New Fly6 CE and Fly12 CE Camera's

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

New Fly6 CE and Fly12 CE Camera's

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:09 am

Just announced - and for the benefit here is the full release:
Key things to look out for are the connectability, smaller lighter units plus the rear camera gets 1080p and up to 60fps.

-----

Cycliq have today launched two new additions to their Fly family of integrated bike camera and light devices: the front-facing Fly12 CE (Connected Edition) and rear-facing Fly6 CE. These new models, which will be available from 30 November, are smaller, lighter units, offering an extensive range of new hi-tech road safety features.

The “Connected Edition” feature means that both models have Garmin compatibility via ANT+, as well as Bluetooth connectivity to the Cycliq Plus app. Linking with a Garmin gives the rider more options to utilise the Fly’s functions at a touch of a button, and app connectivity, which is already a feature on the current Fly12, giving the rider easy access to a number of device settings.

With a continued focus on design, both products are lighter and more compact than the originals: at just 195g/5.5oz the Fly12 CE is 49g/3.1oz lighter, while at only 110g/3.5oz the Fly 6 CE is 17g/0.9oz lighter. The new 135° wide angle lens is a step up from the current Fly6 100° field of view and cyclists are clearly visible thanks to the impressive light output (up to 600 Lumen with the Fly12 CE and up to 100 with the Fly6 CE).

HD looping video with audio and automatic incident footage preservation are still key features of the new models. Video quality has not been compromised with the smaller sizes; both models feature high quality 1080p HD video at 60 frames per second (FPS) and a new 6-axis stabilisation recording feature produces even greater footage stability than before.

In addition to the new Fly devices, Cycliq have broadened their accessories range with multiple mounting solutions for all cyclists, including the Duo Mount and Telescopic Mount. These work harmoniously with a new feature of the connected devices - the ⅛ turn Quick Release Mounting System, making it secure, quick and easy to clip the devices on and off the bike. They are also equipped with a built-in bike alarm, which flashes and automatically starts recording any incident, while alerting the user’s smartphone via the app if the bike has been moved or tampered with.

Cycliq have long been an advocate for cycling safety and so developed the ‘HomeSafe’ mode, a feature on both the Fly12 CE and Fly6 CE. This function kicks in if the battery depletes below 5% during operation; the video recording will turn off to save battery power but the light will continue to function for up to 1.5 hours to make sure the rider can get home safely.

Chris Singleton, executive chairman of Cycliq, said: “The success of the current models showed us the demand for an integrated bike camera and light product, and with customer feedback and evolving consumer tech standards, it was the natural progression to develop these new CE versions. Both products are feature-rich; perfect for commuters and road cyclists during both day and night, and for action-seekers after the perfect video from their ride.”

Consumers can register their interest for the new Fly CEs on the dedicated Cycliq web page here.

Key features of the Fly12 CE:
Full 1080p at 60FPS HD video recording with audio
135° wide angle lens
6-axis stabilisation
600 Lumens with various dimming settings and light modes
Up to 8 hours’ battery life, with 2.5-hour fast re-charging
USB-C to charge and connect to PC or laptop
Bluetooth and ANT+ connectivity
Integrated bike alarm
Looping recording
⅛ turn Quick Release Mounting System
HomeSafe mode
Nanotechnology for all weather use
Incident protection technology
MP4 video format that records in 5, 10, and 15 minute segments
195g/5.5oz
SRP: AUS 339 AUS 399 edit: Price corrected by brand

Key features of the Fly6 CE:
Full 1080p at 60FPS HD video recording with audio
135° wide angle lens
6-axis stabilisation
100 Lumens with various dimming settings and light modes
Up to 7 hours’ battery life and 2-hour fast re-charging
Bluetooth and ANT+ connectivity
Integrated bike alarm
Looping recording
⅛ turn Quick Release Mounting System
HomeSafe mode
Nanotechnology for all weather use
Incident protection technology
MP4 video format and records in 5, 10, and 15 minute segments
110g/3.5oz
SRP: AUS 259
Cycling is in my BNA

Ross

Re: New Fly6 CE and Fly12 CE Camera's

Postby Ross » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:17 am

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:45 am

Got me interested.
Had been contemplating purchasing the current models and been procrastinating.
Will procrastinate a little more now and see what the full reviews of these new models say.

tomee

Postby tomee » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:39 am

interesting why they went from 10hrs recording only time of the 1st fly12 to now 8hrs?

edit: nvm just read DC review

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:46 am

Looks good but I`d rather have them with replaceable batteries.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

wicksey

Postby wicksey » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:05 am

Released the same day as the minimum passing law comes into play in Western Australia, and a month out from Xmas.

