Road vs MTB Shoe/Pedals

Dudeman

Road vs MTB Shoe/Pedals

Postby Dudeman » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:24 pm

Hi all,

I currently own a pair of Shimano MTB shoes and M520 Pedals, I will be getting my first road bike in a few weeks.
I was wondering how different they really are, It would be nice to keep my current shoes and get another set of pedals. But would look at road shoes and pedals at some point. How noticable would it be? Should I just get them right away as Ill probably get 15% off with my bike? If the difference is very minor I'll probably wait but any advice appreciated!

andrewjcw

Re: Road vs MTB Shoe/Pedals

Postby andrewjcw » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:41 pm

You'll be completely fine if you just pick up some mtb pedals and chuck them on the road bike and use your current shoes. A shop will probably even chuck them in for free with the bike depending on the deal you're getting.

Get roadie pedals/shoes if you just want to fit in and be cool and slip over walking down stairs at the coffee shop or be unable to do anything or go anywhere off the bike without going home and changing first.

Both great options.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:14 pm

Functionally they're basically the same. Any difference in feel will generally come down to the shoes; entry-level MTB shoes with softer soles can distort a bit more around the cleat, creating a pressure point on the ball of the foot on longer rides. Stiffer-soled shoes will alleviate this as they're more resistant to the concentrated stress.

Road cleats & pedals are a bit more stable, as they don't allow as much movement (depending on model from around 9 degrees lateral float, down to no float), and no roll float, where MTB pedals & cleats will have around 13 degrees lateral float, and because of the smaller cleat can "roll" slightly in the pedal too. This isn't really a negative, it's more just an adaptation to the more dynamic nature of MTB riding.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

London Boy

Postby London Boy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:34 pm

You won't even notice until you're doing longish rides. Stick with your mtb pedals until you decide that you need a stiffer sole and the extra stability you get from a road pedal. Not worth rushing to.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:47 pm

When you do get road pedals. the nearest thing to your mountain bike pedals is Speedplay.

I find with anything else on the roadie (besides a mtb pedal) the clip-in technique is too different and I get myself in a confused mess with foot placement and start needing to look down to clip in. That is good on neither a rocky mtb trail nor a busy road with a bus drafting your rear wheel.

Single-sided roadie pedals are simply diabolical from a safety perspective in busy traffic. Speedplay offer a similar feeling of free float to mtb pedals and they are double-sided.

ForkinGreat

Postby ForkinGreat » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:31 pm

Hey Dudeman, your Shimano M520s are probably fine for now, what Shimano MTB shoes do you have? & what brands do the bike shops near you carry (or can get in for you to try) ?

I have ridden with both Shimano MTB shoes, one of the stiffer XC styles (can't remember the model, it was a few years ago, as well as Specialized MTB comps - also an XC style with 2 velcro straps and a ratchet buckle. They have been fine for road riding as well as MTB trail riding.

As mentioned in your bike thread, I also have some Spesh road shoes and speedplay pedals, bit stiffer, bit lighter, but got them mainly for a bike fit, because of the adjustability of speedplay pedals. The double sided bit is good, the float is adjustable, and you can get a "walkable cleat" which is a bit better than the standard one.

In terms of foot comfort, I actually prefer the MTB XC shoes, as they aren't quite as snug as the road shoes, whilst still giving a good close fit with no excess movement in the shoe, and you can still tighten them down (a lot).

I have tried a bunch of different brand shoes on. Specialized just seem to be the ones that fit my foot shape the best, and accommodate my adjustable insoles.
Last edited by ForkinGreat on Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krrINXCwdM8

JPB

Postby JPB » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:23 pm

I ride both my MTB and road bike with the same SPD shoes. Never tried proper road shoes but with my SPDs I have zero clip in issues.
Try it and see how you go.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:50 am

+1 for the MTB shoes/pedals on road bikes. I have some basic Shimano MO89 shoes, which are a bit flexy. They are great for commuting and general riding and are particularly comfortable off the bike.

I have done long rides in them, but I recently upgraded to a pair of Fizik M3B shoes. They are very stiff and a bit better for longer rides or more serious rides. They are still very comfortable off the bike, but a bit harder to walk in - just because they are stiff.

As far as I can tell, the Fizik range of road vs MTB shoes (e.g R3 vs M3, R5 vs M5 etc) are basically the same shoe, with different cleats and having tread blocks on the MTB ones.

Return to “General Cycling Discussion”