Thinner tyres on my hybrid

Dudeman

Thinner tyres on my hybrid

Postby Dudeman » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:43 pm

Hi all,

I've been commuting on my new road bike which is great, but I only ride to work on dry days. Ive decided to commute in bad weather but use my Giant Roam 0. I rode it today and it just feels slow after riding my road bike so I was hoping to make it a bit quicker with thinner tyres.

It currently has 700c x 38 tyres, my questions are, can I fit a 32/30/28mm tyre on these rims (622x19) and how much different will it actuall make with 6-10mm thinner?

I will mainly ride it in the wet so I'm not sure what sort of tread I should have, just go slicks still?

Any advice appreciated

10speedsemiracer

Re: Thinner tyres on my hybrid

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:12 pm

There may be a faster rolling tyre in 38mm than what you have fitted. What do you have on there now?
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:16 pm

The Schwalbe Marathons seem to be fairly fast-rolling for what they are..although I think there are 3-4 different incarnations of this tyre, and not all roll the same, apparently.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:30 pm

Thinner tyres won't make you faster. Yes you can almost certainly get faster rolling tyres, but the difference in overall drag is likely to be insignificant. Certainly less than the drag of wearing a rain jacket. The riding position on a hybrid is simply not conducive to riding fast.

Why would you want to go faster in the wet?

My alternate commuter might be described as a hybrid, it is not as fast as my regular commuter, but I enjoy the days that I ride it to work. It is amazing what a difference there is in taking 5 extra minutes each way.

Cheers,

Cameron

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:35 pm

I put 23mm tyres on a giant roam that came with heavy 40mm tyres. They are a bit narrow, but it’s what I had on hand. I think the rims are 19mm. I’ve since switched the frame out so it looks like a proper fast flat bar. I had the skinny tyres on the roam for a few kms and it looked a bit weird.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:56 pm

Dudeman wrote: I rode it today and it just feels slow after riding my road bike
Well, putting skinny tyres on will make it feel faster, due to the harsher ride. But, if all other things are equal, it won't be usefully faster.

However the stock tyres probably are pretty slow due to (unnecessary) tread and stiff sidewalls. Good tyres are available in large sizes (e.g. Grand bois, Compass, then Panaracer & Conti. And Schwalbe get a lot of love at the heavier end of the spectrum).

There's no need to compromise comfort .
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:47 pm

Dudeman wrote:Hi all,

I've been commuting on my new road bike which is great, but I only ride to work on dry days. Ive decided to commute in bad weather but use my Giant Roam 0. I rode it today and it just feels slow after riding my road bike so I was hoping to make it a bit quicker with thinner tyres.

It currently has 700c x 38 tyres, my questions are, can I fit a 32/30/28mm tyre on these rims (622x19) and how much different will it actuall make with 6-10mm thinner?

I will mainly ride it in the wet so I'm not sure what sort of tread I should have, just go slicks still?

Any advice appreciated
Unlike car tyres, bike tyres aren't wide enough to require tread to disperse water to avoid hydroplaning. For on-road use, stick with slicks. Tread is only necessary for mud/gravel.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:02 am

a quick google seemed to show a giant roam 0 to have a front shock.

that can make you feel like your going slower as well.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:47 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:The Schwalbe Marathons seem to be fairly fast-rolling for what they are..although I think there are 3-4 different incarnations of this tyre, and not all roll the same, apparently.
This is true. I went from regular Marathons to Marathon Supreme, both in 28s. Night and day. Smoother, faster.

I would say go a little narrower (eg 32), and unless you need tread to deal with gravel/dirt, go as slick as possible.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:40 am

The main reason to go narrower, would be if the space is required in order to fit mudguards.

Cheers,

Cameron