Garmin Varia Radar

ComradeSpear

Garmin Varia Radar

Postby ComradeSpear » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:53 pm

Curious to know if the Garmin Varia radar will work if inserted into a jersey's back pocket instead of installing on a seat post... and obviously facing the right way in the pocket.

Anyone know?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Garmin Varia Radar

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:40 pm

ComradeSpear wrote:Curious to know if the Garmin Varia radar will work if inserted into a jersey's back pocket instead of installing on a seat post... and obviously facing the right way in the pocket.

Anyone know?

I will make a guess as I have used it. I can't judge whether the radar will be degraded from the jersey but the movement is likely to have an effect so it tracks and then looses an approaching 'object'.

On the seatpost or with a more stable mount, I feel it will operate better (it isn't cheap either).

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:05 pm

I cant' remember where exactly, but I had the bike somewhere weird, maybe it was in the back of the car (wagon) and I hadn't turned it off and it was pinging traffic like nobodies business. (of course could be something else, I just remember it was working in some none design parameter scenario)

however, then you woudn't be getting use of the flashing ability, which I think...well I hope... works well (different flashing as cars get closer).
Look 675 Pro Team, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Scott Spark 710, Yeti ARC

Discodan

Postby Discodan » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:35 am

Given the Varia is very effecting at 'seeing' through other riders and still picking up cars I'd imagine the jersey would cause it no issues at all. The fact that it's aim would be moving around with your body could be a different issue