Beginner Cycling Perth

Nardia

Beginner Cycling Perth

Postby Nardia » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:46 pm

Hi there,

I am a bit of a novice at cycling but what to get better for triathlons. I've got a bit of road cycling experience from previous tris and training by my self but I dropped off in the last half a year. I'm wanting to get back into it an join a cycling group but first I thought I better do some solo training and get my fitness back. Can anyone recommend a beginner cycling circuit or some sort of flat road in Perth I can just ride along and not worry too much about traffic etc? I live in Subi but happy to drive a bit to get to a better riding sport.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Scott_C

Re: Beginner Cycling Perth

Postby Scott_C » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:56 pm

If you avoid peak commuter times then the PSP (Principal Shared Path) along the Fremantle Railway heading into the city and then the PSP along the Kwinana Freeway is going to be the best option for mindless flat cycling (anything up to an Imperial Century will only have to deal with the one road crossing at Cranford Ave.)

If that is a bit boring you can do loops of the Narrows and Causeway bridges (or Narrows and Windham Bridge if you are willing to give CoP the finger and ride over Trafalgar Bridge in Claisebrook), Canning and Mt Henry bridges (there is a shared path all way round but it is unsuitable for reasonable speed cycling on the western side of the loop so you will need to do that section on-road or use it for a cool-down) or an extended loop using Roe Hwy and then coming back into the city along the Armadale Railway line (mostly on-road alongside the railway but off-road until that point), includes a few small hills compared to the other options.

If you have a few friends to ride with (at least 2 or 3) you can do the River Loop that goes from Perth to Freo along the Northern Shore and then Returns to Perth via the Southern shore and the Freeway PSP but the majority of that is on-road and there are sections that I view as unsafe for a single rider (Stirling Hwy getting across the river in Freo). For a flat track rider there are some significant hills on this route.

roller

Postby roller » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:18 pm

hit king's park and do laps.

it will do wonders for your fitness, it's beautiful in the morning and relatively free of cars.
inflammatory statement or idea

Velt

Postby Velt » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:51 am

I'm also looking to get back out there now that the weather has improved, though I'm looking to join a group having never ridden in one before.

Are there any outfits that do super beginner group riding?

Nardia

Postby Nardia » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:52 am

Thank you all for your suggestions - I definitely have a few options now! I live really close to kings park so that sounds like a good start point.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:22 pm

Velt wrote:I'm also looking to get back out there now that the weather has improved, though I'm looking to join a group having never ridden in one before.

South Perth Rouleurs do novice group training rides at 7am on Saturdays and have a reasonable set of progression through distances and speeds as you improve. The Novice group ride is 36km with an expected speed on the flat of at least ~25kph so you need to have a reasonable fitness base coming in (it is for novices to group riding, not cycling novices) and is mostly on quiet roads with a short section on the Freeway PSP (in order to avoid riding on Canning Hwy) the higher speed group rides are almost exclusively on road except where paths are the only option that heads in the correct direction (e.g. the path under Shelley Bridge).

The ride leader will help teach you group ride etiquette and signals and, if there are enough riders, give you a chance to practice rolling through (continuously rotating the ride group so everyone gets their turn out front doing the hard work and everyone gets a rest in the group).

There is no cost involved but you must agree to listen to the ride leader(s) and follow their directions and you need to have a road-worthy bike and a helmet and it is highly recommended to bring water and a light snack the ride will end at a coffee shop if you need a recharge before heading home.

uart

Postby uart » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:22 pm

Velt wrote:I'm also looking to get back out there now that the weather has improved, though I'm looking to join a group having never ridden in one before.

I'm on the east coast so I don't know this group, but it's just the first one that came up on google. Seems like a really good group for social and fitness riding though.
https://www.meetup.com/en-AU/Cycling-for-fun/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/253146641525600/

I sometimes ride with a similar social/fitness (not racing) orientated group here in Newcastle, and I find group rides are great for improving my motivation.

To be honest, there are quite a lot a of informal groups that meet up around the prime cycling routes of most cities and region centres for morning rides. If you go for some early mourning rides on any of the more popular routes in your area then you are likely to see various social groups out there. Most are very welcoming of new members, so if you see a bunch riding causally just ask "are you guys a social riding group".

Velt

Postby Velt » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:46 am

Scott_C wrote:

South Perth Rouleurs do novice group training rides at 7am on Saturdays and have a reasonable set of progression through distances and speeds as you improve. The Novice group ride is 36km with an expected speed on the flat of at least ~25kph so you need to have a reasonable fitness base coming in (it is for novices to group riding, not cycling novices) and is mostly on quiet roads with a short section on the Freeway PSP (in order to avoid riding on Canning Hwy) the higher speed group rides are almost exclusively on road except where paths are the only option that heads in the correct direction (e.g. the path under Shelley Bridge).

The ride leader will help teach you group ride etiquette and signals and, if there are enough riders, give you a chance to practice rolling through (continuously rotating the ride group so everyone gets their turn out front doing the hard work and everyone gets a rest in the group).

There is no cost involved but you must agree to listen to the ride leader(s) and follow their directions and you need to have a road-worthy bike and a helmet and it is highly recommended to bring water and a light snack the ride will end at a coffee shop if you need a recharge before heading home.

Thanks Scott,

I see you have the route on your website, I'll give it some practice to get my fitness up before coming along one weekend. So glad the sun is out now.

billy70

Postby billy70 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:46 pm

Velt wrote:
Scott_C wrote:

Thanks Scott,

I see you have the route on your website, I'll give it some practice to get my fitness up before coming along one weekend. So glad the sun is out now.

Great information Scott. SPR is a leading group in Perth because it’s very well managed, truly inclusive and allows for a wide range of abilities. I highly recommend joining a ride, with the expectations noted by Scott (i.e. listening to the Ride Leader, showing appropriate etiquette as per SPR website, etc.). Nothing onerous but definitely important for the safety of the group.

Return to “General Cycling Discussion”