Melbourne teenager 'left to die' on Melbourne street by BMW driver

human909

Re: Melbourne teenager 'left to die' on Melbourne street by BMW driver

Postby human909 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:26 pm

Derny Driver wrote:If hit and run saw mandatory gaol time then we might see less people doing this, and less drain on Police resources trying to track down the drivers. Why is there no outcry in the media for mandatory sentencing?

Probably a topic for another thread or another forum entirely, but mandatory sentencing isn't particularly effective and not to mention the costs of incarceration.

I struggle to see how somebody who hits and runs can justify keeping their licence, no matter how minor the incident. The police should treat them all seriously.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:43 pm

human909 wrote:
Derny Driver wrote:If hit and run saw mandatory gaol time then we might see less people doing this, and less drain on Police resources trying to track down the drivers. Why is there no outcry in the media for mandatory sentencing?

Probably a topic for another thread or another forum entirely, but mandatory sentencing isn't particularly effective and not to mention the costs of incarceration.

I struggle to see how somebody who hits and runs can justify keeping their licence, no matter how minor the incident. The police should treat them all seriously.

Agree, but many don't even hold a drivers licence, which i guess may be part of the reason they run.

Can just imagine the !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! story this lady is concocting with her lawyer........if she's still in the country.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:53 pm

P!N20 wrote:
ausrandoman wrote:I hope they are looking for the driver at airports.

Yep.

The Guardian wrote:Authorities are closely monitoring airports, seaports and train stations

Only in Victoria, so far as the article indicated.

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:27 am

Derny Driver wrote:If hit and run saw mandatory gaol time then we might see less people doing this, and less drain on Police resources trying to track down the drivers. Why is there no outcry in the media for mandatory sentencing? This case has got a fair bit of attention due to the fact it was a child involved, but I swear this must be the 20th hit and run this year. Its a joke.

I think that would be a pretty fair call as the drive away IS more or less the admission of guilt. The more people who do this, the more of an option it seems to be....for some people. May even be a national system of the full cost recovery (personally not via insurance) of all of family expenses, health care or replacement damaged goods.
I think this is still on topic, this was on last week Tasmania is the roadkill capital of the world
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/pro ... ia/9099108
Seems the more dead animals seen on the roadside the less people see them as being important so dont slow or then stop after they hit an animal to check if it can be helped in anyway.
Also I hit a rather nasty pothole and my airbag light has come on, back left door but seems a common fault for the model, anyone know if you could trigger the system that after a certain level of front end bang (for a word) that it could default the chip back to the pre delivery crawl mode? The car would be pretty much useless until the system was rebooted by an interdependent organisation say the Police or the NRMA at the site. May also help in tracking vehicles?

Mike Ayling

Postby Mike Ayling » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:40 am

brumby33 wrote:
Although the question remains, what was this 13 yr old doing out that late on her bicycle....did she have lights....possibly not....kids don't bother with lights in most situations that I've seen.

It would have been close to sunset at the time so she would not have been too visible.

The media states that she was not wearing a helmet either, which may have helped prevent some of her injuries.

Hope the driver is soon brought to account.

Mike

BJL

Postby BJL » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:07 am

Mike Ayling wrote:
brumby33 wrote:
Although the question remains, what was this 13 yr old doing out that late on her bicycle....did she have lights....possibly not....kids don't bother with lights in most situations that I've seen.

The media states that she was not wearing a helmet either, which may have helped prevent some of her injuries.

Maybe but as far as I'm aware, helmets have never caused an accident.

Motor vehicle occupants die everyday in collisions. No one says anything about helmets.
Two young boys die when a motorist drives their car into a school. No one says anything about helmets.
People get king hit in the street, in pubs and clubs, at Maccas. No one says anything about helmets.
Guy gets killed when thrown out of a ute tray. No one says anything about helmets.
Car gets hit by a train killing the occupants. No one says anything about helmets.
Molly Meldrum falls off a ladder. No one says anything about helmets.

Cyclist gets killed by nuclear explosion. "HE WASN'T WEARING A HELMET"

Did she have a bell on her bike?

