What, no 2017 Magpie thread yet?

Patt0

Re: What, no 2017 Magpie thread yet?

Postby Patt0 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:23 am

Thirty kilometre commute, one magpie and he is not even reliable. Saturday trundle down the park to turn the legs over, maybe 5km. Lost count after 8.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:32 am

A maggi gave me a talking to in the Dandenong park the other day.
Not attacking me but giving sharp snaps with its beak. So I turned around the mobius in it's holder filming rearwards, and did another run to get some picks. Early morning so a little bit lacking in daylight but let me introduce you to my friend.

ImageSnapShot(138) by Paul Klat, on Flickr
The beaks :) napping go away...
ImageSnapShot(134) by Paul Klat, on Flickr

ImageSnapShot(135) by Paul Klat, on Flickr
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:50 pm

outnabike wrote:A maggi gave me a talking to in the Dandenong park the other day.
Not attacking me but giving sharp snaps with its beak. So I turned around the mobius in it's holder filming rearwards, and did another run to get some picks. Early morning so a little bit lacking in daylight but let me introduce you to my friend.
What you need there is a tail gunner :P

Richard

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:33 pm

Love those pics - they are great birds, protective and brave when you think about it.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:35 pm

Patt0 wrote:Thirty kilometre commute, one magpie and he is not even reliable. Saturday trundle down the park to turn the legs over, maybe 5km. Lost count after 8.
If you get out of the busier urban areas they are prolific and protective. I can't ride north or east from Balwyn and not be swooped several times per ride at the moment. :)

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:54 pm

WyvernRH wrote:
outnabike wrote:A maggi gave me a talking to in the Dandenong park the other day.
What you need there is a tail gunner :P

Richard
Watch out what you asked for, they might bring out the reinforcements of magpies with machine guns. :lol:

ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

Neddysmith

Postby Neddysmith » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:33 am

cyclotaur wrote:Love those pics - they are great birds, protective and brave when you think about it.
Yeah i loved the pics too, but brave birds im not too sure, i got repeatedly swooped coming up Wellington Rd yesterday by a bird who was eyeballing me from the very top a tree until i had passed him, it was only then he commenced his swooping runs, hahaha

djw47

Postby djw47 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:48 pm

cyclotaur wrote:Love those pics - they are great birds, protective and brave when you think about it.
There's nothing brave about attacking from behind. They're cowards, pure and simple. :evil:

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:14 pm

djw47 wrote:
There's nothing brave about attacking from behind. They're cowards, pure and simple. :evil:
Get A Grip. Sorry! My mistake! You've already got one.

We are talking about a 300 gram bird taking on 100 kg of bicycle plus rider. This would be equivalent to a human being attacking a 30 tonne Tyrannosaurus Rex.

If you should be unlucky enough to be bush whacked by a T-Rex on your daily commute, I don't think your fellow bloggers will judge you too harshly if you attack it from behind.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:14 pm

djw47 wrote:
Not cowards - just smart. 8)
Unless you are surrounded by concentrated maggie territories they are a minor nuisance for a few months per year. And you get to know where they are so pretty easy to avoid if you want to go to the trouble.

Anyway, I take the view that they were here first so....good luck to 'em, I say. :wink:

Nate

Postby Nate » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:57 pm

Had the usual VERY aggressive butcher bird this morning.
had a couple of cracks even though i did my arm wavey thing (normally they dont get within 2m after i do that).

So will try an experiment...
Stopped & got off the bike & then followed him & started to stare him down today.
He was in small 3-4m trees so i followed him from tree to tree & he was going crazy yapping away. Some big staring down between us too.
Did a little branch shake - "just so he knows i can get to him", he was about 2-3m away - so nothing that would hurt the little guy.
Will try this a few times & see the effect.

Next option will be to grab a few worms from my worm farm & feed him up a little - see how he goes with that.

Nate

Postby Nate » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:24 pm

Nate wrote:So will try an experiment...
Stopped & got off the bike & then followed him & started to stare him down today.
He was in small 3-4m trees so i followed him from tree to tree & he was going crazy yapping away. Some big staring down between us too.
Did a little branch shake - "just so he knows i can get to him", he was about 2-3m away - so nothing that would hurt the little guy.
Will try this a few times & see the effect.

