New Fly6 CE and Fly12 CE Camera's

Bunged Knee

Re: New Fly6 CE and Fly12 CE Camera's

Postby Bunged Knee » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:08 am

HyperHorse wrote:
Bunged Knee wrote:Looks good but I`d rather have them with replaceable batteries.

You realise perhaps that alkaline batteries can't deliver the same juice that lithium batteries can?
Time to come to the 21st century.

Not the alkaline batteries. It will run out of juice after over 500 recharges and you can`t replace it with new rechargeable lithium batteries to make it run again.

See my old post in " Replace fly6 1st Generation Battery thread" in the Bike Shed sub forum. http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1425146#p1425146
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

tomee

Postby tomee » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:23 am

Anyone managed to find deals on the yet?

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:09 pm

I just picked up my Fly6 CE and Fly12 CE Camera. No special del as such, just the Duo Mount thrown in for free, so in theory a $90 saving if you need the mount (which I did).

I have had a little tinker with them, which was mostly limited to charging and connecting to the App to set them up. So far so good. I am impressed with the size of the Fly12 CE, as I had only seen the older version prior to this. It's nice and compact.

Hopefully not too long until I give it a test. My commuter bike is still not finished it's rebuild, as I have been dragging out my bike fit until after I went back into hospital to have my IVC Filter removed (which happened on Tuesday), so time to organise my bike fit and get the commuter back on the road and start living my life again.

Will be interested to see how the FLy cameras compare to the Garmin VIRB's I have been running until now.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '15 Cervelo S5

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:31 pm

bianchi928 wrote:
caneye wrote:Did you try a different USB port or USB cable?

Thanks Caneye, I gave that a crack with no luck.

Ended up buying an external sd reader from Coles for $10 and I can access the contents of the SD card now.

I must say I was pretty impressed with quality of the picture.

Just tried both mine. I can't get the Mac (a 2010 Mac Mini) to recognise the Fly12CE, but the Fly6CE shows up just fine. I can get both to show up on the Surface Pro 3.
With the jump up to 1080@60fps, this Mac Mini has now reached the end of it's life. To be honest, it reached the end of it's life when I started using 1080p at any frame rate. So, I am not overly fussed about that. On the Garmin VIRBs I would just wipe the footage every day if nothing exiting had happened.

No idea why the Fly12 is not showing up on the PC. Must be a firmware glitch (I have 1.0.34). I just checked the Cycliq site, and there is a newer Firmware there (1.0.36), so will have a look at updating it and see if that solves the issue.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '15 Cervelo S5

tomee

Postby tomee » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:53 pm

ebay has 20% off tech sellers.
good time to buy

geoffs

Postby geoffs » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:00 pm

Well I bought a Fly 12CE and so far it's been a total waste of money as sometimes it records and sometimes it doesn't. The green light saying it's recording has no bearing whatsoever on it actually recording. I have had a ticket from support going on for the last 5 days trying to resolve this. The latest one is that I have been sent a new firmware file as the suggestion is that the current one is corrupted. I'll find out on tomorrows ride whether this is the correct fix.

Queequeg
The Fly12ce needs to switched on after you've connected it to the computer for the files to be seen

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:28 pm

tomee wrote:ebay has 20% off tech sellers.
good time to buy

$207 delivered, good heads-up :)

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:06 pm

geoffs wrote:
Queequeg
The Fly12ce needs to switched on after you've connected it to the computer for the files to be seen

Yes, that's what I thought too. Works on my Surface Pro 3, but not on my Mac. Of course, when you turn the thing on, it starts recording. That is pretty daft when the device is plugged into the computer. It should go into Mass Storage Mode and operate just like a USB Flash Drive.

I have not had a chance to test the cameras about. The design is certainly nice, but it seems the usability is a case of shooting themselves in the foot. I am coming from using two Garmin VIRBs, which are pretty much foolproof. Clip cameras into mounts, turn them both on. Flick the slider switch on the front camera and it starts the rear camera recording as well. Stop front camera, rear camera stops too. You can take a still photo whilst recording by pressing the photo button, or by using your Garmin Head Unit to control the camera.

The only downside of the Garmin is the battery life, which is terrible, plus the fact it uses a chunk of space on the bars or saddle rails.

Will see how I go once I have the bike setup, but I won't be persisting with buggy hardware this time. If it creates me issues, I will move it on at a discount and cut my losses and just update my VIRBs to the newer model instead.