Pawn Store Bikes

Kronos

Re: Pawn Store Bikes

Postby Kronos » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:25 pm

bychosis wrote:
Kronos wrote:Its far easier and safer to deal with people on Gumtree/ebay and pay with PayPal. If you do it that way if people are not legit you just lodge a complaint and get your money back. Maybe you might get a free bike also depending on if the owner/police want it back after 30 days. If a person does not want to deal in PayPal on their Gumtree account then walk away. Australia is not that big and eventually it doesn't matter. It will catch up with you

Sorry bud, cash or you don’t get the goods from me in a gumtree sale. It’s too easy for the buyer to say they didn’t get the item and Paypal gives them their money back. Paypal will side with the buyer in most cases.

Isn't it wonderful to know someone else I'll never buy a bike from :lol: No PayPal no sale. Sorry bud, you could be the nicest guy in the world but I don't know you from a crack addict so until you prove otherwise you might as well be a crack addict. Come back when you want to prove otherwise. Zero trust is now given that which is not earned.

Thieve me once, shame on you, thieve me twice, you know the drill.

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:01 pm

NASHIE wrote:
Kronos wrote:Crack Converters is the last place I would buy a bike. I had my favourite bike stolen as a teenager, you never really get over it when a piece of everything you did is missing from your life. So be good to people, and you will get good things back in return. Or be a tight arse, buy a hot bike, and get everything you deserve.

100% get where you are coming from, as i still miss my first new bike that was stolen, that i had bought with my first pay cheque. But having purchased a bike from CC doesn't make me a tight ass and if i ever do get a tap on the shoulder out on the trail from someone thats thinks it may be their stolen bike, i would do everything possible to help them out if they wanted it returned.......'thats good karma' .......and i won't be deserving anything.
Im sure lots on this forum buy bikes from eBay and gumtree etc and there is no way you can guarantee they are not stolen.

I appreciate your honesty.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:08 am

Kronos wrote:
bychosis wrote:
Kronos wrote:Its far easier and safer to deal with people on Gumtree/ebay and pay with PayPal. If you do it that way if people are not legit you just lodge a complaint and get your money back. Maybe you might get a free bike also depending on if the owner/police want it back after 30 days. If a person does not want to deal in PayPal on their Gumtree account then walk away. Australia is not that big and eventually it doesn't matter. It will catch up with you

Sorry bud, cash or you don’t get the goods from me in a gumtree sale. It’s too easy for the buyer to say they didn’t get the item and Paypal gives them their money back. Paypal will side with the buyer in most cases.

Isn't it wonderful to know someone else I'll never buy a bike from :lol: No PayPal no sale. Sorry bud, you could be the nicest guy in the world but I don't know you from a crack addict so until you prove otherwise you might as well be a crack addict. Come back when you want to prove otherwise. Zero trust is now given that which is not earned.

Thieve me once, shame on you, thieve me twice, you know the drill.

Cuts both ways mate. I've been stung by paypal before. You could be the most honest bloke in the world, but... Etc. Gumtree is for cash sales only for me. Actually I might consider a bank transfer, but that complicates things as I'll need to wait til the funds clear before you get your stuff.

I'm sorry you've been caught, but I'd be surprised if there are many sellers who will accept PayPal for a gumtree sale. Gumtree advertise it is for cash in person - or at least the used to. I guess now they want to make money out of it they'll be promoting paypal as the 'best' option, but it isn't a great system.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Zippy7

Postby Zippy7 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:56 pm

bychosis wrote:Cuts both ways mate. I've been stung by paypal before. You could be the most honest bloke in the world, but... Etc. Gumtree is for cash sales only for me. Actually I might consider a bank transfer, but that complicates things as I'll need to wait til the funds clear before you get your stuff.

I'm sorry you've been caught, but I'd be surprised if there are many sellers who will accept PayPal for a gumtree sale. Gumtree advertise it is for cash in person - or at least the used to. I guess now they want to make money out of it they'll be promoting paypal as the 'best' option, but it isn't a great system.

You can view this from a sellers perspective as well.
I agree with Bychosis. Just because you dont accept Paypal doesnt mean you are dodgy. I'm happy not to deal with people who insist on paypal. There are plenty of others who are happy to deal honestly. Done heaps cash only or bank transfer into my bank account.

Paypal will side with the buyer even if the item is signed for by registered post and the seller gets shafted. Paypal protects the buyer and doesnt offer any protection to the seller and charges $$ too.

Many many people I know also have bad stories about selling on ebay and accepting paypal. To some of them, ebay + paypal is not worth it for selling. Even when the item is sent back, it's damaged, despite photos of the item before posting and receiving back damaged, the seller still lost their money.

YMMV
Successful trades : Rheicel, Je, wgc138, 2ndeffort, celeste boy, rodneycc

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:42 am

Sorry Kronos, I'm with Zippy7 and Bychosis. You want this bike I'm selling? I get folding currency in my hand. No PayPal, no bank transfer, no cheques.
The only PayPal I use is eBay for small parts-based sales.
No PayPal for complete bikes, as you're going to pick it up anyway, right ?
And you're honest and buying in good faith, right?
mmm, BioPace

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:36 pm

Paypal for Gumtree purchases? What alternate dimension have I stepped into?!?
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Discodan

Postby Discodan » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:18 pm

Mububban wrote:Paypal for Gumtree purchases? What alternate dimension have I stepped into?!?

the "ebay owns paypal and gumtree" dimension, sometimes cross-selling just doesn't make sense

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:57 pm

I'm with bychosis as well. Too many gumtree scams done via Paypal chargeback. It was so bad at one stage there it made the mainstream press. I've had people try it on, and so have most of my bike-riding friends. Cash in my account or no deal when it comes to whole bikes.