldn't be anything to worry about.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:16 am

Hergest wrote:
What on earth has the weight of the bird and your own weight got to do with it? Or a helmet for that matter? The magpie isn't trying to crush you, it's trying to poke your eyes out with its very, very sharp beak and can come right out of the blue. It's a genuine concern for a lot of people. Would you also rubbish people who wanted to keep away from a brown snake on a path? It's only a light thing after all so using your weight ratio reckoning it shouldn't be anything to worry about.
Sure let's run with that analogy,
When the magpie is equipped with a fast acting neurotoxin that paralyses the muscles of respiration I'll commence to show some concern.
Until then it remains a 300 gm feathery fella defending it's nest that at worst delivers a light tap. I'll drop my head and pedal like I have for the last 20 odd years and hundreds strikes on my helmet and continue on unconcerned.
I'm yet to have an eye plucked out or even suffer a slight scratch.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:24 am

warthog1 wrote:
Hergest wrote:
Sure let's run with that analogy,
When the magpie is equipped with a fast acting neurotoxin that paralyses the muscles of respiration I'll commence to show some concern.
Until then it remains a 300 gm feathery fella defending it's nest that at worst delivers a light tap. I'll drop my head and pedal like I have for the last 20 odd years and hundreds strikes on my helmet and continue on unconcerned.
I'm yet to have an eye plucked out or even suffer a slight scratch.
You might possess a thick skull as a defence against injury. :lol: