Abusive Male Cyclists

Angela

Abusive Male Cyclists

Postby Angela » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:29 pm

Today I was abused by a lycra clad middle aged male cyclist for not driving quickly enough causing him to after flying down the hill behind me to put his - wait for it - brake on.

Today, after leaving the park with my young daughter, I checked in the rear vision and side mirrors as usual before pulling out on to the road. I did see that there was a bike a long way back and I mean at least 200m. I had no idea that the guy on the bike was actually flying along which he must have been to eventually catch up to my daughter's window and scream abuse at me.

I wound down the window to clarify what he was saying and the gist of it was that I was going slower than him and hence caused him to brake when he caught up and so I am an inconsiderate bit**. He screamed this and other things through the window at me over the top of my child.

This, you see, riding a bicycle, is some guys, misguided self righteous motivation to abuse people, what heroes.

Clad in the lycra with no number plates and treating me and my child like this is wrong. The bikes need number plates as this had a dreadful effect on my child and me. Without doubt I would report this man to the police. I certainly will recognise him and his outfit and hope that I get to find out who he is as I will report him. Abuse like this is not O.K.

If I am in a car and need to slow down because another car in front is going slower than me after pulling out way in front of me, guess what? I use the brake.

This is not the first time I have been abused by a cyclist, last time I blocked their lane when turning into it when another car had to reverse off a crossing, leaving me stuck until the peak hour traffic again moved. A bike a long way from me, finally reached me and abused me instead of just realising the situation - they had a great excuse to abuse me, right?

Everyone using the roads needs a registration plate instead of glasses and lycra to hide behind.

macca33

Re: Abusive Male Cyclists

Postby macca33 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:05 pm

I've been abused by plenty of drivers - whilst driving, using my feet and whilst riding a bicycle....a number of them were female. What is your point, exactly???

Perhaps, rather than coming onto this forum for your rant, you ought to have aimed your effort at ACTUALLY heading into the local copshop and reporting this incident - seeing as you are so concerned / infuriated by it....
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:16 pm

Don't tar us all with the same brush Angela ;)
We are just a cohort of people and like all cohorts, there are a number of "tools" amongst us.
Be that as it may, it is quite likely these cyclists have previously been bullied, harassed and/or had their lives placed in danger by other drivers.
There are a significant proportion of (usually male) drivers who believe cyclists have no right to share the road and will use their vehicles to underline the point.
Whilst it doesn't excuse the behaviour of these cyclists it may explain their mindset a bit.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:21 pm

I was abused by a car driver the other day for just riding along the road minding my own business.
Having a number plate to report to police makes no difference when I asked a Police member friend of mine, they will still take no action unless an assault occurs.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:37 pm

Thank you for commenting - I know you will get a lot of backlash but trust that other members will be polite and respectful. It should be noted that it is highly unlikely that anyone here knows the rider in question and just as individual motorists are not personally or collectively responsible for the actions of the bad apples, likewise, the broad group of cyclists are not responsible for the actions of this person.

In this incident we have details from one perspective which makes it difficult to judge but if is is exactly as you stated and the rider was unhappy with the speed, the reaction is extremely poor. I am a bit concerned with some of the details you have provided, if there is more to this and the scenario was different, it is possible that the rider has reacted to this. It is still not a pleasant reaction for you and your daughter and worth considering that bike riders do face a personal risk and potentially life threatening actions that are shocking. At times a motor vehicle driver is not aware of this and oblivious to the danger they can create for other road users.

You have provided a solution and I feel that it is a "knee-jerk reaction" which will not resolve the problem you have identified. Did you know that the cost of bike registration is prohibitive so if it was enforced, then more of your own personal income tax would be used to help cover the administration costs of a bike rider registration. It is worth highlighting that car registration dues do not go roads so it is not a case of 'paying your way', particularly when the majority of bike riders also drive and pay their normal taxes and registration for a motor vehicle. Bike rider registration is an added cost to the entire community and it is documented in numerous government and independent studies that benefits are negligible.

