What, no 2017 Magpie thread yet?

westab

Re: What, no 2017 Magpie thread yet?

Postby westab » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:53 am

Kev365428 wrote:
g-boaf wrote:
Kev365428 wrote:That one on Cawdor Rd is an old time expert.
Much blood drawn by that particular bird.
I'm tempted to try and offer it food, at least make it more friendly towards me.
He'll take the food then peck your eyes out for dessert.

Kev.
Kev - thanks for the laugh. May not be true but it is funny. :mrgreen:

Well as if on the magpie near my mates place reads this forum - he is back and swooping me again. So for the next few months I'll avoid the area except on Tuesday mornings when my mate and I meet to pray and read the Bible.

And Warthog - I'm with you the Magpies don't worry me those in cars do. I am only avoiding the area so this bird doesn't get hurt hitting my helmet or something else.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:04 pm

westab wrote: ...
And Warthog - I'm with you the Magpies don't worry me those in cars do. ....
They can get licences now :shock:

I'm really worried, they can chase even faster now !!! :mrgreen:

westab

Postby westab » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:46 pm

MichaelB wrote:
westab wrote: ...
And Warthog - I'm with you the Magpies don't worry me those in cars do. ....
They can get licences now :shock:

I'm really worried, they can chase even faster now !!! :mrgreen:
HaHa - people in cars do :roll:
and like the magpie its only a small percent that cause the issues

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:07 pm

warthog1 wrote:As per the magpie thread from every other year.
I have a helmet on. The magpies don't concern me in the slightest :|
It is the distracted, deranged, debillitated or disabled drivers that concern me.
A 300g bird king of pales into insignificance when compared to the 1400 kg motorised object driven by a wide range of incompetent or malicious fools.
Some years back I had one particularly aggressive local maggie that would draw blood and leave a nasty facial/ear cut.

Whilst that is not the same as what a motor vehicle driver can do, the issue of maintaining alertness and riding a sound line means they can and do become a danger.

There used to be one at a local velodrome as well which was no fun given you came around into line of fire every 20 odd seconds and really needed to be concentrating on other matters when riding a track.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:29 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
It is the distracted, deranged, debillitated or disabled drivers that concern me.
A 300g bird king of pales into insignificance when compared to the 1400 kg motorised object driven by a wide range of incompetent or malicious fools.
Some years back I had one particularly aggressive local maggie that would draw blood and leave a nasty facial/ear cut.

Whilst that is not the same as what a motor vehicle driver can do, the issue of maintaining alertness and riding a sound line means they can and do become a danger.

There used to be one at a local velodrome as well which was no fun given you came around into line of fire every 20 odd seconds and really needed to be concentrating on other matters when riding a track.
I'm yet to come across one that hits anywhere but the helmet.
Yes sometimes it's a decent thwack, but I've learnt to ignore it.
I remain unconcerned.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:47 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Alex Simmons/RST wrote:

I'm yet to come across one that hits anywhere but the helmet.
Yes sometimes it's a decent thwack, but I've learnt to ignore it.
I remain unconcerned.
Yeah most are not so bad, mostly it's the unknown strikes that unnerve you and I completely understand why it can really freak people out. I simply prefer to avoid the area at that time of year. Fortunately I can choose to do that.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:56 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote: Yeah most are not so bad, mostly it's the unknown strikes that unnerve you and I completely understand why it can really freak people out. I simply prefer to avoid the area at that time of year. Fortunately I can choose to do that.
I can too. They are generally a bit lame around here however.
There was a butcher bird on the tt circuit in Mildura. I admired that bird's tenacity :)

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:43 pm

Got swooped by one on Friday afternoon, five minutes from my place. :shock:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

fishwop

Postby fishwop » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:54 pm

Kurrajong Rd, North St Marys (NSW) opposite CNH factory for anyone familiar with the area, the maggie has been swooping on and off for the last couple of weeks. He ran into my arm today, is becoming more aggressive. I've had this one in previous years as well.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:15 pm

If someone would like to set up a thread I'll sticky it.
Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

CDR

Postby CDR » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:28 pm

Hey guys, first post here, been more of a lurker but enjoying the site all the same.

Anyone in Melbourne that rides the Seaford to Patterson Lakes bike path be careful when nearing the Thompsons road overpass as there is a swooping maggie very close to the beginning of it.

It's no issue when coming from Patterson Lakes as you are usually going too quick for it to cause issues but when approaching the overpass you are going slow enough for him to start divebombing.

He hasn't been too aggressive yet but be on the lookout.

Cheers.

Neddysmith

Postby Neddysmith » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:15 am

first swoop of the year this morning riding into work, just as i was half way up the final climb which is only 300m i felt a tap to the helmet i wasnt expecting then saw the shadow, no big deal, just means i have to ride a bit quicker up the final stretch from now on, hahaha

CaffeineAU

Postby CaffeineAU » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:20 am

I've been swooped a uncountable number of times over the years. This is the first time one has ever taken a piece of me home. Bella Vista, between the Circa shopping centre and the M7 on Old Windsor Road. It followed me into the covered pedestrian bridge to keep having a go at me. Ended up taking a bit out of my ear. It took quite some effort to stop the bleeding :shock:

djw47

Postby djw47 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:01 pm

Bad things happen therefore slightly less bad things are not worth discussing? :roll:

I can generally hear a car approaching, the first indication of a magpie is usually a disconcerting thwack on the head that is terrifying and unexpected. It may not be in the same league as the impact from a car but I assume that there are far more riders hit by magpies every year than by cars.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:35 pm

I found one this morning on Park Avenue, Cammeray between the golf course and tennis courts. I bet the golfers on the first and second are well acquainted with him already. No avoiding it unless I loop back and go an entirely alternate route to the link towards North Sydney. Now that I know he's there I probably wont avoid the area unless he actually starts hitting things/me.

