New Fly6 CE and Fly12 CE Camera's

DaveQB

Re: New Fly6 CE and Fly12 CE Camera's

Postby DaveQB » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:24 am

tomee wrote:just got the email for pre order this morning
$399 for the FLY12 CE

I might wait to see if any of the UK retailers will have it cheaper like the original FLY12
I was wondering the same. I am thinking the Cycliq site is selling at RRP(?)
Ht: 182cm | Wt: 84kg | Bikes: Felt AR1 2016, Felt B2 2013
Sucessful Trades --> files.dward.us/Cycling/BNA-Trades.txt

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:20 am

DaveQB wrote:
tomee wrote:just got the email for pre order this morning
$399 for the FLY12 CE

I might wait to see if any of the UK retailers will have it cheaper like the original FLY12
I was wondering the same. I am thinking the Cycliq site is selling at RRP(?)
Cycliq site is selling original Fly12 for $239 with free shipping. Pushys at $250 and Wiggle haven`t put the price down but it`s at $390.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:52 am

Bunged Knee wrote: Cycliq site is selling original Fly12 for $239 with free shipping. Pushys at $250 and Wiggle haven`t put the price down but it`s at $390.
I thought tomee was talking about the CE versions.

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:15 pm

My first ride with the Fly12CE was okay, the camera operated as it should with no glitches or gremlins. I noted some movement with the supplied mounting adapter and some subsequent image quality issues. After supplying Cycliq with detailed high res photos of the adapter and sample footage they have diagnosed that I have inadvertently received an older revision of the adapter plate which they have since improved. Also noted during the discussion they have a newer firmware version with improvements for me to sample too.

So a new adapter plate is in the post and I'll give it another thrash upon arrival, hopefully in time for the weekend.

This adapter plate marries up to an 1/8th turn mount on the camera, this was positive, but very easy to remove. Commuters, Cycliq have listened to you, it will take you only a few seconds to strip from the bike before you dash for your morning coffee.

Regarding the LEDs, they are still difficult to see in full bright sunlight, when shaded they were ok and could be viewed whilst riding, unlike the original Fly12 when mounted under the bar or under the Duo-mount. They've listened and as they are now located on both sides they are equally visible with the camera mounted either upright or inverted.

Buttons are large and easy to access, the chimes are much more musical so some familiarity will be required to learn the difference from power on to power off.

What is missing is the WiFi connection and using the phone app to pull footage from the camera, something which I have done over time. I suspect this won't effect most as if you really want to work with the data, it's sooooo much quicker to plug into your computer and copy the files.

I really like the addition of a tool which enables you to modify the camera settings from your PC or Mac! I use the latter, just double click the file, it opens a window similar to the app and toggle away. This also updates the system time.

As for the 'Connected' part of the Fly12 CE, well I can't test that as I have Wahoo and Magellan GPS units, neither of which have a profile for ANT+ light control. This is predominately a Garmin thing at this stage. I thought (read hoped) that the CE would enable the camera to natively overlay sensor data like speed, hr, power, etc. But alas no, not yet anyway.

Regarding battery, can't comment yet, my ride was short at around an hour and a half. I need more time with it to gain a feel for real world run time. Stay tuned.
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:18 pm

Thanks PiratePete

li2099

Postby li2099 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:37 am

Great. My Fly6 has just died which means I'm in the market for the new Fly6CE.
Just waiting for reviews.

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:44 pm

An update from yesterday, I took the new Fly12CE on a 110km ride across Brisbane on various road and bike track surfaces. Although my moving time was just around 4h10m, total power on time was just under 6 hours, camera was set on 1080p/60FPS. Half the ride was with Electronic Image Stabilisation disabled and half with it enabled, and no light in use. When I arrived back home the app informed me that the battery still had 30% capacity. I cannot say at this stage how lineal the battery drop is however the claim of 8 hours seems to be fair by yesterday's experience.

My only real gripe with the camera's operation is the "I'm awake" chimes. I have this feature enabled on my current Fly12, set to 10 minute intervals to primarily tell me the battery status. For those who are new to the Fly12 the original one chimes 4 times for 100-75%, 3 for 75-50%, 2 for 50-25% and one beep for less than 25%. It does this at start up, shutdown, and for these "I'm awake" chimes. The new one does it at start up and shutdown, but the I'm awake chime is a single beep.

Many may prefer this, I prefer the audible battery reminder. The LEDs on the sides of the unit change colour to indicate battery level like the LED on the old one. However I confirmed yesterday that these are still difficult to see, particularly when amber or red.