Hypothetically if there was a number plate, what would happen? Exactly the same thing when a motor vehicle almost knocks a bike rider off or hurls abuse (bike riders as a group are frequently on the receiving end). If the rider reports it to the police, in almost all cases nothing happens, there are no consequences. The registration and identification does not mean that bad apples are automatically accountable and it doesn't resolve the problem you have identified.

In the situation where you blocked the bike path, it is easier for me to understand that the rider has reacted. The bike path is meant to provide safe passage and it meant to be convenient for both bike riders and motor traffic. But is is very common to experience motor vehicles intentionally or unintentionally blocking the lane and is a basic frustration.

While it is fair that you are unhappy and that you can direct anger to the individual riders who you feel are responsible - should everyone else who is not responsible or involved be blamed and penalised?

As a car driver (most bike riders drive) you have no direct control over the actions of other motorists, bike riders as a group also don't have the control or responsibility of the actions of individuals.

The best thing that non-cyclists can do is push the politicians for better cycling infrastructure - generally less that 1% of state government budgets go to cycling and pedestrian infrastructure combined. But when infrastructure for bicycle riders is better, there is usually better separation or markings or safety that means that motorists and bike riders have safer and more convenient travel... so it benefits all.

From a practical perspective, whether I ride a bike or drive a car I opt for a courteous approach because it is about sharing the roads and there are no prizes.

To close up, I hope that you can understand that following your unpleasant experience, bike riders as a broad group should not be judged by the actions of individuals and that there are solutions which would to benefit road users and the government has the responsibility to take positive action.

Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:40 pm

macca33 wrote:I've been abused by plenty of drivers - whilst driving, using my feet and whilst riding a bicycle....a number of them were female. What is your point, exactly???

Perhaps, rather than coming onto this forum for your rant, you ought to have aimed your effort at ACTUALLY heading into the local copshop and reporting this incident - seeing as you are so concerned / infuriated by it....
I suspect Angela will probably be in touch with the usual AM radio talkback hosts instead. Angela might even be one of them under an assumed name. Or one of the News Limited journalists fishing for lines and reactions for a story to be printed or go online sometime during the week. :!:
Angela wrote:Today I was abused by a lycra clad middle aged male cyclist for not driving quickly enough causing him to after flying down the hill behind me to put his - wait for it - brake on.

Today, after leaving the park with my young daughter, I checked in the rear vision and side mirrors as usual before pulling out on to the road. I did see that there was a bike a long way back and I mean at least 200m. I had no idea that the guy on the bike was actually flying along which he must have been to eventually catch up to my daughter's window and scream abuse at me.

I wound down the window to clarify what he was saying and the gist of it was that I was going slower than him and hence caused him to brake when he caught up and so I am an inconsiderate bit**. He screamed this and other things through the window at me over the top of my child.

This, you see, riding a bicycle, is some guys, misguided self righteous motivation to abuse people, what heroes.

Clad in the lycra with no number plates and treating me and my child like this is wrong. The bikes need number plates as this had a dreadful effect on my child and me. Without doubt I would report this man to the police. I certainly will recognise him and his outfit and hope that I get to find out who he is as I will report him. Abuse like this is not O.K.

If I am in a car and need to slow down because another car in front is going slower than me after pulling out way in front of me, guess what? I use the brake.

This is not the first time I have been abused by a cyclist, last time I blocked their lane when turning into it when another car had to reverse off a crossing, leaving me stuck until the peak hour traffic again moved. A bike a long way from me, finally reached me and abused me instead of just realising the situation - they had a great excuse to abuse me, right?

Everyone using the roads needs a registration plate instead of glasses and lycra to hide behind.
I've been abused by drivers, even had one try to follow me... They have number plates. And they were reported, and got away it it. So I'm guessing that is okay. Why is that okay for them to do that - that's my question to you. You need to apologise for their actions too. Because you are a driver, just like they are.