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:13 am

BJL wrote:
Mike Ayling wrote:
brumby33 wrote:

Maybe but as far as I'm aware, helmets have never caused an accident.

Motor vehicle occupants die everyday in collisions. No one says anything about helmets.
Two young boys die when a motorist drives their car into a school. No one says anything about helmets.
People get king hit in the street, in pubs and clubs, at Maccas. No one says anything about helmets.
Guy gets killed when thrown out of a ute tray. No one says anything about helmets.
Car gets hit by a train killing the occupants. No one says anything about helmets.
Molly Meldrum falls off a ladder. No one says anything about helmets.

Cyclist gets killed by nuclear explosion. "HE WASN'T WEARING A HELMET"

Did she have a bell on her bike?

... and "Wouldn't have happened if they paid rego and had license plates"
Go!Run!GAH!

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:38 am

had just heard this on the news and was driving my teen daughter to ice hockey training around 8.15pm and starting to darken but good visibility still (for those that live in other time zones and asking if it is light at 8pm in Melbourne earlier in the post) - saw a girl of similar age on a bike on the pavement waiting to cross the busy and over fast Warrigal rd - guessing by the bag hanging from her handlebars had been to get a DVD....seems to me that something is wrong when behaviour like this is seen as questionable

meanwhile screw helmets lets look at the real villain
(I know raised this issue before but hows does a vehicle with poor pedestrian safety get a 5* safety rating...?)

source https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/bmw/1-series/10913

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:05 am

It looks as though the police know who the culprit is but have yet to find her....I hope it's soon before she flees the country if she hasn't already done so...

It's the second high profile hit-and-run in Melbourne in four days, after another BMW hit a 13-year-old girl on her bike in Coburg on Sunday and left her for dead.
She is still in an induced coma at the Royal Children's Hospital.
Police are hunting for a woman aged in her early 30s, of Asian appearance, with shoulder-length dark hair after they found a dark grey BMW in a laneway in Braybrook on Tuesday.

This story came off the back of another BMW hit & run story of a 30 yr old Motorcyclist that was left with burn injuries after the bike caught on fire and he was trapped under it....they ditched the stolen Beemer and invaded a house where they stole a white Toyota.....Bastards!!

https://au.news.yahoo.com/vic/a/3779406 ... n-drivers/

cheers

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR -2013

gtext

Postby gtext » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:47 am

Woman arrested over Coburg hit-run that left girl, 13, fighting for life

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/woman ... zhs4c.html

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:03 pm

gtext wrote:Woman arrested over Coburg hit-run that left girl, 13, fighting for life

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/woman ... zhs4c.html

Great news gtext.....I hope she gets the full punishment for her deeds...but with the discounting in the law arena with deals done...i'll be surprised if she sees Gaol time!! She certainly deserves to be locked up to give her time to think of her callous act.

brumby33

VWR -2013

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:15 pm

I really hope the police confiscated her passport. We don't need another case like Puneet Puneet.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:22 pm

brumby33 wrote:Great news gtext.....I hope she gets the full punishment for her deeds...but with the discounting in the law arena with deals done...i'll be surprised if she sees Gaol time!!

If the driver doesn't get made an example of, I think there'll be a lot of public backlash.

A 13 year old girl is a much more sympathetic victim than one of us "adult male lycra wearing riders who hog the road" etc etc. I imagine (hope?) even hardened cyclist haters would want to see this driver locked up.
Last edited by Mububban on Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:29 pm

Mububban wrote:
brumby33 wrote:Great news gtext.....I hope she gets the full punishment for her deeds...but with the discounting in the law arena with deals done...i'll be surprised if she sees Gaol time!!

If the driver doesn't get made an example of, I think there'll be a lot pf public backlash.

A 13 year old girl is a much more sympathetic victim than one of us "adult male lycra wearing riders who hog the road" etc etc. I imagine (hope?) even hardened cyclist haters would want to see this driver locked up.

I agree but courts don't often go on public opinions....there's just so much inconsistencies in sentencing procedures.

