turbo trainers on a 1x drivetrain

eeksll

turbo trainers on a 1x drivetrain

Postby eeksll » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:37 pm

Hello, I am kinda eyeing up a turbo trainer, however, the bike I want to use it with has a 1x 39 tooth chainring on it.

Does this affect my buying decision? Not looking at zwift or anything like that.

And a an additional question, how easy is it to consistently setup the bike to the same resistance ie does it make a big difference how tight I put the roller against the wheel?

hamishm

Re: turbo trainers on a 1x drivetrain

Postby hamishm » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:26 pm

The 39t chainring might not give you enough tension on the trainer, depending on what cassette you have and what trainer you have in mind. Tell us more? I mostly just use the 50t when riding my trainer, even up the steepest hills (on the smart trainer). The resistance isn't as much as a real hill.

The smart trainers depend on you having roughly the correct pressure of the wheel on the roller to give accurate power figures. If you're not using a smart trainer I don't think it matters, as long as the tyre isn't slipping.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:34 pm

You're overthinking things mate. Tighten the roller against the tyre so it doesnt slip and away you go.

Discodan

Postby Discodan » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:56 pm

I'll second Derny on this one assuming you're not getting a direct drive trainer where you remove the back wheel and the trainer has its own cassette. Also a lot of trainers (ie Tacx) don't even let you adjust the tension on the wheel, it's just engaged or not. I keep about 100 psi in there and it's fine

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:02 pm

Trainer doesn't know or care what transmission is on the bike.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:35 pm

Derny Driver wrote:You're overthinking things mate. Tighten the roller against the tyre so it doesnt slip and away you go.

thanks, it was just a side question. For me any sort of turbo training will be good.

hamishm wrote:The 39t chainring might not give you enough tension on the trainer, depending on what cassette you have and what trainer you have in mind.

yeah thats what I was thinking, but wasn't sure. I have a cheap trainer at the moment, havent used it at all because it has zero resistance, I can pedal in 50x11 at 90rpm ...

hamishm wrote:Tell us more?

I have an old road bike I use as a dry weather commuter. This is the bike I'd like to use on the trainer. Its front left shifter is broken so cant change front rings. I have put the 39 tooth on the outer side (I am not strong enough to use a 1x with anything bigger up front).

As to which trainer, havent got into that yet. While zwift look fantastic, I just don't think I am the sort of person who needs that sort of stuff for motivation (also not willing to pay the money :P )

I am pretty much looking to do some FTP training maybe once or twice a week. The equivalent threshold run training over winter did wonders for me. Over winter I was training for some running races and it would have been pretty useful to have something like a turbo trainer to warm up a bit on.

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:58 pm

Discodan wrote:Also a lot of trainers (ie Tacx) don't even let you adjust the tension on the wheel, it's just engaged or not. I keep about 100 psi in there and it's fine

It's adjustable on my Tacx Vortex. I use their app to check the tightness and tyre pressure occasionally.

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:45 am

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:34 pm

You're overthinking things mate. Tighten the roller against the tyre so it doesnt slip and away you go.

have a fairly basic 10 year or so old tacx and that has some sort of lever to get the tyre contact correct - if that is your problem then I'd go google some instructions or make sure the turbo is set up for your wheelsize, mine came with some bits to swop in and out for 26" wheels and for convenience I use my 1x gym/shopper bike something like a 38 on the front

or if this isn't the problem think Duck answered it to the point