Most people won't be particularly concerned but for those who out ride their Fly12 now, when I arrived home my Fly12 (1080p/45FPS, no light) emitted 3 beeps with the same run time. It must have been close to 50% but it did beep 3 times. So the new one will not out perform the original.

However I can confirm that it does operate with the USB-C cable powering/charging the unit, so providing the weather's good, a power bank will keep you going. Unplugging and closing the weather proof door while riding is an easy affair unlike the fiddly covers on the old unit.

Headlight hasn't been real world tested by me, however it appears very similar to the old one but apparently brighter an advertised 600 lumen.
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:40 am

Hi PiratePete,

We would like to see a pic of how bright the front light is it at 600lm in the dark one day when you can.

Thanks.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:47 pm

To save Pirate Pete, here is a photo of the light straight on.

As you can see, it is quite bright. The banana is for reference.

Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:35 pm

Bunged Knee wrote:Hi PiratePete,

We would like to see a pic of how bright the front light is it at 600lm in the dark one day when you can.

Thanks.
Hmmm, really hard one. Okay I've tried to video the light output but it's extremely difficult for the footage to be objective. I'll try to be descriptive instead...

I currently have three white lights on the front of my bike, my much cherished L&M Taz1200, Fly12, and Fly12CE. To try to be fair I've compared both the Cycliq units with the Taz1200 set to 600 Lumen. However it must be stated that the Taz1200 has three LEDs and the reflectors are shaped to provide not only a forward projecting beam (not round but flatfish), but also a wide pool of light directly in front of the bike. Both the Cycliq cameras have a much more simplistic reflector (more torch like) and only a single LED.

Brightness? Neither the original Fly12 (400 Lumen) nor the new Fly12CE (600 Lumen) are as bright as the Taz1200 on the 600 Lumen setting. This is subjective and could well have something to do with the pool of light rather than be a correct statement regarding the measured brightness.

To be completely honest, at a purely subjective level it felt like the original Fly12 (400 Lumen) provided a 'brighter' light output to the Fly12CE (600 Lumen).

However, the Fly12CE's pool of light showed more of the peripheral area (horizontally) and possibly less forward projection when compared to the original Fly12. The original Fly12 had a brighter spot and less light around the peripherals and I have previously found it to be lacking in lighting up that screw, or chunk of glass your about to run over...

These observations are from a static test in my back yard with the bike about 10m from the fence (sorry to my neighbour for shining bright lights there way).

Taking what I saw, and applying it to my previous experiences with the original Fly12 out on the road, I feel that when descending a hill that I would out ride the Fly12CE. But that said, as my eyes deteriorate with age I've noticed that at speeds above 50kmh I'm tending to put my Taz1200 on 1200 Lumen as I'm finding 600 doesn't cut it at these speeds. I can also state that the original Fly12 at 400 Lumen complements my Taz1200 (at 600 Lumen) nicely as the Fly12 projects light further down the road. I expect that the new Fly12CE will not 'complement' as it's beam is wider.

All up though from a commuter perspective, I feel that at normal cruising speeds around 30kmh that the light output from the Fly12CE will be more practical than that of the original Fly12 as it shows more light around the peripherals.

I'm not a commuter, so I'm happy to carry the camera and a headlight. This is the way I've rolled since before the first beta Fly12 came along. In Winter I ride about 4-5 hours a week in the black, and personally I prefer the better light beam of the L&M light, and even with the upgraded Fly12CE on the bike this isn't going to change my habits. For me the bonus feature of the Fly12 cameras is that they contain a halfway decent light, one with is more than adequate as a redundant light if needed.

If I were a commuter and needed to strip the bike of anything worth stealing... Well the Fly12CE is the unit to have, easy to remove and adequate light to see and be seen.
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:40 am

Some footage to compare the original Fly12 with the new one. Nothing spectacular or special, just a few random bits of my ride yesterday from Brissie to Tweed Heads. Random bits shown are all on the Goldie, but I reframed from publishing the bikinis...

Original Fly12 on left side of handlebar mounted on the standard Cycliq mount, Fly12CE on the right of the stem mounted under a Cycliq Duo-mount (photos on my insta feed). Both cameras at 1080p, old Fly 12 at 45FPS, new 'CE' at 60FPS with EiS enabled.

https://vimeo.com/246564364

Other update from yesterday's adventure is battery run time. I have observed that EiS is a little battery hungry, but as this is an obvious feature to enable I ran with it. I ran without using the light and the camera expired exactly 6h30m after being switched on. From this and other testing I've done, I feel that the camera would just reach the claimed 8 hours without light and EiS disabled at 1080p/60FPS, and from experience last longer at 720p.

