Bike Fitting in Sydney - recommendation

NTC

Bike Fitting in Sydney - recommendation

Postby NTC » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:42 pm

Can anyone recommend a good bike fitting place in Sydney? Bought a new bike 2 weeks ago from LBS the simple set up was done but not sure if a proper fitting asessment is a good idea?

I have read that there is a guy in Randwick but costs $300+, dont want to spend that much.

Any advice would be appreciated.

cheers

lukas

Postby lukas » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:00 pm

In my opinion this should be done at the time of purchasing, if it was bought from a decent LBS.

What do you mean by simple setup?
Cervelo R3
Canyon Ultimate AL

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:06 pm

There's no one single rule for a successful fit. It's a bit of an art at times. But for someone brand new and on a budget, it might be worthwhile checking Competitive Cyclist's web site for their fit calculator. Ride a bit and get a feel of riding a road bike. Then find someone good to further adjust. Otherwise the LBS that sold you the bike should have given you some form of fit.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

NTC

Postby NTC » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:17 pm

lukas wrote:In my opinion this should be done at the time of purchasing, if it was bought from a decent LBS.

What do you mean by simple setup?
Well he measured the distance between my legs and the floor and recommended a frame size, then I sat on the bike and he adjusted the seat height whilst I was clipped in. He adjsted the cleat position on the shoes aswell, also halndle bar height.

He did say that after about 2 weeks of riding (commuting and longer weekend rides) to come back for the first service and adjustments to the bike following my intial thoughts..

Is this enough? (I suppose at this point its an overload of information and learning everyday about cycling) which has me thinking maybe there is something Im missing.

cheers

JV911

Postby JV911 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:21 pm

Are you getting a sore back, neck or arms when you're riding?
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:23 pm

A really good fit needs an informed fitter as well as an informed rider. If you don't know your objectives, then it would be hard for the fitter to optimize your position. Then it would just be a general position based on assumptions. And then, a comfortable posture today may not be the best in another 6 months time when you are more adapt at the new cycling posture.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

NTC

Postby NTC » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:25 pm

JV911 wrote:Are you getting a sore back, neck or arms when you're riding?
No not really, at this point not sure what is normal sore (i.e exercise) or sore from bad fit??

Apart from uncomfortable bum (which I put down to being new, and yes I wear chamoix knicks) the only thing is I get sore hands ocassionally

NTC

Postby NTC » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:51 pm

sogood wrote:A really good fit needs an informed fitter as well as an informed rider. If you don't know your objectives, then it would be hard for the fitter to optimize your position. Then it would just be a general position based on assumptions. And then, a comfortable posture today may not be the best in another 6 months time when you are more adapt at the new cycling posture.
Thanks for the advice, maybe I stop worrying and just keep riding and just monitor how I feel, The LBS where I got the bike said that he will adjust and service the bike for the first year for free. So I will take your advice and just keep on keeping on.

Occassionally taking it back to the LBS for adjustments as I become more educated to riding.

thanks for the advice.

JV911

Postby JV911 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:56 pm

NTC wrote:Apart from uncomfortable bum (which I put down to being new, and yes I wear chamoix knicks) the only thing is I get sore hands ocassionally
sounds ok - if you're getting numb hands or a crook back/neck while riding i'd be more concerned.

sore leg muscles the next day are a good thing...no pain no gain :D
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

Sveky

Postby Sveky » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:05 pm

[Plug for mate]
http://www.thebodymechanic.com.au/index.html
[/Plug for mate]

Very good with tons of experience, highly recommended

lukas

Postby lukas » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:11 pm

Sounds like your LBS is taking care of you. From the first post I thought they just put the bike between your legs and said 'off you go'.

sogood wrote:a comfortable posture today may not be the best in another 6 months time when you are more adapt at the new cycling posture.
Definitely agree with this, from personal experience.
Cervelo R3
Canyon Ultimate AL

DanielS

Postby DanielS » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:03 pm

NTC wrote:The LBS where I got the bike said that he will adjust and service the bike for the first year for free.
Sounds like a good LBS! If you're new to road cycling you'll probably be sore in all sorts of places to start with, so it makes sense to get readjusted as time goes on.