Melbourne teenager 'left to die' on Melbourne street by BMW driver

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:29 am

A 13-year-old girl is fighting for life in hospital after a hit-and-run in Melbourne's north.

Police say the teenager was hit while she was riding her bike at the corner of Bell and Sussex streets at Coburg just after 8:00pm last night.

The driver of the car, believed to be a dark-coloured BMW, stopped briefly before leaving the scene.

The girl is in a critical condition in hospital in an induced coma with head injuries and broken bones.

brumby33

Re: Melbourne teenager 'left to die' on Melbourne street by BMW driver

Postby brumby33 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:06 am

Bloody Hell....I hope they catch this creep who left this girl to die and fleeing the scene needs to have a minimum mandatory Gaol sentence of 15 years.....even if the girl lives, she'll be permanently damaged from this incident.

Although the question remains, what was this 13 yr old doing out that late on her bicycle....did she have lights....possibly not....kids don't bother with lights in most situations that I've seen.

Why did the driver flee....apart from being a complete A##hole.....affected by drugs or booze...probably.....unlicenced and uninsured....probably.......wanted by the cops for other stuff.....probably!!

It's bad enough that he's hit this girl off her bike and left her critically injured.....but to take off and let her die in the street makes my blood boil :x

I pray that she lives and recovers without too much permanent trauma.....
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

Ivanerrol

Postby Ivanerrol » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:23 am

Up to 20% of cars on the road are :
Unregistered
Driver unlicensed
Driver or passengers with outstanding warrant
Uninsured
Unroadworthy - either by neglect or illegal modification
Stolen or being used without permission
Up the percentage with those under the influence of alcohol or drug affected.

This is why it's imperative to carry your own insurance. The chances of being hit by one of the above offending characteristics are higher than being hit by someone doing the right thing.

Most likely the girl in the story is the victim of one of those. Lets hope she makes it through.

Bell street is a very busy thoroughfare. It's surprising no one had their phone camera out and captured some images.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:58 am

This must bring about a change in attitudes. How can anyone just leave a kid to die in the street?

I'm half expecting there will be people cheering for this.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:12 am

First article I read about this had an attache video about how cyclists need to be more visible..

Nothing to do with drivers and their actions, SMIDSY.. then keep driving

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:25 am

The image of her smashed bike is pretty confronting. I saw reflectors but no lights on her bike, but they could have come off in the impact.

13 is so young. I hope she's able to pull through and make a full recovery :(

I can understand the "fight or flight" response kicking in for the driver whose first reaction is self preservation and to run from trouble. Understanding is not forgiveness though. Leaving someone that YOU hurt to suffer and potentially die is a dog act and the driver should be punished to the full extent possible.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:35 am

I wonder if she was hit crossing the slip lane there. Drivers fly up and down there. I doubt she was riding on Bell St. It isn't really dark at 8pm here now either.

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:33 pm

No words other than wishing the creature that can do this, the very best of dreams for the next few decades.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:56 pm

g-boaf wrote:This must bring about a change in attitudes. How can anyone just leave a kid anyone to die in the street?

Fixed it for you.

I see stuff like this and just wonder

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:12 pm

Mububban wrote:Leaving someone that YOU hurt to suffer and potentially die is a dog act
Ot sorry, but actually it is a human act.
Dogs are far less deceitful than that.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:15 pm

brumby33 wrote:Although the question remains, what was this 13 yr old doing out that late on her bicycle....did she have lights....possibly not....kids don't bother with lights in most situations that I've seen.
Hello victim blaming.

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:14 pm

brumby33 wrote:Although the question remains, what was this 13 yr old doing out that late on her bicycle....did she have lights....possibly not....kids don't bother with lights in most situations that I've seen.
:roll: Yes. Kids should be locked up in house with cotton wool. What is wrong with a child on a bicycle at 8pm? In other countries that is normal. It use to be not uncommon here too.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:01 pm

jules21 wrote:I wonder if she was hit crossing the slip lane there. Drivers fly up and down there. I doubt she was riding on Bell St. It isn't really dark at 8pm here now either.
From the yellow painted curb and the white painted lightpole with the paint at the bottom worn away shown in the first picture in the article the bike and left side mirror of the car are lying on the footpath in front of the BP on Bell St. From the front wheel damage on the bike my best guess is that the car has pulled out of the BP in front of the cyclist on the footpath coming from their left.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:04 pm

Wasn't victim blaming...well it wasn't my intention to anyway.....as for the time factor.....a 13 yr old is still a child.
Yeah go ahead and pick my posts apart....go your hardest...i don't have to explain how i feel about it.

Cheers

Brumby33

VWR Patagonia 2017

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:47 pm

brumby33 wrote:as for the time factor.....a 13 yr old is still a child.
A child and a person. A person who is surely old enough to be able to ride a bicycle, navigate and be awake and alert at 8pm.

It wasn't abnormal for me to do such things at the age of 9 and 10 let alone 13 years old. It is still normal in many other countries. If it is considered a issue in Australia then that is part of the problem not the solution.
brumby33 wrote:i don't have to explain how i feel about it.
No you don't. But your comments reveal a thought process that seems to not see teenagers on bicycles in the evening as an acceptable practice.

Kinda a sad state of affairs.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:02 pm

human909 wrote:
A child and a person. A person who is surely old enough to be able to ride a bicycle, navigate and be awake and alert at 8pm.

