Gear Changes

Gee Tee

Gear Changes

Postby Gee Tee » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:06 am

Has anybody had any problems with gear changing. I recently bought a new bike and didn't realize at first it would jump gears even though the levers have stamped on them 10 speed they will only click 8 up or 8 down which indicates that they are changing for a 9 speed. They can be adjusted to work on the bottom but when near the top will jump or it can be done in reverse and the jump will be at the bottom. These are Campagnolo shifters. Any thoughts on the matter other than they were incorrectly marked in manufacture.
Thanks

mikgit

Re: Gear Changes

Postby mikgit » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:03 pm

undo the cable from the rear mech and then see if it makes the correct number of shifts.
Probably cable stretch or just set up wrong.
Look 675 Pro Team, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Scott Spark 710, Yeti ARC

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:09 pm

That it a vague question that cannot really be answered without seeing it.

You don't seem very sure - is it actually 10 speed. Did you count the number of sprockets on the cassette?

Since it is a new bike you should be taking it to the shop you bought it from and getting them to fix it if it is not shifting correctly.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:09 pm

Mechanical gears on a bike will need finetuning over time. As a new bike, get the bike shop to fix it.

If you want to fine-tune yourself, it is fairly straight forward, usually just the cable tension (as was suggested) which (firstly) can be adjusted with the barrel adjustors and secondly there are the limit screws (small philips-head) on the rear derailleur to ensure the chain sits correctly in the top and bottom gears. (Actually, I do the limits first... but here I think is is just the tension)

I highly recommend a maintenance book for example "Zinn and the art of Road Bike Maintenance" which will help you sort out the little problems.

Return to “General Cycling Discussion”