Just in the way you expect those of us who are pretty mild mannered to be tarred by the same broad brush you've swept across all people.

Maybe there is truth in your report, but I've learned to be rather suspicious.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:03 pm

Not sure why we can't accept Angel's story at it's face value.

As regards the registration idea, ask yourself how many times you have seen a vehicle run a red light in all your years of driving. Or someone driving through a stop sign? Then ask yourself how many times you submitted a police report. To think they will serve a purpose is harking after a world we may wnt but not the world we have.

Regrets Angela for those too tribal to give a cogent response. Arbuckle23's response makes me think of the #notallmen meme. There are tools on bikes just as there are tools in cars and it should be recognised. Plenty of tools.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:26 pm

g-boaf wrote:Angela might even be one of them under an assumed name. Or one of the News Limited journalists fishing for lines and reactions for a story to be printed or go online sometime during the week. :!:
I was wondering that myself. Especially given the recent article in the paper written along the same lines of angry male cyclists.....

RichB

Postby RichB » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:11 am

Cool story. But exactly how a number plate would help is not even questionable given the details. It wouldn't have helped at all except provide a temporary avenue for you to vent. Without knowing what else was going on and what you may have inadvertently caused to said rider, we don't know the full story. We've all been abused by other road users at some point, it sucks but there's all types out there. Maybe think about what you can do differently next time in a similar situation, and tough as it may be, think about it from all people's perspectives. Including those with a phobia of arguments constructed of fallacies and commas.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:17 am

You know that when pulling out into traffic you're required to do so in a manner that doesn't infringe on other vehicles, right?
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

battler2

Postby battler2 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:33 am

as a male cyclist if only i came here to post every time a female driver or pedestrian abused me for doing absolutely nothing wrong. the world would be a better place. not.

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:39 am

I'm sure "Angela" will sleep better tonight knowing she went out of her way to register on a forum and make one post for the archives.

Patt0

Postby Patt0 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:19 am

Last edited by AUbicycles on Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin Edit - rather than an uncommented link, either a description or embed when the options are available

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:41 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Not sure why we can't accept Angel's story at it's face value..
How long have you been around the internet and forums like this? You are one of the old guard here - surely you should know to never accept anything at face value on the internet.

BJL

Postby BJL » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:47 am

Angela wrote:Today I was abused by a lycra clad middle aged male cyclist for not driving quickly enough causing him to after flying down the hill behind me to put his - wait for it - brake on.
Ironically enough, one of the most common complaints motorists use against cyclists.

Angela, whilst I don't condone the actions of the cyclist (we should all get along on the roads), what you experienced is a tiny fraction of the bad and dangerous behaviour shown by motorists towards cyclists.

Also consider that when you were abused by the cyclist, you were in very little danger. When motorists abuse and engage in dangerous behaviour on the roads towards cyclists, cyclists often get injured or killed. And often the motorist just drives away leaving an injured or dead person on the road. A number plate is only any good if someone records it.
Angela wrote:
Another ironic statement, since this is pretty much what I think happens to many people when they get behind the wheel of a motor vehicle.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:17 am

Seems the OP has 'left the building'

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:23 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Not sure why we can't accept Angel's story at it's face value..
I can accept her story at face value - but that value is not very much. First Angela misjudged the cyclists speed - she admits that she saw the cyclist but the cyclist was much quicker that she thought. 2nd Angela misjudged the distance - she says the cyclist was 200m away. At 60km/h a vehicle takes 12 seconds to travel 200m. The rest of her story strongly suggests the time between pulling out and the incident was much less than 12 seconds.

