Garmin Varia Radar

ComradeSpear

Garmin Varia Radar

Postby ComradeSpear » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:53 pm

Curious to know if the Garmin Varia radar will work if inserted into a jersey's back pocket instead of installing on a seat post... and obviously facing the right way in the pocket.

Anyone know?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Garmin Varia Radar

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:40 pm

ComradeSpear wrote:Curious to know if the Garmin Varia radar will work if inserted into a jersey's back pocket instead of installing on a seat post... and obviously facing the right way in the pocket.

Anyone know?
I will make a guess as I have used it. I can't judge whether the radar will be degraded from the jersey but the movement is likely to have an effect so it tracks and then looses an approaching 'object'.

On the seatpost or with a more stable mount, I feel it will operate better (it isn't cheap either).
Cycling is in my BNA

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:05 pm

I cant' remember where exactly, but I had the bike somewhere weird, maybe it was in the back of the car (wagon) and I hadn't turned it off and it was pinging traffic like nobodies business. (of course could be something else, I just remember it was working in some none design parameter scenario)

however, then you woudn't be getting use of the flashing ability, which I think...well I hope... works well (different flashing as cars get closer).
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

Discodan

Postby Discodan » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:35 am

Given the Varia is very effecting at 'seeing' through other riders and still picking up cars I'd imagine the jersey would cause it no issues at all. The fact that it's aim would be moving around with your body could be a different issue

ComradeSpear

Postby ComradeSpear » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:13 am

I bought the Varia Radar unit and tested placing it in my rear jersey pocket. It works like a charm and the light is strong enough that it pours through jersey material (at least for my jersey).

It also successfully paired and worked with Garmin Edge 25 & 520 as well as the Garmin Fenix 5 but not the Xplova 5 Evo.

I tried testing the radar detection by placing the unit vertically but didn't sit well in the jersey pocket. Unfortunately, the supplied mount can't be rotated to support a vertical configuration. It'd be nice if it could as it's a bit wide and chunky when fitted with my skinny seat post. I wonder if there's a mount or a hack that would allow me to test the vertical configuration, any ideas?

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:31 pm

mine came supplies with 2 mounts (but haven't looked at the other so assume it's the same setup, just attaches to different sized poles... but I just now had it on my out front mount, so it'll fit the stem/bar mounts, I'm sure you could dodgy something up out of that.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

BugsBunny

Postby BugsBunny » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:51 pm

How do you guys feel about its safety value in practice? And how to you really use it to help you ride more safely? I'm a bit naive, as I was thinking it would be setting off the alarm too frequently?

(PS. I'm not dissing it, but genuinely interested).

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:52 pm

personally I find it really usefull. Sure it can miss cars, usually either if someone is tailgating or 2 cars close on double lanes, but more usually it give false positives (lik very occasionally).
The biggest use more me is a couple of sections of road (old highways), that are long DH stretches where you're cruising at40km/h and you can't hear cars coming behind, it prepares you for a passing car instead of being surprised.
Another style is roads with a wide verge, but it rough/littered so its far better to ride in the smooth worn part of the road, but I wouldn't normally due to being smashed by a truck or something, also quite country roads where I'm riding anywhere on the road, gives you heaps of warning, well before you can hear the cars, to figure out where you want to be on the road.

it doesn't replace your senses, just adds to them. That and the variable flashing as car approaching, I think thats handy too.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:19 pm

Late to the party but I've just ordered one.
If it stops me being surprised by passing cars I'll be happy.
I have trouble hearing them.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:06 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:19 pm
The Varia is awesome for that. I find it particularly useful when you're out on country roads not expecting a car and might not hear it over the wind.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:32 pm

hamishm wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:06 pm

The Varia is awesome for that. I find it particularly useful when you're out on country roads not expecting a car and might not hear it over the wind.
Yeah I am always on country roads out of town.
Will be nice to get some warning.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:10 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Get some of these, or DIY some - best thing ever:

So simple but so effective.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:00 pm

Mububban wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:10 pm
warthog1 wrote:
Get some of these, or DIY some - best thing ever:

So simple but so effective.
Never seen em.
Cheers.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:24 am

Just let your dreads flow free... no noise, just grooves.
Cycling is in my BNA

Daus

Postby Daus » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:42 pm

What noise? Deaf in right ear not much better in left the missus signals me when she hears anything coming up from behind, she always rides in front, even stopped to apologize once to a group that were attempting to pass they were understanding in the end.

chucknitro

Postby chucknitro » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:50 pm

How to hear the Garmin beeps in your headphones

I use bone conduction headphones so you can still hear everything else normally.