Hope this sells well for them, my V1 Fly6 is still going strong.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:34 am

Pushies selling the old fly12 for $250!

Warin

Postby Warin » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:42 am

Arbuckle23 wrote:Had been contemplating purchasing the current models and been procrastinating.
Will procrastinate a little more now and see what the full reviews of these new models say.
Or asses any price drop on the old models?
Presently $180 on the old 6 ~$240 on the new
Presently $250 on the old 12 ~$400 on the new {edit new pricing}
Last edited by Warin on Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:13 pm

I have not had the chance to see and test them yet (which is a out of the ordinary as I have beta tested and reviewed every other model to date).

The units appear to be smaller - this will affect battery time. Features such as the connected would also impact power drain though it is uncertain what settings are used for the 8 hours as the light mode and recording resolution also impact it.

Another big change for the units is mounting. The front Fly12 appears to have a Garmin style mount and I have set to see the back of the Fly6 but the velcro appears to be gone.
Cycling is in my BNA

neild

Postby neild » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:29 pm

Only just purchased a new replacement Fly6(v) last week after my version 2 died a little while ago! They offered a very generous discount on a new one as the v2 was way out of warrenty. Now I know why, shifting old stock.

Oh well, I did get it for half the price of the new CE so shouldn't be too upset. Though I do like the idea of smaller size and updated mount I probably wouldn't have bought the CE at it's current price anyway. Would have procrastinated waiting for a deal eventually.

One a side note, I'll be offering my v2 for free on the market place soon if anyone feels comfortable enough in trying to fix.
Norco VFR1 Disc, Merida 903, Mofo Single Speed, Giant MTB, soon to be vintage Gazelle fixie

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:12 pm

Fly12CE suggested retail pricing has been edited. Originally announced at 339AUD and corrected to 399AUD.
Cycling is in my BNA

li2099

Postby li2099 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:43 pm

I wonder if the new Fly6 will offer clearer videos when riding at night.
The older model was almost completely useless at night and this is in normal lit suburbia.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:20 pm

All video camera's in this category struggle at night. Perhaps the latest GoPro with the top settings can give you the best chance but you are dealing with extremes, a camera trying to decipher the darkness while also dealing which lights of oncoming traffic and the light reflecting from number plates.

Going from 720p to 1080p is a good step for the rear camera and has been an ongoing sore-point, even though the fly6 and fly12 are not so much action cams as they are safety cams.

The increased resolution will help but in the release there is no further discussion about the video quality with regarding to processing. Both the hardware and software influence this and it is a question I will ask. They still have the MP4 format which is not my favourite.

In summarising, I don't think that you could expect an amazing leap in quality for night time video recording. A practical tip if you observe a motorist passing too closely or being naughty is to loudly say the numberplate name so that it is picked up by the audio. In worst case, the video still gives you a few basic indications that can help identify a vehicles make, model and colour.
Cycling is in my BNA

li2099

Postby li2099 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:55 am

Yes I get that.
In low light, unless you have a bright light source, you'll never capture anything in detail and in this case, the number plate of any offending vehicle.
I still use my Fly6 and Fly12 daily day/ night regardless. No regrets buying them at full price and no regrets that new models are out to replace them at similar prices.
Still can't feel but a little underwhelmed with no 4K. Only 1080 resolution.
Sure 4K will mean huge video files and drop in battery life but to capture any important footage in as best detail as possible is always preferred.
Just like in Rainmaker's review, even shooting in 4K then having the camera cheating it by cropping to produce a stable image is much better.
Every time when I need to check a video from my Fly6/ Fly12, it always seems to be quite shaky when viewing the actual video. A bit like the "Blair Witch Project" kind of video.
On a plus, now it seems to have a quarter twist mount and a suggestion that a saddle rail extended mount is also quite possible.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:26 pm

AUbicycles wrote:A practical tip if you observe a motorist passing too closely or being naughty is to loudly say the numberplate name so that it is picked up by the audio. In worst case, the video still gives you a few basic indications that can help identify a vehicles make, model and colour.
This was enough, along with a few other identifying features caught by the vid, to get my second close passing driver successfully issued with a traffic infringement notice and a financial incentive to avoid doing it again.

