Pawn Store Bikes

Ivanerrol

Pawn Store Bikes

Postby Ivanerrol » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:18 am

On my weekly shopping forays I pass two pawn stores on the strip.
They always have for sale bikes out on the footpath. I have been taking notice of the pricing, brands and condition of much what's on offer.
It seems who ever appraisers these bikes when they come in for pawn or sale don't do a very good job or have absolutely no idea.
There are crappy bikes on sale with prices which are more than new. $100 bikes with $500 or $600 prices on them and then the occasional expensive bike with a small price.
I spotted a 2015 Specialized flat bar for $75.00. I queried the price with the salesguy. He assured me that this was the price.
Cleaned it up, changed some cables, adjusted it and feebayed it for $450.00 (that was still a cheap price)

Keep yours eyes open. :wink:
"Follow your passion - go Broke. Follow an opportunity get wealthy" - Mike Rowe - Dirty Jobs

warthog1

Re: Pawn Store Bikes

Postby warthog1 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:41 am

:D

human909

Postby human909 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:20 pm

Method of pawn shop bicycle appraisal:
-does it have two wheels
-how shiny is it
-if it has front shocks add more to the price
-if it has rear shocks add even more...
-if it is a road bike IDFK but i think it is a worth a bit more because those fancy people ride them

(A flatbar road bike fits none of those categories. So is worth not much.)

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:24 pm

interesting to know what brands the other bikes are. I would have thought a "Specialized" branded bike would automatically put it in a higher bracket.

human909

Postby human909 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:51 pm

eeksll wrote:interesting to know what brands the other bikes are. I would have thought a "Specialized" branded bike would automatically put it in a higher bracket.

Pffft!

Specialized. Who has ever heard of that brand. It doesn't even have shocks. Plus it probably only has 2 cogs up front.

Those Huffys are shiny and normally have front and rear shock are clearly more common and superior. The higher price brackets are Mongoose bikes....

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:53 pm

No doubt the price reflects how much they fenced it for.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

skull

Postby skull » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:38 pm

the cashies in my area seems to know what the second hand price should be around. I have seen some rather mid to high end bikes in there for sale.

Makes me wonder on whether they are hot or not, because anyone I know who wanted to sell their decent bike would sell it privately for a reasonable price. Not take it to stash converters get bugger all for it and have them sell it off to a not the normal market of buyers for racing bikes.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:40 pm

skull wrote:
Makes me wonder on whether they are hot or not, because anyone I know who wanted to sell their decent bike would sell it privately for a reasonable price. Not take it to stash converters get bugger all for it and have them sell it off to a not the normal market of buyers for racing bikes.

I felt bad buying a trek 8500 MTB from a cashie shop for $400 as I'm sure it had to stolen. Don't usually go into cash shops but this came up on gum tree. I guess to some it looked rough...flat tyres, loose seat :roll: but on clean up it was mint with very little use. Shocks worth price payed on there own.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:18 am

We've got a Cashies over the road, so they bring stuff in to get checked over or serviced occasionally, and yeah, they seriously have no clue - their pricing is all over the place. Get two very similar bikes through a couple of months apart and there can be a pretty huge price difference.

Stronger than usual caveats apply regarding potentially stolen stuff, but if you know what you're looking at, and for, you can get some insanely good buys.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:15 am

Our local cashies seem to google the bikes and sell them at about 90% msrp ... despite the fact they are far from showroom pristine. They are probably the last place I look at if I am even remotely interested in a bike (although it could be a ploy for their "30% off bike sale" that pull off a few times a year
Go!Run!GAH!

Ivanerrol

Postby Ivanerrol » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:42 am

human909 wrote:Method of pawn shop bicycle appraisal:
-does it have two wheels
-how shiny is it
-if it has front shocks add more to the price
-if it has rear shocks add even more...
-if it is a road bike IDFK but i think it is a worth a bit more because those fancy people ride them

(A flatbar road bike fits none of those categories. So is worth not much.)

If it's got drop bars the price is automatically $500.00 - Claris, Sora or 105 doesn't seem to make much difference..

Reid's, Merida's and Avanti's always seem to have near MRSP or higher prices on them. Giant's all seem to have the same price irrespective of model.

I don't know anything about serious mountain bikes. I did see one which looked the goods for a reasonable price. Buy the time I'd researched it it had gone.
"Follow your passion - go Broke. Follow an opportunity get wealthy" - Mike Rowe - Dirty Jobs

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:38 pm

I have a 2011 Malvern-Star Oppy A5 that I got from a cashies a couple of years ago for $299. Alloy frame, carbon fork, 5700 105 group set, Mavic Aksium wheels.

I'm very happy with it - especially for that price.

My wife has an Avanti Aria flat-bar that we got from a cashies last year for $224.65 (I'll never forget that weird price.)

It was seriously grotty, but it cleaned up really well. I thought that it had black grips but they turned out to be two-tone black and white after applying a bit of soap and water!

