New Fly6 CE and Fly12 CE Camera's

Bunged Knee

Re: New Fly6 CE and Fly12 CE Camera's

Postby Bunged Knee » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:08 am

HyperHorse wrote:
Bunged Knee wrote:Looks good but I`d rather have them with replaceable batteries.
You realise perhaps that alkaline batteries can't deliver the same juice that lithium batteries can?
Time to come to the 21st century.
Not the alkaline batteries. It will run out of juice after over 500 recharges and you can`t replace it with new rechargeable lithium batteries to make it run again.

See my old post in " Replace fly6 1st Generation Battery thread" in the Bike Shed sub forum. http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 6#p1425146
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

tomee

Postby tomee » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:23 am

Anyone managed to find deals on the yet?

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:09 pm

I just picked up my Fly6 CE and Fly12 CE Camera. No special del as such, just the Duo Mount thrown in for free, so in theory a $90 saving if you need the mount (which I did).

I have had a little tinker with them, which was mostly limited to charging and connecting to the App to set them up. So far so good. I am impressed with the size of the Fly12 CE, as I had only seen the older version prior to this. It's nice and compact.

Hopefully not too long until I give it a test. My commuter bike is still not finished it's rebuild, as I have been dragging out my bike fit until after I went back into hospital to have my IVC Filter removed (which happened on Tuesday), so time to organise my bike fit and get the commuter back on the road and start living my life again.

Will be interested to see how the FLy cameras compare to the Garmin VIRB's I have been running until now.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:31 pm

bianchi928 wrote:
caneye wrote:Did you try a different USB port or USB cable?
Thanks Caneye, I gave that a crack with no luck.

Ended up buying an external sd reader from Coles for $10 and I can access the contents of the SD card now.

I must say I was pretty impressed with quality of the picture.
Just tried both mine. I can't get the Mac (a 2010 Mac Mini) to recognise the Fly12CE, but the Fly6CE shows up just fine. I can get both to show up on the Surface Pro 3.
With the jump up to 1080@60fps, this Mac Mini has now reached the end of it's life. To be honest, it reached the end of it's life when I started using 1080p at any frame rate. So, I am not overly fussed about that. On the Garmin VIRBs I would just wipe the footage every day if nothing exiting had happened.

No idea why the Fly12 is not showing up on the PC. Must be a firmware glitch (I have 1.0.34). I just checked the Cycliq site, and there is a newer Firmware there (1.0.36), so will have a look at updating it and see if that solves the issue.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

tomee

Postby tomee » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:53 pm

ebay has 20% off tech sellers.
good time to buy

geoffs

Postby geoffs » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:00 pm

Well I bought a Fly 12CE and so far it's been a total waste of money as sometimes it records and sometimes it doesn't. The green light saying it's recording has no bearing whatsoever on it actually recording. I have had a ticket from support going on for the last 5 days trying to resolve this. The latest one is that I have been sent a new firmware file as the suggestion is that the current one is corrupted. I'll find out on tomorrows ride whether this is the correct fix.

Queequeg
The Fly12ce needs to switched on after you've connected it to the computer for the files to be seen

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:28 pm

tomee wrote:ebay has 20% off tech sellers.
good time to buy
$207 delivered, good heads-up :)

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:06 pm

geoffs wrote:
Queequeg
The Fly12ce needs to switched on after you've connected it to the computer for the files to be seen
Yes, that's what I thought too. Works on my Surface Pro 3, but not on my Mac. Of course, when you turn the thing on, it starts recording. That is pretty daft when the device is plugged into the computer. It should go into Mass Storage Mode and operate just like a USB Flash Drive.

I have not had a chance to test the cameras about. The design is certainly nice, but it seems the usability is a case of shooting themselves in the foot. I am coming from using two Garmin VIRBs, which are pretty much foolproof. Clip cameras into mounts, turn them both on. Flick the slider switch on the front camera and it starts the rear camera recording as well. Stop front camera, rear camera stops too. You can take a still photo whilst recording by pressing the photo button, or by using your Garmin Head Unit to control the camera.

The only downside of the Garmin is the battery life, which is terrible, plus the fact it uses a chunk of space on the bars or saddle rails.

Will see how I go once I have the bike setup, but I won't be persisting with buggy hardware this time. If it creates me issues, I will move it on at a discount and cut my losses and just update my VIRBs to the newer model instead.

caneye

Postby caneye » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:59 am

I've had my Fly6CE switched off by itself twice now (only started using it 2 weeks ago). On both occasions, they occurred in the middle of the ride with no alert, no alarm, no notification at all. I only found out when I stopped at the lights to check and it was not switched on. Not impressed. It's no good if I have to keep on checking it throughout my ride. On both occasions, there was still plenty of battery left (i.e. 3 beeps = 50-75%).

With the old 6[v], at least I get a few loud beeps before it went flat.

Waiting on Cycliq support to provide some input.

(software version 2.7.17)

bianchi928

Postby bianchi928 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:26 am

caneye wrote:I've had my Fly6CE switched off by itself twice now (only started using it 2 weeks ago). On both occasions, they occurred in the middle of the ride with no alert, no alarm, no notification at all. I only found out when I stopped at the lights to check and it was not switched on. Not impressed. It's no good if I have to keep on checking it throughout my ride. On both occasions, there was still plenty of battery left (i.e. 3 beeps = 50-75%).

With the old 6[v], at least I get a few loud beeps before it went flat.

Waiting on Cycliq support to provide some input.

(software version 2.7.17)
Me too. :(
Stand on my dog I cut off your head

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:55 am

The shut down problem appears pretty common. Check the comments section of the DC Rainmaker review (TomH Feb 24, Larry Feb 25, among others).