Looking at the footage from yesterday, I hunted number plates for about 10 minutes. I got bored as I was able to read every one I viewed. EiS and 60FPS works a treat for number plate capture.
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:41 am

PiratePete wrote:Some footage to compare the original Fly12 with the new one. Nothing spectacular or special, just a few random bits of my ride yesterday from Brissie to Tweed Heads. Random bits shown are all on the Goldie, but I reframed from publishing the bikinis...

Original Fly12 on left side of handlebar mounted on the standard Cycliq mount, Fly12CE on the right of the stem mounted under a Cycliq Duo-mount (photos on my insta feed). Both cameras at 1080p, old Fly 12 at 45FPS, new 'CE' at 60FPS with EiS enabled.

https://vimeo.com/246564364

Other update from yesterday's adventure is battery run time. I have observed that EiS is a little battery hungry, but as this is an obvious feature to enable I ran with it. I ran without using the light and the camera expired exactly 6h30m after being switched on. From this and other testing I've done, I feel that the camera would just reach the claimed 8 hours without light and EiS disabled at 1080p/60FPS, and from experience last longer at 720p.

Looking at the footage from yesterday, I hunted number plates for about 10 minutes. I got bored as I was able to read every one I viewed. EiS and 60FPS works a treat for number plate capture.
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:10 am

G'day PiratePete,

Yeah after watching the video the quality of video from the newer Fly12CE is definately more clearer and less noisier than the original....quite a difference actually!!

Great work PP

Cheers

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:00 pm

The difference in the picture quality is a fair difference, which I would expect with the move from 780p to 1080p.
I did notice a lot more wind noise with the CE though.

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:29 pm

Arbuckle23 wrote:The difference in the picture quality is a fair difference, which I would expect with the move from 780p to 1080p.
I did notice a lot more wind noise with the CE though.
Both are at 1080p. The primary difference is the EiS.
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:09 pm

I am a dill, was thinking of the rear camera specs in my mind :oops:

Still more wind noise than the old one though :)

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:05 pm

Arbuckle23 wrote:I am a dill, was thinking of the rear camera specs in my mind :oops:

Still more wind noise than the old one though :)
I tend to think its because the CE didn't have the noise related to the bike noise so the air noise seems to be more pronounced.
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:23 pm

Looks like Cycliq still can't get its apps to work properly. The app for the Fly 12 was shockingly bad. Now it appears it's the same story for the Fly 6 CE.

Takuan
1 week ago (edited)
Just got the latest version Fly 6. Not very happy with it. The app is erratic. I can't change the sound level anymore. The 'Loading Settings' stays forever and I have to switch off the app and restart it.
The image quality of the camera is poor and the 'on off' switch is awkward to operate. I would not buy Cycliq products again. Way to expensive and poor quality. I have decided to sell it after 12 hours of ownership.

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:12 pm

I do think Cycliq could do better but these new CE versions of their cameras and the improved Android app has got them to a point where they are good in my book. Like I said, could be better, but much improved on previous iterations.
PS I have both CE cameras

li2099

Postby li2099 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:53 pm

Bugger.
Pre-ordered a Fly6CE from Pushys and still waiting for it.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:03 am

I'm going to put my GoPros aside for the next overseas cycling trip, and will be getting some other cameras for my commutes. I was actually considering the Fly cameras, but after reading some of the comments in this thread, I've changed my mind. :(

bianchi928

Postby bianchi928 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:22 pm

Are any users of the Fly12ce having issues with your computer recognising it. Our computer recognised my Fly6 ce no worries. I am still waiting Cycliq to get back to me (I tried the restart etc as per the instruction manual) so any suggestions would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Stand on my dog I cut off your head

caneye

Postby caneye » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:02 pm

Did you try a different USB port or USB cable?

bianchi928

Postby bianchi928 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:03 pm

caneye wrote:Did you try a different USB port or USB cable?
Thanks Caneye, I gave that a crack with no luck.

Ended up buying an external sd reader from Coles for $10 and I can access the contents of the SD card now.

I must say I was pretty impressed with quality of the picture.
Stand on my dog I cut off your head

HyperHorse

Postby HyperHorse » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:45 am

Bunged Knee wrote:Looks good but I`d rather have them with replaceable batteries.
You realise perhaps that alkaline batteries can't deliver the same juice that lithium batteries can?
Time to come to the 21st century.
GT Outpost, Silver, Medium..
Standard except for Serfas Drifters Road tyres..