90% of bike-accidents preventable...

human909

90% of bike-accidents preventable...

Postby human909 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:56 pm

BREAKING NEWS
https://www.theonion.com/study-90-of-bi ... 1820403123
WASHINGTON—Saying it was a simple but effective measure to reduce potentially deadly incidents, a study published Monday by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration found that 90 percent of bike accidents could be prevented by buying a car like a normal person. “Our data confirm that the vast majority of cyclist injuries can be avoided simply by driving an automobile instead of biking around like some weirdo,” said lead researcher Dr. Laura Gafferty, adding that while bicycle riding was perfectly acceptable for children under 12, it was not recommended for any actual grown-up who wasn’t competing in the Tour de France or similar event where it wasn’t completely ridiculous. “Regular people drive cars because it’s the normal and not the abnormal thing to do. If every cyclist purchased and operated a car like you’re supposed to as an adult, bike fatalities would drop an estimated 40 percent within six months alone.” Gafferty went on to say that people who biked for exercise should consider driving to a gym and using a stationary bike facing a wall of televisions like everyone else.

NASHIE

Re: 90% of bike-accidents preventable...

Postby NASHIE » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:16 pm

100% of motor vehicle accidents preventable if everyone rode a bike :idea:

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:25 pm

What's an 'accident'? :roll:

Yes, I know The Onion is satire. I just hate people using the word 'accident' when an incident is almost always not accidental.

Tim

Postby Tim » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:44 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote: ...The Onion is satire.
American satire.
They've never been very good at it.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:03 am

Yes we are all individuals
I'm not

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:20 am

CXCommuter wrote:Yes we are all individuals
I'm not
I feel a Python quoting fest about to happen :D

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:22 am

Must resist temptation

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:23 am

Ni.

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:25 am

It's just a flesh wound.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:37 am

ekki-ekki-ekki-pitang-zoom-boing

Temptation resistance futile :oops:

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:24 pm

'e's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy!

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:27 pm

Trouble at t'mill

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:32 pm

bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:14 pm

Fetch the comfy chair.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:25 pm

This 90% figure has got me stumped. Surely the implication is that the remaining 10% of bike-related accidents are still going to happen anyway even if nobody is actually riding bikes. How does this work?

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:08 pm

Philistine wrote:This 90% figure has got me stumped. Surely the implication is that the remaining 10% of bike-related accidents are still going to happen anyway even if nobody is actually riding bikes. How does this work?
Tour de France crashes and accidents at the gym I assume ... it might require government agencies to enforce MHL's on exercise bikes before we can hope to see a figure close to 100%
Go!Run!GAH!

li2099

Postby li2099 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:35 am

Wow that one smart finding there.
I can further conclude, 100% road accidents can be avoided if there no one was to use the road that day for the duration of the investigation. :roll:

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:47 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote:What's an 'accident'? :roll:

Yes, I know The Onion is satire. I just hate people using the word 'accident' when an incident is almost always not accidental.
I recall somewhere (on this forum I think) a cyclist objecting to the use of the term "incident" in a media item concerning car vs bike. though the term "incident" trivialised the accident and I'm inclined to agree.

In my eyes, most are accidents.

After all, even where negligence features, the outcomes are seldom intended, they are unexpected.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

human909

Postby human909 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:50 am

Isn't language and its nuances interesting! :D
ColinOldnCranky wrote:I recall somewhere (on this forum I think) a cyclist objecting to the use of the term "incident" in a media item concerning car vs bike. though the term "incident" trivialised the accident and I'm inclined to agree.
The word incident certainly implies lower consequences. So using it when there are severe consequences is risking trivializing it..
ColinOldnCranky wrote: In my eyes, most are accidents.

After all, even where negligence features, the outcomes are seldom intended, they are unexpected.
Quite true in the literal sense. However it both casts premature judgement on the cause and trivialises the negligence that was very likely involved. (Knocking over a glass of water and knocking or driving into a cyclist might be both a careless accident, but in one case you have a much greater duty of care and you excuse of being careless shouldn't cut it.)

The word collision seems better. It states a fact and doesn't have implications to the cause or nuances to severity.

BJL

Postby BJL » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:03 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:

In my mind, very few 'accidents' are accidents at all. In my mind, an accident cannot be foreseen, prevented or blamed on anyone. Barring some cases of mechanical breakdown (which the owner of the vehicle may not have been aware of even for a fully serviced vehicle) or medical emergency, just about every single 'accident' on the roads could have been foreseen and therefore prevented.

By labeling 'negligence' as 'accidental', you are trivializing the collision. It's this blase attitude on our roads that often kills people.

In my mind, most 'accidents' as you call it should be called for what they are, 'collisions'. In the worst cases, 'collisions' are the result of what I see as criminal negligence.

And unfortunately, in Australian media, collisions between cyclists and motor vehicles are often misrepresented being that the cyclist collides with the motor vehicle irrespective of the true circumstances.

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:28 pm

I am disappointed that the python quotes dried up so quickly. Most of us on this forum are "of a certain age" and I have a "Ripping Yarns" quote that fits our common obsession with all things bicycle -

The follies of men's youth are, in retrospect, glorious, when compared to the follies of their old age.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:13 pm

BJL wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:

In my mind, very few 'accidents' are accidents at all. In my mind, an accident cannot be foreseen, prevented or blamed on anyone. Barring some cases of mechanical breakdown (which the owner of the vehicle may not have been aware of even for a fully serviced vehicle) or medical emergency, just about every single 'accident' on the roads could have been foreseen and therefore prevented.

By labeling 'negligence' as 'accidental', you are trivializing the collision. It's this blase attitude on our roads that often kills people.

In my mind, most 'accidents' as you call it should be called for what they are, 'collisions'. In the worst cases, 'collisions' are the result of what I see as criminal negligence.

And unfortunately, in Australian media, collisions between cyclists and motor vehicles are often misrepresented being that the cyclist collides with the motor vehicle irrespective of the true circumstances.
Very well argued. I totally agree.