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:49 pm

My local is pretty good at pricing across the range but I did get a good deal on an Avanti hardtail MTB a few years back. Looked clean and not trail used, checked the model and it was 3 years old. Paid less than 1/4 the new price.
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:41 am

Pawn shop staff are sometimes like the average joe citizen with their perspective of value of things. For bikes and musical instruments - categories which I know well-enough, as a rule they will be priced way too high. When the bikes are a bit 'hot' and the staff at certain stores are not performing due diligence, it is possible that they price it to quickly move it on.

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:56 am

Not totally on topic but "kind-of"....

In the days before E-Bay, there used to be regular auctions of second hand goods around Sydney. I was at one such auction and a surf board was offered for sale. The auctioneer made a big thing about this board having its own bag. He claimed this "proved" it wasn't hot. While he was in full flow, his assistant unzipped the bag so that the punters could see the board properly, and a pair of shoes and socks fell out.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:03 pm

AUbicycles wrote:as a rule they will be priced way too high

Generally there is a tonne of space for haggling. If you've ever tried to trade in you'll see what I mean.
Fast light bike
Cushy dirt bike
Workhorse bike
No brakes bike
Ebike :)

Scott No Mates

Postby Scott No Mates » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:15 pm

Had a look at a few a while back - overpriced and well worn. That hasn't stopped me looking - there may be some rough diamonds out there occasionally.
I really should take up cycling!

K2

Postby K2 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:57 pm

CCs are weird in that they'd seem to prefer staff to spend their time rearranging the stores on a regular basis rather than spend any time cleaning items and presenting them in a more sellable state. Then again, that seems to work for them. The local CCs have a musically aware staff member who visits local stores regularly to advise them on pricing for musical equipment. Doubt they do the same on bikes and other gear as they just don't get as much in. Most of their stuff seems way overpriced but as before, it seems to work for them with their turnover being pretty consistent. Things are "worth" whatever someone is willing to pay....people regularly pay actual money for Freedom guitars and BSOs! :shock: It's not the shops' fault if folk can't be bothered doing some basic research...and it leaves better things for those who care. :wink:

Other pawn shops don't seem much different, other than sometimes cleaning stuff. They are generally quieter though, so no reason why they couldn't gauge pricing on larger items using the net. Their main income is loans to the desperate though, so the buying/selling side might be viewed like some service depts in some larger businesses...kinda handy/necessary to support their main focus but not something they care a great deal about.

There are bargains to be had. You just have to be Johnny on the spot....know your stuff and get to it before anyone else does. That requires either extremely good luck or lots of time, or both. IMHO anyone looking for something kinda specifically in a major centre is probably better off spending their time browsing local Gumtree/Facebook/forums/etc from the comfort of their own home/office and limiting their search to a few likely candidates rather than trawling pawn shops in the hope that what they'd like turns up at the same time as them. :)

For example, I have too many toys but don't feel the need to spend much money on things for myself, and although I'm happy to flip things if they're screaming "Buy me", I'm no big risk taker, so I'm not looking at high end/expensive gear [other than to marvel at their beauty]. I do like a bargain though, so I often kill some time whilst waiting for the Mrs by quickly popping into pawn/op shops/garage sales if they're handy [just looking for old cds and books mostly]. I stumbled across my current Trek hardtail MTB for $100 from CCs. It was covered in filth and "looked" rough as guts, and since I don't like cleaning bikes I thought it might do for an occasional burn through the forest. However once cleaned up it turned out to be too nice to get dirty again! For comparison, the Mrs MTB [which I was looking for specifically after scoring mine] is the next model up sporting Deore and was picked up through Gtree for $80 needing nothing doing to it at all from someone who had taken excellent care of it, and I found it quickly without pawing through any detritus whatsoever. Similarly my current road ride is a Felt F80 [105/Tiagra] through Gtree for $170 from someone who maintaned it in excellent nick [it's an update on my older F1 with 600 which was also a Gtree find]. When I'm finally through with it, finding something similar for around $200 through Gtree again shouldn't be much of a problem...there's often good looking, sometimes higher spec rides with a few years on them to be had thereabouts if you keep an eye on things. Of course folk hereabouts tend to favour much nicer bikes so options are no doubt more limited. Still think their are better options for finding deals in that range than hoping to stumble upon something suitable in a pawn shop.

Lastly, no doubt some gear in pawn shops will be moody. You run that risk with used stuff. Gtree/eBay etc are not immune. If things look/sound/feel suss, look elsewhere [unless you're comfortable running the risk of getting a tap on the shoulder some day]. In defence of pawn shops, I was recently eyeing a very nicely priced guitar in CCs. I stepped out to check it out on the net and noticed a few things that didn't seem quite right [there's a lot of cheap Chinese copies out there...everywhere]. Still went back in to have another squizz and when I asked the nice lass if I could plug it in she told me it was a knock off without any prompting from me.