VWR -2013

fishwop

Postby fishwop » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:18 pm

I knew the cops would get her. There couldn't be that many cars around Melbourne matching the description, with matching damage. It was only a matter of time, which is why she gave herself up. She waited until the jig was up to do it though which won't go down well with the beak.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:21 pm

The cynic could suggest the delay in coming forward was so the drugs could clear her system.....
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:25 pm

Duck! wrote:The cynic could suggest the delay in coming forward was so the drugs could clear her system.....

It worked for Eugene McGee.

human909

Postby human909 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:38 pm

Yet only a few km away when a lady driver kills a male cyclist, she only cops a $1000 fine. :evil: Sure there lady didn't run, but she killed somebody through her recklessness on the road. Surely that at least deserves loss of licence?

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:47 pm

Duck! wrote:The cynic could suggest the delay in coming forward was so the drugs could clear her system.....

If they haven`t used the hair drug testing, it can detected drugs in their system for up to 90 days ago.

Only they have RBT and RDT (Random Drug Testing) but not HDT.

https://www.health-street.net/blog-drug-testing/hair-drug-testing-facts-and-myths/ and it`s not in use with Police testing of motorists on roads In Australia.

I`d like that it to be used in hit and run drivers who don`t come forward for days.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:40 pm

Bunged Knee wrote:I`d like that it to be used in hit and run drivers who don`t come forward for days.

I'd prefer that anyone who does not come forward for a few days is also immediately charged with the same offence as DUI high range. No presumption of innocence, the fact they tried to get away and did not front immediately is a sign of guilt. Just as if you refuse a breath test, you are charged as if high range.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:49 pm

bychosis wrote:
Bunged Knee wrote:I`d like that it to be used in hit and run drivers who don`t come forward for days.

I'd prefer that anyone who does not come forward for a few days is also immediately charged with the same offence as DUI high range. No presumption of innocence, the fact they tried to get away and did not front immediately is a sign of guilt. Just as if you refuse a breath test, you are charged as if high range.

Yes, I`d agree with that, but it won`t happened in Australia.

It would be better that the charge would be automatically included the high range drink driving if not coming forward after the hit and run for a few days. Too bad if they denies it.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:14 pm

http://www.smh.com.au/victoria/woman-ar ... zhs4c.html

”She knew we were going to name her, she knew that we were going to put her face out there, and she knew eventually we were going to come knocking on her door, so she's done the right thing and come forward," Detective Inspector McGregor said.

If you only do the right thing when someone’s got your balls in a vice, that doesn’t say much about your character.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

BJL

Postby BJL » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:49 pm

”She knew we were going to name her, she knew that we were going to put her face out there, and she knew eventually we were going to come knocking on her door, so she's done the right thing and come forward," Detective Inspector McGregor said.

"She's done the right thing and come forward",

lol, if it wasn't so serious :(

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:58 pm

Bunged Knee wrote:
bychosis wrote:

Yes, I`d agree with that, but it won`t happened in Australia.

It would be better that the charge would be automatically included the high range drink driving if not coming forward after the hit and run for a few days. Too bad if they denies it.

Yep. Panicing and driving off, then handing yourself into the police 30 minutes later is one thing. But waiting for days is something quite different, and perhaps the assumption should be the same as "refused to take a drug/alchohol test".

silentC

Postby silentC » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:48 pm

A driver remains on bail after facing court for the first time charged over a hit-and-run crash involving a 13-year-old girl at Coburg earlier this month.

Thi Nguyen, 41, is accused of hitting the girl as she rode a bicycle at the corner of Bell and Sussex streets before driving off.

Police said Ms Nguyen was arrested five days after the crime, after turning herself in at her lawyers office.

She was assisted by a Vietnamese translator during the brief hearing in the Melbourne Magistrates' Court.

The magistrate extended bail previously granted by police after her arrest.

She has yet to plead to charges including dangerous driving causing serious injury and failing to stop after a crash.

Ms Nguyen will face court again in March next year.

The 13-year-old remains in a serious condition at the Royal Children's Hospital, after suffering head injuries and broken bones.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-13/c ... 65453040=1
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me