Magpie problem solved

Nate

Magpie problem solved

Postby Nate » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:28 pm

Note: sample size is 1, but it looks to have worked.

Usual story - really, super aggressive bird.

He's a little butcher bird, coming up babbage road city side of Roseville bridge.
He's been there every year in a row i've ridden (4 years running), and VERY aggressive. Normally i can do the wavey arm thing above my head & they wont get within 2m - this guy still kept going for it.

So then i thought... How can i get him to think he'll be in danger if he keeps it up?
If i "attacked" him - then it'll probably be fight/flight & he'll double down & go crazy even worse.

So how can i get him to feel vulnerable & that attacking me isnt a good idea.

So one morning he starts up & does a couple.
I get off the bike & then follow him into a tree (which was about 5-6m high) - he started going NUTS & there was his partner in there too i think.
I walked up to him, stood below him & just stared at him.
I then gave the branch a little shake - to make him move to a different branch. I then followed him over there & we stared off again.
Did a bit of a shake & just kept eye contact.
I then went on my journey.

Cycled through there for 4 weeks & not a single sign of him!!!
Could be a co-incidence too, but either way - no swooping!

How about a few others try it?
face off, stare them down & let them think they're at risk & vulnerable & we could get to them... maybe they'll think twice!

And yes, if it didnt work, i was going to pack a little bag of worms from my worm farm the next week & try that too.

human909

Re: Magpie problem solved

Postby human909 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:47 pm

I'm no avian expert but some birds will abandon their nest and leave their young to die when they are disturbed or threatened when nesting. Something to think about...

(Like I say. Some birds. The ones I certainly know about are peregrine falcons. But they usually nest well away from most disturbances.)

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:02 pm

human909 wrote:I'm no avian expert but some birds will abandon their nest and leave their young to die when they are disturbed or threatened when nesting. Something to think about...

(Like I say. Some birds. The ones I certainly know about are peregrine falcons. But they usually nest well away from most disturbances.)

Given that kids have lost eyes to these creatures, I am not too broken up by the prospect of there not being a next generation learning that behaviour from their parents.

I've done it for some other swooping species and I didn't get swooped again.

Nate

Postby Nate » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:41 pm

human909 wrote:I'm no avian expert but some birds will abandon their nest and leave their young to die when they are disturbed or threatened when nesting. Something to think about...

yep - agree
wasnt a nesting site - just a tree they went into after a few swoops up the road

human909

Postby human909 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:19 pm

Nate wrote:

yep - agree
wasnt a nesting site - just a tree they went into after a few swoops up the road

Win! :mrgreen:

And I wasn't making any judgements either way. I don't share other's strong dislike for swooping birds but I'm not about to make ethical judgements against the way people on this forum choose to deal with it.

(In my other sports respect for peregrine falcons is certainly emphasised. I got a little too close to a nest a couple of weeks ago. :oops: )