Kingaroy-Kilkivan Rail trail

stump1100

Kingaroy-Kilkivan Rail trail

Postby stump1100 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:09 am

Can anyone confirm that this trail is now bitumen (specifically Kingaroy to Murgon) and can it be ridden using a road bike?

RonK

Re: Kingaroy-Kilkivan Rail trail

Postby RonK » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:49 am

I believe it is but no doubt the South Burnett Regional Council or the South Burnett Rail Trail Facebook page can confirm.

This video was posted a couple of weeks ago.

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

stump1100

Postby stump1100 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:40 am

Thanks Ron...You know I believe we used to work for the same mob in the Transit Centre Building back 98/99.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:56 am

Quite possibly - the Brisbane IT world is a small one. I was working in that building at the time.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:35 am

A mate of mine has done Murgon to Kilkivan and back recently and says while it's all sealed, it is very rough and takes a lot of effort out of you. I'll be doing the whole thing with him on October 1, so i'll be able to give you a more in depth report then :)
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.

Dafyd

Postby Dafyd » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:21 pm

I'm the admin for the South Burnett Rail Trail's Facebook page, and your friend is partly right and partly wrong.

The South Burnett Rail Trail runs between Kingaroy to Murgon, and because it crosses the Tick Line a decision was taken by the South Burnett Regional Council to make it a fully sealed trail (for cyclists, walkers and runners) and forbid horse-riders. This 42km trail was fully sealed in late June 2017 and it's a fairly easy and fairly flat trail to ride, passing through some very pretty countryside.

The section between Murgon and Kilkivan is entirely in "ticky" country, so Gympie Regional Council allows horse-riders as well as cyclists, walkers and runners on that section, and it is unsealed. We believe this part opened in early September 2017 and know it will be officially opened on September 22. It has a grass surface in rural areas (ie most of its length) and a dirt surface in town areas (ie Goomeri and Kilkivan), so you'd really need a mountain bike to tackle it.

In addition, this bit of trail crosses the Kinbombi Range - a major barrier for the original railway builders - so this part is probably what your friend found so tough.

Anyway, I hope this information helps - look forward to seeing you at the South Burnett Rail Trail's official opening celebrations on Sunday, October 1

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:38 pm

Turns out i'm the one who was partly wrong, he actually rode murgon to kingaroy, not kilkivan :oops: . I'm building up a new gravel bike with 700x42s for it, and he'll be on the tourer he used last time.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.

Usernoname

Postby Usernoname » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:12 am

ldrcycles wrote:Turns out i'm the one who was partly wrong, he actually rode murgon to kingaroy, not kilkivan :oops: . I'm building up a new gravel bike with 700x42s for it, and he'll be on the tourer he used last time.

Might be up there in a couple of weeks. Flat bar roadie (converted 29er mtb) with 35's or +Hardtail with 3.00" for comfort. Which one????

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:17 pm

Usernoname wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:Turns out i'm the one who was partly wrong, he actually rode murgon to kingaroy, not kilkivan :oops: . I'm building up a new gravel bike with 700x42s for it, and he'll be on the tourer he used last time.

Might be up there in a couple of weeks. Flat bar roadie (converted 29er mtb) with 35's or +Hardtail with 3.00" for comfort. Which one????

I haven't seen any photos of the unsealed section, so i'm hesitant to recommend a bike for that. I'll be taking the gravel bike and hoping the unsealed section isn't too rough. Another mate rides downhill MTB tracks on a cyclocross bike with 32mm tyres, so i can't see a rail corridor being too much :)

Usernoname

Postby Usernoname » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:10 pm

Had a change of plan and took up my roadie (carbon endurance). Got up there a bit later than expected so a 10.00am start with mid 30C's temp. Rode from Wooroolin to Murgon and stopped for lunch. Headed north then on the unsealed section but only for a short distance. It's just been graded, surface was 2" deep soft dirt intermixed with tennis ball size jagged rocks. 25mm road tires did not cope well, turned around and rode back to Wondai for a early pickup.
There looks to be a interesting gravel road that runs parallel to the trail, turn left at the crossing just after Wondai (first crossing past the abounded CO-op building). Didn't see any taffic and well formed gravel. More interesting route the the sealed trail for CX/Mtb's, should take you straight into Murgon.

Return to “General Cycling Discussion”