Jim

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:44 am

djw47 wrote:
Bad things happen therefore slightly less bad things are not worth discussing? :roll:

I can generally hear a car approaching, the first indication of a magpie is usually a disconcerting thwack on the head that is terrifying and unexpected. It may not be in the same league as the impact from a car but I assume that there are far more riders hit by magpies every year than by cars.

It is a 300g bird hitting your helmeted head. How terrifying can it be?
The 2000kg car is going to squash your head like a ripe tomato, helmet or not, if you go under it, but the 300g magpie is terrifying?

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:57 pm

In the interests of disclosure I copped my most skilled aviator on my commute this afternoon .
Came in silent and brushed the right side of my face. I felt something just under my (uncovered) R eye.
This bird has worked out it is a waste of time smacking into the helmet and appeared to be going for a more effective deterrent.
A very good effort 8) and I will work on my aero tuck through there from now on.

westab

Postby westab » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:59 pm

warthog1 wrote:In the interests of disclosure I copped my most skilled aviator on my commute this afternoon .
Came in silent and brushed the right side of my face. I felt something just under my (uncovered) R eye.
This bird has worked out it is a waste of time smacking into the helmet and appeared to be going for a more effective deterrent.
A very good effort 8) and I will work on my aero tuck through there from now on.
I hope you aero tuck is improved by either a pair of safety glasses or sunnies. I might be old and soft but I simply won't ride without either as I think my vision is too important to live without (not saying that you are likely to loose yours by not wearing or that wearing them will ensure that I keep mine). I also find it more comfortable to ride with eye protection on (especially when it is windy). Good luck with your feathered friend.

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:59 pm

rode with my kid to daycare and decided to gran stuff for dinner on the way home. remembered the magpies so went a different way. Alas shop was not open that early. Went out again at lunchtime and did not remember the magpie until the first of 5 hits on the helmet. this is on the quiet back streets in newington

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:32 pm

westab wrote:
warthog1 wrote:In the interests of disclosure I copped my most skilled aviator on my commute this afternoon .
I hope you aero tuck is improved by either a pair of safety glasses or sunnies. I might be old and soft but I simply won't ride without either as I think my vision is too important to live without (not saying that you are likely to loose yours by not wearing or that wearing them will ensure that I keep mine). I also find it more comfortable to ride with eye protection on (especially when it is windy). Good luck with your feathered friend.
They always fog up and give me grief.
First time the bugger has swooped me. He's a gun.
I'm not going a different way because it helps me avoid an ugly stretch of busy road and intersection.
I'll see how I go in the morning.
I'll ride on the drops and keep an eye on the mirror for the messerschmit's approach :)

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:10 am

Have had one appear on my weekend ride route (between Tyabb & Somerville, Frankston Flinders Rd) which gives me a dilemma.
Run the gauntlet or detour up an 18% climb :?

westab

Postby westab » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:27 am

warthog1 wrote:
westab wrote:
They always fog up and give me grief.
First time the bugger has swooped me. He's a gun.
I'm not going a different way because it helps me avoid an ugly stretch of busy road and intersection.
I'll see how I go in the morning.
I'll ride on the drops and keep an eye on the mirror for the messerschmit's approach :)
Mate fair enough - and I'd take a the swoops every time over the unsuitable stretch of road.

My friendly feathered friend nearly caused me to crash last night on my way to bible study - after dark. It was my fault as I was riding the short way to where we were meeting along near the tree where the nest is. I kept looking and listening for him and missed the large branch that had fallen on the path. It nearly brought me down. :oops:
The ped nearby had a small laugh and asked me if I was looking for the magpie - I didn't answer as we both laughed and moved the branch off the path. No damage done - hopefully lesson about swooping at night learned.

Harrys767

Postby Harrys767 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:04 pm

Mods, please edit if this is against the rules.

I'd encourage you to log the attacks on http://MagpieAlert.com The features and functions of the website are very very useful for cyclist/runners/walkers and thousands of Magpie Attacks are logged there each year (1100 attacks with 170 injuries so far this "season") and it would be a lot more use to the community than a few reports here on the thread. If you set it up right you can even receive alerts when new attacks are logged in your area / on your cycling route.

As for the funny/painful anecdotes... Keep them coming! :-)

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:14 pm

Harrys767 wrote:"""""""""""
It`s been mentioned on the 11th post in the 1st page.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:58 pm

I note the rate of injury per reported attack is 16%. That suggests to me handwaving away rider concerns about magpies isn't warranted. They clearly represent a threat to the safety of riders and can definitely cause harm. People have good reason to be concerned about them.