Tubeless Tyre Pressure

Dudeman

Tubeless Tyre Pressure

Postby Dudeman » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:30 am

Hi all,

I've been riding my first road bike for 2 weeks now and was wondering what people would recommend for tyre pressures.
I'm running 25mm Giant Gavia Race 1 Tubeless Tyres, I weigh around 72kg and have been running 100psi. It seems to be fine but a bit more dampening of the rougher roads would be nice.

Does having tubeless change anything? Simon Richardson was saying that he runs 80 front 85 rear on his 25mm tyres, would this be a good option? Should I just play around with different pressures?

Any advice appreciated!

Duck!
Expert

Re: Tubeless Tyre Pressure

Postby Duck! » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:04 pm

Ideal pressure in any given tyre is directly related to rider weight. As a general guide, the tyre should compress by about 15% of its profile height. To start, measure from the ground to the lowest point of the rim sidewall, with no weight on the bike. Then sit on the bike and get an assistant to make the same measurements. Adjust pressures until the measurement is 15% less than the unweighted figure.

Tubeless tyres will generally run slightly lower pressure than equivalent tubed tyres because the sidewalls are a bit more rigid.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:07 pm

100psi sounds a bit high. I run that in the back (25mm tyres) and I am 95kg.

Here is a diagram showing pressures to give the 15% drop that Duck mentions for various rider weights. Note that the weight is the weight on each wheel.

With tubeless it is also possible to run a bit lower pressure because you don't get pinch punctures.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:16 pm

There was a fairly recent blog post at Road.cc on the topic of tyre pressures. Just adds more to what has been said here really but you might find it interesting.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:51 am

Currently a rather unfit 79kg atm and I run my 25mm Vittoria SC tyres at 80psi in the rear and 60 in the front. This is with tubes though. I have yet to suffer from any pinch flats and I ride some pretty ordinary roads as well as a bit of dirt. I do run Orange Seal in my tubes to help prevent punctures.

After reading this article I would be hesitant to run any tubeless tyre over 60 psi though.

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2017/05/ ... -tubeless/

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:00 pm

Dudeman wrote: I'm running 25mm Giant Gavia Race 1 Tubeless Tyres, I weigh around 72kg and have been running 100psi. It seems to be fine but a bit more dampening of the rougher roads would be nice.
I used the GCN video as well as the chart Sharkey linked as a guide for my 25s. I weigh 68kg, I normally put about 80 rear, 75 front but that's with tubes. Tubeless would be more like 70 and 65?
I know that's more than the chart recommends, I'm just being lazy and slightly over-inflating to allow for some inevitable pressure loss over time :) I only check pressures every fortnight or so.

You'll feel a big comfort improvement dropping ~20psi.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

tomee

Postby tomee » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:58 am

ive been constantly playing around
on one bike i run 25mm and put 75psi front and rear. The other with 28mm i put 70psi