Hipsters banned from Pro Cycling and the Fight for Follicle Freedom

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hipsters banned from Pro Cycling and the Fight for Follicle Freedom

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:37 am

A small movement may have just started to attempt to make pro-cyclists absolute conformists and could see the end of the road for Peter Sagen and Simon Geschke.

Identical helmets, sunglasses, jerseys, knicks, socks and shoes, bikes and computers have been used to keep team rider in-line, the only glimmer of individuality or expression is between the nose and chin.

The beard has been a perfect accessory to show how little time you have to shave, or how much time and money you have for professional weekly trim from the barber. It's a personality extension that proves that you have been a craft beer aficionado for at least as long as your beard has been growing and makes you part of the in-club who quality to give a knowing nod to the similarly bearded barista at your favourite cafe. A few of the forum members are bearded and I would argue that this makes them automatically better... so what's the problem and who is trying to take away this individuality and free expression via facial hair from cycling?

Walter Planckaert is the sports director of Belgium UCI Continental team Vlaanderen-Baloise (and former pro) who in enforcing the ban in his team citing that hygiene and elegance are in grave danger from "The snot and the leftover food in the beard of a rider in the middle of the race..."

He stopped short of prescribing the type of haircut that his team riders need to sport but is already leading by example (see photo). So I have one question when will Donald Trump send out his first tweet about it? The insanity has to stop and Movember is just around the corner and it could prove to be the perfect outlet for dissidents to Fight for Follicle Freedom.

Original News Story: Cycling Weekly

foo on patrol

Re: Hipsters banned from Pro Cycling and the Fight for Follicle Freedom

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:54 am

What a !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!! :roll: Who gives a ratsarse if a rider wants to wear a beard? :evil:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:54 am

bet he'd change the rules if Sagan was riding for his team.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:50 am

Probably can't grow a proper beard himself....Seriously... I had a boss like that once!

Richard
(With beard)

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:12 am

They're employees who shoulder the responsibility of being the sole visual representatives of the business they are employed by. If the employer wants to introduce a code of appearance that's his prerogative. As employees they are free to challenge this if it isn't in their contract, refuse to sign on if it is, or leave and work somewhere else. They're Pro Cyclists... their job is to win and look good doing it.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:36 am

Finally a team I could ride for, seeing as how I can't grow a beard. Such a shame I am old & fat & slow

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:25 am

Cant grow a beard myself, but my work place has a requirement that you must be able to wear all PPE for our job. This includes full face respirators, so beards are out.

brokenbus

Postby brokenbus » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:37 am

So April 1st is late this year???

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:47 pm

I can only grow a goatee and they are about 20 or so years out of date.

I am on holidays and had a bit of growth until yesterday. It was well grey anyway so off with it.

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:36 pm

warthog1 wrote:I can only grow a goatee and they are about 20 or so years out of date.

I am on holidays and had a bit of growth until yesterday. It was well grey anyway so off with it.

Catweazle rocked. :)

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:03 pm

Come on, are these guys pros or what? A beard costs you one second over 40km. :lol:

http://www.bikeradar.com/au/road/news/article/specialized-test-aerodynamics-of-a-beard-video-41144/

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:13 pm

Haha - yes, I could never understand the logic of shaving the legs but not the face.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:04 pm

I've seen some test results (might of been Trek who did it) which showed that shaving your arms and legs improved performance while shaving your face didn't
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:16 pm

Here is one for legs

arms

face

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:40 pm

All beards are not equally aero
Go!Run!GAH!

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:02 pm

Don't now how the pro's do it to be honest. I go mad with sweet and itchy with a 1-2 week growth, but agree it should be up to the individual.

longbody1

Postby longbody1 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:36 pm

When I was just a pup, a wise old bicycle racer told me "Remember to shave your face and legs before every race. Your sponsor likes to see you looking neat."

Alas, how standards have slipped.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:10 pm

longbody1 wrote:Alas, how standards have slipped.

or.... Alas, how times have changed!

Cycling has often been an elegant sport with honour and style in focus even if the reality through the lifelong battles with scandals remained omnipresent.

But cycling has also moved as we see kit, bikes, rider types and tactics change. The scruffy haircuts disappeared under caps from time to time but it was not always pretty (depending on who you ask).

Team Rock Racing was a short-lived example of a team designed to shake things up, with dopers and tattoos, it was out there to grab attention and the sponsors knew what it was about.

Peter Sagan has assumed the role of 'the showman' in this generation and the somewhat boring backdrop of Team Sky confirms that this is what keeps the sport engaging and exciting. His character make him attactive to Bora (sponsor) as the connection gives them an edge and access to a market who they may not otherwise have reached.

If it is a team strategy to be clean-shaven - go for it. That is something that can be achieved without public comment. But publicising this is an opinion and I don't feel that it can really go much further because other teams will milk the chance of going in the opposite direction.

Christopher

Return to “General Cycling Discussion”