Netti shorts review?

Isaac199

Netti shorts review?

Postby Isaac199 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:59 pm

Hey there, I'm looking for a pair of decently priced cycling shorts, just something simple, and have decided that I might give the Netti Pro Nix a shot. However, there doesn't seem to be a single review of them online, are they that bad :shock: ? If anyone has any opinion on them, I would love to hear them :D

Also would like suggestions for any other shorts I should consider (or bibs, although they are pricey). Thanks!!

Arbuckle23

Re: Netti shorts review?

Postby Arbuckle23 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:18 pm

I first started with Netti shorts. They were OK for rides up to 25km, then I found the chamois a little thin.
I moved up a level with Craft shorts (thicker chamois), found them better and after a while bought my first bibs (Craft).
Will never go back to shorts as bibs are so much better to wear, everything sits in the right place and there is no waistband to dig into you.

My last purchase was Rapha Classic bibs and these are my go to for longer rides now. Heaven for my nether regions :)

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:18 pm

I bought 2 pairs of Netti Pro nix about 8 years ago.
The padding is not very thick but the pad material in contact with skin is nice and soft.
The lycra outlasted shorts two or three times the price.
They are a fairly basic short perfectly adequate for a couple of hours in the saddle, but nowhere near as comfortable on long rides as dearer models.
I've never worn bibs. Never felt the need.
Always been happy with Pearl Izumi Attack shorts. More dense padding than the Nettis. I'm not sure they're available any more. The newer model is called Attack Pursuit and I'm not sure they are the same as the older ones. I have a stash of 5 pairs.
Also been happy with higher end Louis Garneaux shorts on special at times from Pushys. The lycra is much better quality than PI. with a good thick and dense pad.
I've also been pleased with Endura Gel pad shorts. If they're still available they were very reasonably priced at around $50 (some years ago) and lasted quite a while.
I think it's nuts paying several hundreds of dollars on bike shorts or bibs. There are equally as comfortable and durable available at much better prices.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:31 pm

Tim wrote:undreds of dollars on bike shorts or bibs. There are equally as comfortable and durable available at much better prices.
I'd second that. The dhb ASV Pro bibs I bought a few years ago at less than $100 per pair are still serving me well. I ended up buying four sets.

However, like other posters I will never go back to shorts. Even when I'm wearing baggies on the mountain bike, I have bibs underneath. I too once thought they were unnecessary... :lol:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:35 pm

Isaac199 wrote:Hey there, I'm looking for a pair of decently priced cycling shorts, just something simple, and have decided that I might give the Netti Pro Nix a shot. However, there doesn't seem to be a single review of them online, are they that bad :shock: ? If anyone has any opinion on them, I would love to hear them :D

Also would like suggestions for any other shorts I should consider (or bibs, although they are pricey). Thanks!!
Tried them once, but never again.

The best I've found is Cuore. Surprisingly Mavic isn't bad either. Riding in Europe day after day pretty much with 3 or 4 mountains each day, I pretty much wore just Cuore or Mavic. No problems, they were comfortable to wear. Those aren't shorts though, they are bibs.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:18 pm

Tim wrote:I've never worn bibs. Never felt the need.
Then you need a challenge - the next time you need new shorts, go for bib knicks and the challenge is to wear them for a few months. At the end of it you have to report back and let me know what you think of bibs knicks and whether you will ever go back to the basic ones again.

And a hot tip.... just for you... it is no longer fashionable to tuck your cycling jersey into your shorts.

Cycling is in my BNA

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:38 pm

Another for DHB ASV. Pretty damn good regardless of the price and the price is good :)
Have never worn shorts from the time I got bibs.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:11 am

AUbicycles wrote:Then you need a challenge - the next time you need new shorts, go for bib knicks and the challenge is to wear them for a few months. At the end of it you have to report back and let me know what you think of bibs knicks and whether you will ever go back to the basic ones again.

And a hot tip.... just for you... it is no longer fashionable to tuck your cycling jersey into your shorts.
Challenge accepted.
As I get older holding my pants up gets harder.
Maybe bibs are a good idea. :D

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:10 pm

My 1st Nicks were Netti, they didn't last well, chamois stitching came undone. Next were DHB (Wiggle brand) which have lasted extremey well and are much more comfortable on the rod bike as the waist is cut lower at the front. I have done up to around 100 km rides in them and still been very comfortable. I don't know the model, label says Fieldsensor fabric 69% Polyamide 16%polyester 15% elastane, each seem has 4 lines of visible stitching and the leg grippers are 45 mm wide. From memory, it was one of their better pads but seems only average thickness to me. Anyway, I have had them several years and they are still going strong. Typically, DHB appear to be very good value for money IMO, just don't get the cheapest range.

Ken

Isaac199

Postby Isaac199 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:00 pm

Hey there! Appreciate the responses :D so after reading through the replies, Ive decided to stay away from the Netti and probably will end up going with the dhb collection, because of everyone's praise. The ASV seems a bit on the pricey side, so I might go with the dhb Blok bolt from c r c, just hate to pay shipping... anyone has any opinion on any shops in Melbourne I should check out, as the shipping fee plus bibs will add up to $60 ish, and might be better spent on the shops?

Tbh, I dun understand it when anyone talks about some chamois being thin. This being my first pair of dedicated cycling shorts, Ive been riding with a rather form fitting shorts from Kathmandu without any padding, and have done even a 250km ride without any problem :lol:

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:48 pm

Isaac199 wrote:Tbh, I dun understand it when anyone talks about some chamois being thin.
It is very individual - depends on body shape, weight, riding position, style, riding distances and the saddle. And to make it more interesting, at the start of a ride for the first 40 - 50km a certain chamois may be comfortable but after 100km you prefer something else.

Typically new riders may opt for a thicker chamois because it is assumed that a thicker chamois is more comfortable... sometimes it is, but sometimes a thinner one is better.... or a different style.

In practice, you may have to try a few different pairs of knicks / chamois to find the ones which work the best.
Cycling is in my BNA

Isaac199

Postby Isaac199 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:21 pm

AUbicycles wrote:
Isaac199 wrote:Tbh, I dun understand it when anyone talks about some chamois being thin.
It is very individual - depends on body shape, weight, riding position, style, riding distances and the saddle. And to make it more interesting, at the start of a ride for the first 40 - 50km a certain chamois may be comfortable but after 100km you prefer something else.
Yep, I definitely see how that can be the case.