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/11/cyc ... -look.html

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:25 pm

Sounds like most shutoffs are due to false triggers of the impact detection. It will create LCK_ files on the SD card if that happens and then shutdown in half an hour.

You can turn it off until they fix it, which loses the crash locking, but no crash locking is better than the camera not recording at all without you being aware.

caneye

Postby caneye » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:39 pm

Jmuzz wrote:Sounds like most shutoffs are due to false triggers of the impact detection. It will create LCK_ files on the SD card if that happens and then shutdown in half an hour.

You can turn it off until they fix it, which loses the crash locking, but no crash locking is better than the camera not recording at all without you being aware.
gee, thanks for that info. It makes sense.
I saw that an LCK file was created. Then not long after that, the camera switched off. Exactly like how you described.
I'll disable it for the time-being.

bianchi928

Postby bianchi928 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:29 pm

Thanks BikerJK and Jmuzz. Much appreciated.

tomee

Postby tomee » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:27 pm

anyone know where i can get more of the under kedge mounts for the new CE fly12?

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:05 am

Mines got moisture in the lens after first 1hr wet ride.

Wouldn't recommend it at this stage. I very much doubt this device went through any field testing stage with the software bugs and instant leakage in damp conditions.

The DcRainmaker comments seem to have had a purge with most of the comments about the problems removed?
<<Edit, no seems to just be the mobile version of page throttling back the comments, still there if you select desktop version)>>

tabb

Postby tabb » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:14 am

I ordered a new Fly6 in the recent ebay 20% sale - received a tracking number but the parcel was never sent and the seller has not responded. Now just waiting the required time before it's automatically refunded. Kind of glad now after reading some of these posts.

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:45 am

Same happened with mine.
It sat on "information accepted" which means the eparcel thing was entered but not picked up or AusPost pickup driver lost it.

They responded same day and said they were sending another, which did turn up next day. Had the same tracking number and the first never turned up, so I assume it may never have gone out.

Did you contact through eBay report? They responded to that.

Right now I'm unhappy with it (leaking and 75% battery life) and may opt for a return rather than an exchange (if I have to wrap in a condom in the wet and use cable ties for the dodgy velcro I may as well be using a $20 dashcam and powerbank), so currently wouldn't sweat about asking for a refund rather than shipping fullfilment.

tabb

Postby tabb » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:54 am

Yeah contacted through ebay last week (after allowing three extra days for delivery beyond the promised next day express post) and have heard nothing at all from the seller. Thought maybe they had sold out or something but the listing is still active with stock available.

So I guess fingers crossed they don't respond and ebay intervenes and processes a refund!

Sorry to hear of your woes.

caneye

Postby caneye » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:32 am

There's a new Cycliq firmware out. Has anyone tried it yet?
It is supposed to address the false-incident-protection-mode trigger and incorrect display of battery life.

I have not installed the firmware yet, probably later this week.

I did switch off the incident-protection mode over the weekend and all went well for both rides (3 hours each ride). I was using 1080p60 with Max-Flash and battery was around 50% after the rides, which I thought was reasonable.

So far so good.

My 6CE is *not* on Airplane mode so the battery is being drained when not used. (still trying to get my head around toggling Airplane mode on/off)

I've ridden in wet and damp conditions and so far, I've had no issues with fogging or water ingress. (knock on wood)

The old Fly6v2 was a solid unit and drama-free in wet conditions.

chrisvdv

Postby chrisvdv » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:35 pm

Download the user manual from the Cycliq site, go Support choose fly 6ce, the shutdown procedure for Bluetooth is in there.

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:36 pm

caneye wrote:There's a new Cycliq firmware out. Has anyone tried it yet?.
Yeah, no false incidents yesterday so that's probably fixed.
Im going to turn it off regardless, I don't want to worry about it doing the silly shutoff when I lay my bike down during a pee run etc. 64G card takes longer than battery life to wrap around so no need for LCK.
Would be good if they would keep incident files without the silly 30 minute shutoff or whatever it does though.

I don't have powermeter or other devices so can't confirm if the RF signal clash problem is fixed. Sounds like it is though.

It did lose 2hrs of time somehow. Though I did run it to flat testing battery life so perhaps that upset it.

Some people seem to be having issues with not saving settings, but I never experienced that. Perhaps specific to certain SD cards. Settings saving just seems to be a txt file on the SD card so no real reason for that to revert.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:07 pm

chrisvdv wrote:Download the user manual from the Cycliq site, go Support choose fly 6ce, the shutdown procedure for Bluetooth is in there.
I can understand the intent of the Bluetooth/ANT+ always being active, but it's not like I am going to be fitting these to my bike then mucking about with the Garmin HEad Unit to enable the lights. It's similar to my Garmin VIRB cameras. Clip them onto the bike, turn the power on...turn on the Garmin Head Unit, which then finds the cameras and allows them to be controlled from the head unit.

I hadn't realised the Fly12/Fly6 were always on and I was scratching my head over the battery drain until I downloaded the full user guide and found the Airplane mode in the small print.

bianchi928

Postby bianchi928 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:15 pm

tomee wrote:anyone know where i can get more of the under kedge mounts for the new CE fly12?
I got mine from Wiggle

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:03 am

Jmuzz wrote: Some people seem to be having issues with not saving settings, but I never experienced that. Perhaps specific to certain SD cards. Settings saving just seems to be a txt file on the SD card so no real reason for that to revert.
Spoke too soon.
It had reverted to defaults this morning, though I had taken the SD card half out overnight to help it dry so thought fair enough that must cause it.

But I reconfigured it before ride to 30fps and changed name and disabled some unwanted flash modes, and now after ride 1hr it has reverted to defaults again.

So there is a bug with config being reset.

Edit: Possibly related to card type or water, new one is coming so will be able to see if that is the case.