Which saddles are the same shape as a Brooks Pro or Cambium?

ausrandoman

Which saddles are the same shape as a Brooks Pro or Cambium?

Postby ausrandoman » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:59 pm

I have a Brooks Cambium. The fine texture on the surface grips my shorts so the slight movement is between shorts and skin, not shorts and saddle. It is super comfortable (for me) up to about 100 km but after much more, the cumulative damage from the tiny amount of chaffing gets too sore.

I can't use a leather saddle, due to slight scoliosis.

I'd really like a smooth, shiny, slippery Cambium but Brooks don't have one.

Next option - a plastic (maybe leather covered and padded) saddle the same shape as a Cambium or a Brooks Pro.

Does anyone know of such a saddle?

warthog1

Re: Which saddles are the same shape as a Brooks Pro or Cambium?

Postby warthog1 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:30 pm

Do you use chamois creme on longer rides?
Dogs are the best people :wink:

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:39 pm

ausrandoman wrote:I'd really like a smooth, shiny, slippery Cambium but Brooks don't have one.
Are you sure about that?

Cambium All Weather
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:40 pm

Brooks have released (or are in the process of releasing) a saddle as you describe ... they were having problems as you describe (and a few others on the side) with the cambrium

http://www.brooksengland.com/cambium-al ... b7a0974572
Go!Run!GAH!

ausrandoman

Postby ausrandoman » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:49 am

A close look at large photos of the Cambium All Weather reveals that the surface still has a woven texture, which is what I want to avoid.

I still hope to get a very smooth saddle in a similar shape.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:56 pm

I went to a Charge Spoon after breaking my Cambium.

I find it more comfortable over a long ride than the C17 I had.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:32 am

What does scoliosis have to do with riding a leather saddle?

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:12 am

"Next option - a plastic (maybe leather covered and padded) saddle the same shape as a Cambium or a Brooks Pro."

Have you considered getting your Cambium recovered in leather? It's not cheap but you will retain the same shape and it will be covered in harder wearing kangaroo hide. I've had two saddles recovered (Flite and SLR XP) and I'm very happy with his work.

Mick Peel aka Busyman is your go to man. http://busymanbicycles.blogspot.com.au/

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:51 pm

Uncle Just wrote:It's not cheap but you will retain the same shape and it will be covered in harder wearing kangaroo hide. I've had two saddles recovered (Flite and SLR XP) and I'm very happy with his work.
How does "not cheap" compare to the price of a new Brooks saddle, broadly speaking?

I ask as I have two vintage Brooks on which the leather has gone (at the nose, as usual) and I'd love to give them a new lease of life
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:10 pm

His pricing starts from $250 inc gst but goes higher depending on the work involved. So it will most likely be cheaper for you to buy another Brooks as a quick check of their online price is $120-300 plus. The link to his blog I gave above shows some heavily decorated stuff which gets exxy because of the time to make it. Mine were straight recovers with no decoration or embossing. Best to have a chat with him if you are interested.

ausrandoman

Postby ausrandoman » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:18 pm

Uncle Just wrote:...

Have you considered getting your Cambium recovered in leather? It's not cheap but you will retain the same shape and it will be covered in harder wearing kangaroo hide. I've had two saddles recovered (Flite and SLR XP) and I'm very happy with his work.

Mick Peel aka Busyman is your go to man. http://busymanbicycles.blogspot.com.au/
This is quite a coincidence. In addition to asking here, I searched for other solutions, found Busyman, discussed it with him and mailed my saddle on Thursday afternoon. I was much encouraged by your endorsement.

ausrandoman

Postby ausrandoman » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:23 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:What does scoliosis have to do with riding a leather saddle?
I put more weight on one seat bone than the other. A leather saddle will deform more on the side with more weight, so my pelvis tilts to that side, which puts more weight on that side ...

A Brooks Pro gave me severe back pain that didn't start until months after I got it, so it was hard to spot the connection. If it wasn't for plastic saddles, I wouldn't be a cyclist.

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:08 pm

Good to hear and I hope the suggested solution works out for you. He has had many clients looking for something bespoke and unique as can be seen by the pics in his blog. It's time consuming work, all by his hand hence the high price and the work he did for me is of high standard.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:30 am

The Brookes Cambium C17 and C13 have a slightly different shape so would be worthwhile knowing which one you have for the comparison.

The classic plastci saddle is the Cinelli Unicanitor. I have never tried it but wonder if you get slippage through less grip.

A quick check shows a number of plastic (nylon) saddles such as the CONTEC Neo Classic Sport Saddle which appears similar to the Brookes Cambium C17.
Cycling is in my BNA

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:51 am

Leather isn't durable enough.

You need to go Titanium from XACD.

Which is really just a more refined version of the 'Real Man' saddle from ShelBro Co.

As is often the case, I have no helpful input...

Cheers,

Cameron

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:02 pm

Selle Anatomica do a carbon saddle, the C Series Carbon.
For a decade Selle Anatomica has worked to bring the the most comfortable saddles possible to cyclists around the world. January 2014 marked the beginning of a project that would transform the company forever. Headquartered in San Diego since 2012, Selle Anatomica was uniquely positioned to take advantage of a local industry that grew up almost entirely in this area. Serving aerospace, sporting goods, and higher education for more than 30 years, the project brought together a diverse group of carbon composites experts who helped to develop the industry itself and the technology that it uses today. The result of that project is the most advanced 100 percent carbon fiber saddle ever produced. We give you C Series.
Their leather saddles are reportedly very good, don't know about the carbon one but.