It wasn't abnormal for me to do such things at the age of 9 and 10 let alone 13 years old. It is still normal in many other countries. If it is considered a issue in Australia then that is part of the problem not the solution.
No you don't. But your comments reveal a thought process that seems to not see teenagers on bicycles in the evening as an acceptable practice.

So what about you and other countries. It was just a comment on kids out late 'possibly without lights'. Any kids of your own ? Let them ride at night without lights ? thats all you need to read into the comment, its not some major Australian social issue that needs solving :roll:

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:51 pm

human909 wrote:

The Sad state of affairs is that a young 13 year old girl is fighting for her life in Hospital after a Mongrel BMW driver knocked her off and done a runner ....and now her family are around her bedside wondering, praying she comes out of this ok. But all you can do is nitpick and quote my posts trying to make a point on whether or not a 13 year old girl should be riding her bike at night...or even dusk which is really the worst time. Kids are kids...they take risks even if they don't understand them.....but if it was my 13yr old daughter, no way in hell would she be riding her bike out on her own at that hour...too many crazies out there...and a crazy got her. Even at 13, still a child, barely a teenager and still very vulnerable. I like kids to be bicycling....but not at 8pm in a busy area.
The Mongrel will be caught...if it's anything like Sydney with Cameras peering down from every post....it only takes one to capture his rego number.

Cheers

brumby33

VWR Patagonia 2017

jindydiver

Postby jindydiver » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:56 am

and another one from this weekend...
http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/sto ... us-injury/

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:57 am

brumby33 wrote:The Sad state of affairs is that a young 13 year old girl is fighting for her life in Hospital after a Mongrel BMW driver knocked her off and done a runner
I think we can all agree on that. But what we don't agree on and what I continue to find objectionable is your attitude to 13 year olds riding.
brumby33 wrote:Kids are kids...they take risks even if they don't understand them.....
brumby33 wrote:I like kids to be bicycling....but not at 8pm in a busy area.
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and again are not intending to blame the victims here. But your attitude is part of the problem. If you don't think a 13 year old should be permitted to cycle at 8pm that IS an issue. And it is a big part of why we don't have many cyclists and why cyclists are treated so very badly on our roads.
NASHIE wrote:its not some major Australian social issue that needs solving :roll:
Yet we seem to have threads dedicated to the major Australian social issue that needs to be solved. Dangerous motorists. And if you think motorists attitudes towards cyclists have nothing to do with the lack of young cyclists on our roads then you are kidding yourself.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:24 am

Let's calm it down. We all agree that based on the information - it is shocking and disgraceful behaviour by the driver who will surely be located. Hit and run doesn't reflect well regardless of the circumstances particularly when it is a child.

Regarding the discussion, sometimes when a statement or comments appear that are found by some to be questionable - the reaction can be rash and extreme. Instead of normalising by following a more diplomatic and kinder approach - the result is that extreme views and statements end up souring it all.

As a cycling community we are all on the same side, and individuals we can have different reactions or views so in working together and, if we can show more kindness and understanding towards one another, this helps us unit to push for better cycling safety and more responsibility for politicians for transport which serves society.
Cycling is in my BNA

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:45 am

I think that some here should think twice before they go on the attack and start nit picking and quoting posts....we all have opinions, may not match those of others but doesn't mean that they are wrong opinions.

Cheers

brumby33

VWR Patagonia 2017

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:09 am

You say attack and nit-picking. I say challenging views and attitudes that are detrimental to the safety of all cyclists. And especially detrimental to the participation rates and the safety of young cyclists.

"As a cycling community we are all on the same side, and individuals we can have different reactions or views so in working together and, if we can show more kindness and understanding towards one another, this helps us unit to push for better cycling safety and more responsibility for politicians for transport which serves society."

Brumby33. I apologise if I have come across in an unkind manner or one which shows lack of understanding. We do differ in our views. A key aspect of my view is being accepting and encouraging of all cyclists young and old, male and female. The more people that cycle, the more safe it is for all. And from my experience and from ample evidence from overseas a 13 year old is more than capable of navigating our road system safely.

It brings a smile to my face to see the bike racks of my local primary schools packed to the brim. What doesn't bring a smile is another cyclist discouraging teenagers from cycling.

(Cycling in my area is very common. Coburg where this occured is less than 5km away and the proliferation of cycling has been spreading north rapidly.)
Last edited by human909 on Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:37 am

human909 wrote:You say attack and nit-picking. I say challenging views and attitudes that are detrimental to the safety of all cyclists. And especially detrimental to the participation rates and the safety of young cyclists.
Where in my posts did I have a view or attitude that was detrimental to the safety of all cyclists....all I did originally is question why a 13 year old girl was out riding her bike in the dark or as it's getting dark as the case may be in Melbourne, wasn't victim blaming or taking anything away from anyone.....but I want to see as many cyclists out there as all of you do ...

I don't know how it is in Melbourne but I think in many places, better street lighting would make things safer for everyone, bike riders, peds and could also reduce crime in general. Driving around in a bus at night makes me observe the fact that even some pedestrian crossings are nearly invisible as there's little to no street lighting or the lights being covered by over growing trees and many of these are in busy thoroughfares.

VWR Patagonia 2017

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:39 am

Just give up Human 909 is ALWAYS RIGHT... NO OTHER OPINION IS ALLOWED

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:41 am

CXCommuter wrote:Just give up Human 909 is ALWAYS RIGHT... NO OTHER OPINION IS ALLOWED
:lol: :lol: so it seems :lol: :lol:

VWR Patagonia 2017