Next option will be to grab a few worms from my worm farm & feed him up a little - see how he goes with that.
2 days & nothing!
so far seems to "work"... data is low...

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:06 pm

The little terrorist on Purves Rd behind Arthurs Seat was active this morning. Sucks riding uphill having nowhere to go :lol:

JPB

Postby JPB » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:39 pm

Is the one on Old Windsor Rd near the Glenwood overbridge still active?
I have seen anything on the magpie website in the last week or so.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:41 am

Got hit twice on the Eastern Service rd at Burpengary this morning. The one on the corner with Uhlmann rd is alwaysy there but the one down near Brisbane RV's is a first for me. This is the first time this season. I guess it's because the sun is coming up earlier now.

CaffeineAU

Postby CaffeineAU » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:19 pm

JPB wrote:Is the one on Old Windsor Rd near the Glenwood overbridge still active?
I've heard from a number of workmates that he hasn't attacked them in the last few days

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:13 pm

sort of missed some of my regular magpie "friends" this year - assume others wore them out! but got a first but not sure how to spell it a Myna on a slow uphill and nearly home - very aggressive and more in your face than a Magpie but obviously smaller - must only pick on cyclists as I regularly walk the same route without incident

fishwop

Postby fishwop » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:21 pm

...but stupid, to think that a cyclist or pedestrian anchored to the ground could be a threat to their nest.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:25 pm

Got a Noisy Miner on my daily ride route deciding to have a go now. Doesn't hit you in the back of the head like the Magpies on my weekend route, but swoops making a lot of racket.

Found myself yelling at him he needs to harden up and have a go like a Maggie :lol:

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:02 pm

Got swooped by a big crow the other day. Looked much bigger than a magpie when I looked over my shoulder. Didn't touch me, just made a lot of noise

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:54 pm

Arbuckle23 wrote:Got a Noisy Miner on my daily ride route deciding to have a go now. Doesn't hit you in the back of the head like the Magpies on my weekend route, but swoops making a lot of racket.

Found myself yelling at him he needs to harden up and have a go like a Maggie :lol:
Have them in my area too. They are usually all bluff, lots of noise and a single swoop and that's about it. But the local ones leave me alone completely. :)

I've never had trouble with crows.

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:48 pm

There are two places on one of my regular routes where I have been getting swooped. The swoops are fairly desultory affairs - a bit of squawking appearing to come from some distance away followed by a pass from behind close enough for me to feel the shock wave, but no actual contact. The last time was Tuesday (3rd).

I traveled the same route on Thursday, but in the reverse direction (clockwise instead of anticlockwise) and I was left alone. I have noticed before that some magpies will swoop you when you are going in one direction and ignore you when you are going the other way, and so I thought nothing of it. M7 cycleway users will no doubt recall the homicidal maniac that used to hang around the chook farm, terrorizing cyclists heading north and contemptuously dismissing cyclists heading south.

I went the same route today, in the "swooping direction" (yeah, I know I'm boring) and I was left alone. Does this mean magpie season is now over?

CaffeineAU

Postby CaffeineAU » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:29 pm

CaffeineAU wrote:
JPB wrote:Is the one on Old Windsor Rd near the Glenwood overbridge still active?
I've heard from a number of workmates that he hasn't attacked them in the last few days
I spoke too soon; he had another 3 goes at me today. Nothing as aggressive as before though.

JPB

Postby JPB » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:52 pm

CaffeineAU wrote:
CaffeineAU wrote:
I spoke too soon; he had another 3 goes at me today. Nothing as aggressive as before though.
I havent been past there for a few weeks now but with any luck I can head out of Glenwood that way this Thursday and see what happens.

CaffeineAU

Postby CaffeineAU » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:25 am

JPB wrote:
CaffeineAU wrote:
CaffeineAU wrote:
I havent been past there for a few weeks now but with any luck I can head out of Glenwood that way this Thursday and see what happens.
I'm in Glenwood too, it's the only magpie I've encountered in the area.