The latest Garmin Varia (RTL515) can be connected to your headunit by ANT+ and your phone via bluetooth at the same time. On your phone run the Varia+ app which provides the beeps on detection of a vehicle and when it's "all clear". Link your headphones and you can get unmissable beeps.

You do need to alter the "Battery Optimization" to ensure android does not stop either bluetooth or the Varia app.
2018 Canyon Endurance SLX DB 9.0 DI

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:24 am

A mirror is cheaper :wink:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:15 am

warthog1 wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:32 pm
hamishm wrote:

+1

When I tested one as part of the 520+ review, for those quiet roads, especially when you get absorbed in your own thoughts, it was great.

In regular traffic, the usefulness was reduced either somewhat or heaps, as it goes off all the time.

It'd be great if it had the capability of muting the function easily on the head unit, so you can easily turn it on/off depending on where you are riding.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:29 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:15 am

+1

When I tested one as part of the 520+ review, for those quiet roads, especially when you get absorbed in your own thoughts, it was great.

In regular traffic, the usefulness was reduced either somewhat or heaps, as it goes off all the time.

It'd be great if it had the capability of muting the function easily on the head unit, so you can easily turn it on/off depending on where you are riding.
Will use it with my edge 1000 head unit.
I think I will be relying on the visual warning more given the audio doesn't appear to loud at all on it.
Will see how it goes. I am not known for my ability or prowess with electronic gizmos so I don't expect to be able to mute or unmute quickly even if it is possible with the head unit. :oops:
Will see how useful it is, as I won't be spending my time staring at the Garmin either.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:05 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:15 am
warthog1 wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:32 pm
hamishm wrote:

+1

It does, at least on my Edge 530. I now have a visual overlay alert only, no audio. Yes, you have to navigate into the radar sensor to change it, but not really a huge deal.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Sat May 01, 2021 5:47 pm

Arbuckle23 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:24 am
But will not catch your attention, you have to be monitoring it. It doesn’t compare to the Varia.

I find the beeps from my Edge 830 loud enough.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat May 01, 2021 6:06 pm

hamishm wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 5:47 pm
Arbuckle23 wrote:
But will not catch your attention, you have to be monitoring it. It doesn’t compare to the Varia.

Yeah I still have an Italian road bike mirror somewhere.
It was good but you need to be looking in it.
Bit if a pita to set up though.
Hopefully my Edge 1000 is loud enough too then.

elantra

Postby elantra » Sun May 02, 2021 12:20 pm

hamishm wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 5:47 pm
Arbuckle23 wrote:

Yeah I love my mirror BUT the mirror tends to be sometimes a bit useless in certain situations.
Like going down some of the steep hills on narrow sh##y roads where there are so many vibrations and potholes that you struggle to be able to look at the mirror and see. And the numpty drivers expect you to occupy a slender margin of this “road” at 55km/hr and they expect to be able to pass you even if the posted speed limit is only 60km/hr. :roll:
Also mirrors can be a bit useless at night when some vehicle approaches either with massively excessive illumination power or no lights on at all :roll:
Recently I have done a few rides with a bloke who uses one of these Garmin Varia devices and it was quite an eye-opener.
He was almost always aware of cars approaching from behind earlier than me with my mirror.
I am very impressed, and the only thing holding me back from getting one is the cost and the fact that my GPS device that I am used to is not a Garmin (it’s a Bryton)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun May 02, 2021 12:48 pm

elantra wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 12:20 pm
the only thing holding me back from getting one is the cost and the fact that my GPS device that I am used to is not a Garmin (it’s a Bryton)
The Bryton rider 750 apparently supports the varia radar.
Don't think the other Brytons do, but I'm no expert.
https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/blog/br ... ter-review

elantra

Postby elantra » Sun May 02, 2021 8:54 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 12:48 pm
elantra wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 12:20 pm
the only thing holding me back from getting one is the cost and the fact that my GPS device that I am used to is not a Garmin (it’s a Bryton)
The Bryton rider 750 apparently supports the varia radar.
Don't think the other Brytons do, but I'm no expert.
https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/blog/br ... ter-review
Thanks, prompted by this thread I have done some digging for more info and, hey presto, it looks like the new Garmin Varia RVR315 only needs a compatible Smartphone to do its job, via the specific Garmin app.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-AU/AU/p/6690 ... 0-02253-00