Its possible that the cyclist overreacted, but given Angela's failure to appreciate how her own mistakes contributed to the incident, I'm not willing to assume that he did.
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:24 am

I was abused by a motorist once in similar circumstances. Of course the difference was I took down their registration plate and contacted the police. To my great shock the police officer refused to identify the driver to me. I thought - what's the point of that? I haven't bothered since.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:40 am

This thread is useless without pictures

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:42 am

find_bruce wrote:
I can accept her story at face value - but that value is not very much. First Angela misjudged the cyclists speed - she admits that she saw the cyclist but the cyclist was much quicker that she thought. 2nd Angela misjudged the distance - she says the cyclist was 200m away. At 60km/h a vehicle takes 12 seconds to travel 200m. The rest of her story strongly suggests the time between pulling out and the incident was much less than 12 seconds.

Its possible that the cyclist overreacted, but given Angela's failure to appreciate how her own mistakes contributed to the incident, I'm not willing to assume that he did.
^^ This. Thanks for expressing my reservations about Angela's account so succinctly.

Angela, if you are reading this, please understand that all the respondents here also drive, and probably more than they cycle. We see your incident from both the cyclist and driver perspective. It would be helpful if you could put yourself in the cyclists' shoes.

Many of us have had close calls or actual collisions with motor vehicles. I have had 4 such collisions. Fortunately only one required hospitalisation, but three resulted in injury that needed treatment. *All* were deemed the fault of the driver by police (and one resulted in the driver having their license suspended on the spot). We have what you could described a heightened sense of vulnerability. That will sometimes cause what you may sometimes see as an over-reaction.

Casual carelessness from drivers can result in life-changing injury for vulnerable road users like motorbike riders and bicycle riders. Please bear that in next time you go to pull out in front of a cyclist.

How would you feel if you and your daughter were being closely tailgated by a B-double road train on the freeway? Uncomfortable? Scared? Angry? Maybe now you get what it's like for cyclists when drivers behave inconsiderately.

march83

Postby march83 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:45 am

find_bruce wrote:

this is pretty much my take away too - the cyclist was a jerk and nothing justifies their actions, but the OP either failed to respect the cyclist in the manner that they would a car or failed to see them and pulled out anyway. Neither is OK, both are mistakes on the part of the driver and are super simple, bread and butter driving skills that people just shouldn't be making mistakes with.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:47 am

I had my first post removed so I need to be careful what I say, but notwithstanding the 'facts' of her case I think the tone of the OPs letter indicates a hatred of cyclists.
Three times she mentions "lycra clad" ...."clad in lycra".... "lycra to hide behind"
This is a common insult from the bike haters. And a common media description. The fact that footballers, runners and many other sportspeople wear lycra seems to be lost on them. What other group of people are referred to by their choice of clothing? I don't hear about wetsuit-clad surfers, Hi-Vis-clad tradies, activewear-clad soccer mums, polo fleece-clad fisherman etc
The perceived insult is not a very good insult as we will wear whatever we want when we ride. But coming on to a cycling forum and attempting to insult people is not really going to help your 'cause'.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:48 am

As one who's been at the receiving end of vehicular nonsense....I don't care Angela. In fact, I don't even believe your version of events. I think you've decided to have a go at cyclists in general and have made a supporting story up. A hint for you.....referring to your "young child" three times in the first couple of sentences is a give away. Make it more believable next time.

Have a nice day, otherwise. :D

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:50 am

I am a suspicious person by nature and "Angela" has gone to the trouble of finding this forum, joining to start a thread about being abused by a cyclist who she may or may not have cut off. As always there are two sides to a story and we can all share our tales of being abused by motorists for no reason that we can see.

I hope Angela can report back that the cyclists in this forum have in the main been polite and considerate in their response to her complaint.

I think the continuing theme we can all say here is having a number plate would make little difference to reporting any verbal abuse to Police. When cyclists report verbal abuse, nothing is done despite having the details of the car.

In fact when driving your car, try reporting a car for speeding past you above the speed limit or running a stop sign or stop light to Police. Nothing will happen.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:17 am

I think it's safe to assume that "Angela's" post count will permanently remain at 1
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!