In addition to the rego number I also call out the time of day off the GPS as the camera clocks tend to drift unless reset every few weeks, which I am bad at doing.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:43 am

trailgumby wrote:
AUbicycles wrote:A practical tip if you observe a motorist passing too closely or being naughty is to loudly say the numberplate name so that it is picked up by the audio. In worst case, the video still gives you a few basic indications that can help identify a vehicles make, model and colour.
This was enough, along with a few other identifying features caught by the vid, to get my second close passing driver successfully issued with a traffic infringement notice and a financial incentive to avoid doing it again.

In addition to the rego number I also call out the time of day off the GPS as the camera clocks tend to drift unless reset every few weeks, which I am bad at doing.
The time drift is a pain. If you occasionally use the cycliq app at least it sets the clock on the Fly12. I presume this will be one of the fixes in the new ones - to get the time from the garmin or app.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:25 pm

Pushys currently have the old Fly6 and Fly 12 for $379 https://www.pushys.com.au/cycliq-fly6-a ... combo.html

Was looking I buying the pair as a present to myself, then saw the CE models and that went on hold. Pushys offer was to go to refuse. (seeing I already the old school mounts)

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:02 pm

Cycliq have also changed strategy moving away from distributers and to dealing direct - including in Australia. This affects the stock on the market and pricing - for example if it is rest-stock and the intention is to clear and move on.

For direct sales, the large international online bike shops play a big role. I havn't yet heard about the strategy or status-quo with Australian retailers (online / offline) but can ask.
Cycling is in my BNA

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:25 pm

If they had an option to mount differently for the rear. I would buy again. If the road is wet. Forget about getting a clear rear image.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:29 pm

BianchiCam wrote:If they had an option to mount differently for the rear. I would buy again. If the road is wet. Forget about getting a clear rear image.
I can't imagine how they could get around that? You could possibly fit mudguards?

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:29 pm

Comedian wrote:
BianchiCam wrote:If they had an option to mount differently for the rear. I would buy again. If the road is wet. Forget about getting a clear rear image.
I can't imagine how they could get around that? You could possibly fit mudguards?

I did manage to knock up an inverted fly6 on a seat stay. Lasted quite a long time till one day it came off. Never found.
Now I use a drift stealth attached to bottom of the drops

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:01 pm

Comedian wrote:
Works for me!
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:04 pm

I haven't been involved with the development of these new ones, but have just received the Fly12 CE to have a play with. The LEDs are on the sides at the back. I'm hoping to take it for a ride tomorrow so will report back as to the visibility. I have mounted it under a Duo-mount with my Wahoo ELEMNT above, size wise they share a similar foot print so it will be interesting to see. Also a bit like the first prototype of the original Fly12, I suspect the LEDs may not be bright enough for sunny conditions but lets wait and see.

The 1/8th turn mount will suit the commuter but I worry that this will induce image issues a bit like what was demonstrated by DCR. Convenient but there is movement. The Go_Pro style adapter for it (possibly a Beta unit) doesn't lock into my Duo-mount, even with the screw at full hand tight the unit can still be easily bumped changing the angle.

I'll evaluate better after a ride, and of course me being me, will be running with a Fly12 at the same time to compare.

I understand that a Fly6 CE will also find its way to me for evaluation, it too has a 1/8th turn to join it to it's mount which sounds great for the commuter, if it's stable. Stay tuned.
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:29 pm

Look forward to hearing your views.

For the current Fly12, let us know which mount you have and if you have anything for damping. I was using the aluminium. GoBig and a thin strip of tyre. Because it was so tight, the rubber was more about frame protection because any real movement or vibration would not be good.
Cycling is in my BNA

tomee

Postby tomee » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:19 am

just got the email for pre order this morning
$399 for the FLY12 CE

I might wait to see if any of the UK retailers will have it cheaper like the original FLY12