Cyclists Rammed

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:14 pm

rob e wrote:Look at these comments from the investigating Police :

Sen Con Lean is concerned there's people out there who would deliberately target cyclists.

"It could be a disaster waiting to happen, if somebody hits a person like this at another time, it could end up being a fatality for no apparent reason.

"People do get frustrated with cyclists on the road, there are cyclists out there who don't obey the road rules, don't stay in their designated lanes.

"We all bloody get jacked off with it because the cyclists are on the road and they are travelling two or three or four abreast chatting away to each other, but it doesn't justify the behaviour that's happened in the early hours of Sunday morning."

fair dinkum, we have a problem here..........
yup...maybee he's covering up for his drunken son out ramming cyclists after he had a rant at the dinner table about cyclists riding on "the road" and to top it all off they were riding "2 abreast!" having a chat!.
Fix my dinner women!.

wintal

Postby wintal » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:16 pm

Hmm, while having a poke around the Victorian Police website, deciding whether to complain about Sen Con Lean's comments, I noticed this wonderful link: http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.as ... t_ID=17544

I dunno if there were 2 incidents and the media centre got mixed up or what, but it's pretty crap :P

If anyone feels like pointing out there displeasure, the complaint form is here: http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.as ... t_ID=11933

Cheers,
Leighton...

Jake

Postby Jake » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:21 pm

wintal wrote:Hmm, while having a poke around the Victorian Police website, deciding whether to complain about Sen Con Lean's comments, I noticed this wonderful link: http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.as ... t_ID=17544

I dunno if there were 2 incidents and the media centre got mixed up or what, but it's pretty crap :P

If anyone feels like pointing out there displeasure, the complaint form is here: http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.as ... t_ID=11933

Cheers,
Leighton...
That looks like they forgot to change the heading, because no cyclists mentioned in the story.

wintal

Postby wintal » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:24 pm

Jake wrote: That looks like they forgot to change the heading, because no cyclists mentioned in the story.
Nah, I don't think so - the cyclists story _was_ on the same road, and there's no other media releases about it on their page. I reckon they had the original one (about cyclists) up, then 'updated' it when the new one about the mitsubishi came in, assuming it was the same incident :P

Cheers,
Leighton...

Jake

Postby Jake » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:41 pm

wintal wrote:
Jake wrote: That looks like they forgot to change the heading, because no cyclists mentioned in the story.
Nah, I don't think so - the cyclists story _was_ on the same road, and there's no other media releases about it on their page. I reckon they had the original one (about cyclists) up, then 'updated' it when the new one about the mitsubishi came in, assuming it was the same incident :P

Cheers,
Leighton...
But this is a completely different car description.
Mr Oxford said the car was a late '80s or early '90s green Ford Falcon with a malfunctioning tail light.
A Mornington divisional van intercepted the vehicle at Eastbourne Road in Rosebud and arrested a 22-year-old Frankston woman.

She is currently being interviewed at Mornington police station in relation to possess a drug of dependence and various driving offences.

Police would like to hear from anyone who may have observed the Mitsubishi travelling in an erratic manner on the Nepean Highway between 7.30-8am.

bigs

Postby bigs » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:44 pm

Am I right in thinking that as a cyclist we can ride on the road even if there is a designated bike lane?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:16 pm

Sorry, that's not correct.

If there is a bike lane you must use it, subject to it being safe and practical.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

sittingbison

Postby sittingbison » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:18 pm

In my wide experience of the court systems
...possess a drug...and various driving offences...
and from watching way to much telly, eyewitnesses often give slightly different versions of events and descriptions.

1) group of hoons/female driver
2) cyclists being rammed/driving erratically
3) green Ford Falcon/ black Mitsubishi coupe
4) Mt Eliza at 3.50am/Frankston and Rosebud between 7.30-8am

using this information I expect Victorias Secret police to make an arrest imminently
I have a cunning plan, as cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University

kennyrocks

Postby kennyrocks » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:46 am

Read the comments, mind-blowing stuff :shock:
The ignorance, hate and bewildering atttitude towards cyclists is bordering on unbelievable. Why are some people so full of anger? Is Australia really such a red-neck country?

I'm pretty shocked actually, reading those comments has quite upset me to be honest. What happened to respect, dare I say it care and love for fellow human beings? As has been pointed out a few times, if it were pedestrians that were hit the story would be much bigger. Why does it make a difference?

Yours in disillusionment,

Kennyrocks

Relick

Postby Relick » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:22 am

Like many here, I've copped sh*t from car wielding hoons because I'm on a bike. Such an odd mentality. Annoyingly while walking my young son in his pram the other day, whilst he was sleeping, a bunch of said hoons drove past and screamed abuse for equally unfathomable reasons. Of course, he woke up. What is up with some people? :?

JustinD

Postby JustinD » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:30 am

il padrone wrote: Far be it for me to be a BV apologist, but I do regard this item as public comment from BV. I know it's the Feral Hun, but lots of bogans and even a few ordinary footie fans do read it :lol: .
I didn't see this news piece. I had been looking at the Age website and also BVs website.
I believe my point still stands, though, as it would seem this reporter contacted BV for a comment. Hardly proactive stuff from BV in going out with a media release on its own and being on the front foot, so to speak.
Justin
------------
Trek 5.2
Specialized Rockhopper '93 vintage & commuter
early 80s Gitane 531 road bike (work in progress to flat bar )

m@

Postby m@ » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:42 am

rob e wrote:Look at these comments from the investigating Police :

Sen Con Lean is concerned there's people out there who would deliberately target cyclists.

"It could be a disaster waiting to happen, if somebody hits a person like this at another time, it could end up being a fatality for no apparent reason.

"People do get frustrated with cyclists on the road, there are cyclists out there who don't obey the road rules, don't stay in their designated lanes.

"We all bloody get jacked off with it because the cyclists are on the road and they are travelling two or three or four abreast chatting away to each other, but it doesn't justify the behaviour that's happened in the early hours of Sunday morning."

fair dinkum, we have a problem here..........
That is f..king disgraceful :evil:

simonn

Postby simonn » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:59 pm

kennyrocks wrote:Is Australia really such a red-neck country?
rob e wrote:Sen Con Lean
Said...
rob e wrote:We all bloody get jacked off with it because the cyclists are on the road