Nikolai

Postby Nikolai » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:37 pm

Years ago I picked up a Saronni (Colnago with Saronni branding) for $120 in Goodna pawnshop.

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:06 pm

I had a call from a friend one day a few years ago.." Hey G, i think your old ( stolen in a housebreak in) bike is out the front of my cafe".
i rolled on down...my business was only a hundred metres up the strip.
Sure enough it was mine, i gave the guy that rode there on it the frame number from memory and gave him the option of giving it to me or the cops. A month later i got it back from federales. They had to investigate whether i had claimed insurance on it which would then of made it the insurance companies bike.
Bloke in question had purchased it 3 or 4 days after the break in from a northern Crime Convertors for cents in the dollar on what it was worth.
Cops said that if someone sells something they need a ton of ID but if you pawn it they can hold anything for the duration of the loan period and sell when in default.
Crooks go in AM and say " i need $$, i'll be back at lunch to pay up and collect my beloved bike..."
It still had same bar tape/seat /tyres/stickers so he hadn't ridden it a great deal in 2 years. He was not able to claim compensation at all for his purchase price of 300 dollars (mint Alloy GT track bike with full durace).

Ivanerrol

Postby Ivanerrol » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:19 am

boyracer wrote:Cops said that if someone sells something they need a ton of ID but if you pawn it they can hold anything for the duration of the loan period

We had some valuable tools stolen from a building site.
The thief took them to the nearest Crime Convert and cashed them in.

Our boys were quick witted and went down to the C.C. to see if they were there.
Not only were the tools etched with the company name and telephone number on them but the thief had used his drivers license to cash the tools in.
The police were called. They identified the thief as a "known to police" individual.
We got the tools back. The thief wasn't charged :roll: (too much off a hassle)
No money was retrieved - already spent on Booze Cigarettes and paying bills.

The C.C. lost their money and were admonished by the police for not actually checking the legality of the owner (simple call to the number on the side of the hammer drill).

We got our tools back, the thief got some free cigs and booze and the C.C. lost their dough. Life's like that. :mrgreen:

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:47 pm

I found a nice Giant beach cruiser at the local CC for $60. Grabbed it and a few weeks later took it for a ride along the beachfront bike path. It was great to ride. Saw a bunch of mates from my cycling club having coffee at a coffee shop and pulled over for a chat. But before I'd even stopped one of the guys jumped up and yelled "That's my bike!"
I actually was not surprised at all that it was stolen (2 years previously).We reported it to the cops who did nothing. I gave the bike back to my friend, and in return he gave me a Rio Olympic tracksuit (he is Australian Triathlon coach).
So it worked out okay.

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:07 pm

Its far easier and safer to deal with people on Gumtree/ebay and pay with PayPal. If you do it that way if people are not legit you just lodge a complaint and get your money back. Maybe you might get a free bike also depending on if the owner/police want it back after 30 days. If a person does not want to deal in PayPal on their Gumtree account then walk away. Australia is not that big and eventually it doesn't matter. It will catch up with you.

Either now or 2 years later if you buy a stolen bike you will run into someone who knows the owner. Even if they don't catch up to you its bad karma and eventually the bicycle gods will catch up with you and you will crash into a tree or guard rail while everybody else is looking over your shoulder.

Crack Converters is the last place I would buy a bike. I had my favourite bike stolen as a teenager, you never really get over it when a piece of everything you did is missing from your life. So be good to people, and you will get good things back in return. Or be a tight arse, buy a hot bike, and get everything you deserve.

The worst part is you realise the new "owner" doesn't give a crap about your pride and joy.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:34 pm

Kronos wrote:Crack Converters is the last place I would buy a bike. I had my favourite bike stolen as a teenager, you never really get over it when a piece of everything you did is missing from your life. So be good to people, and you will get good things back in return. Or be a tight arse, buy a hot bike, and get everything you deserve.

100% get where you are coming from, as i still miss my first new bike that was stolen, that i had bought with my first pay cheque. But having purchased a bike from CC doesn't make me a tight ass and if i ever do get a tap on the shoulder out on the trail from someone thats thinks it may be their stolen bike, i would do everything possible to help them out if they wanted it returned.......'thats good karma' .......and i won't be deserving anything.
Im sure lots on this forum buy bikes from eBay and gumtree etc and there is no way you can guarantee they are not stolen.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:40 pm

Kronos wrote:Its far easier and safer to deal with people on Gumtree/ebay and pay with PayPal. If you do it that way if people are not legit you just lodge a complaint and get your money back. Maybe you might get a free bike also depending on if the owner/police want it back after 30 days. If a person does not want to deal in PayPal on their Gumtree account then walk away. Australia is not that big and eventually it doesn't matter. It will catch up with you

Sorry bud, cash or you don’t get the goods from me in a gumtree sale. It’s too easy for the buyer to say they didn’t get the item and Paypal gives them their money back. Paypal will side with the buyer in most cases.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.