What do you wash your cycling shirtx:bibs in?

enduro2

What do you wash your cycling shirtx:bibs in?

Postby enduro2 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:36 am

We have some Marthas Eucalyptus wash here and it was recommended as it doesn't have some of the additives other commercial detergents have. Seems to do a good job.

I also nkrmally put the clothes in mesh wash bags to help protesct them from I don't know what.

What to the other peeps use to wash your cycle clothes in and how/ why?

jaythefordman

Re: What do you wash your cycling shirtx:bibs in?

Postby jaythefordman » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:11 am

I rock chinese sources Bibs/knicks, and they just go in a cool wash in the machine, sometimes delicate, with sensitive detergent. they hold up just fine, but no big deal for the $40 I spend on the set :)

Jawa

Postby Jawa » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:11 am

Depends, the newer stuff goes in the wash bag then hanged out to dry. The older crappy stuff I might use on the trainer or the in the rain just gets checked in the wash and dryer with everything else .. no, they dont shrink.

I ride DHB clothing. If my kit was Rapha, Morvelo etc I might probably take more care

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:11 am

Almost all of my bibs are dhb. They all go in the regular wash cycle with everything else. Have been doing that for years and theyre still going strong :)
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:21 am

I ended up with a small bottle of the Assos detergent and tried that. Yeah, it does work quite well and leaves your cycling kit smelling pretty decent too. But it is far too expensive!

My cycling kit is Mavic/Cuore/Attaquer/Rapha, so some of it is fairly expensive.

Neddysmith

Postby Neddysmith » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:31 am

I dont do anything special, just chuck my gear in with everything else and so far (6mths) havent had any issues.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:38 am

You are not washing lace knickers. Just put it them the normal wash.

My Assos bibs and Ground Effect merino jerseys have survived many cycles through commercial washers and dryers whilst on tour.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

grimbo

Postby grimbo » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:40 am

I used to chuck my stuff in with the regular wash with Omo, but I think it was the cause of some bleaching-like stains on some of my nicks.

Now that I have a bit of merino stuff, I use a wool wash and wool or delicate cycle for all my bike stuff. I also zip up my jerseys and turn them inside out - that is supposed to stop the zips from snagging other jerseys during the wash.

Wool wash/cycle seems to wash just as well, and I reckon smells nicer. Might be my imagination.
"If I can bicycle, I bicycle" ~David Attenborough

silentC

Postby silentC » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:43 am

I don't know. I put them in the magic laundry basket and they come back clean.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

Patt0

Postby Patt0 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:56 am

Bags are to stop straps getting caught on agitator, over stretched and then broken.

OnTrackZeD

Postby OnTrackZeD » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:00 am

silentC wrote:I don't know. I put them in the magic laundry basket and they come back clean.
I love it but I give mine a hand wash once or twice then into the wash inside a laundry bag. Dry them in the shade and never in a dryer as dryer heat seems to eventually make them loose or baggy.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:07 am

I wash them on a delicate cycle - usually with my and my wife's "office" clothes, just using Radiant liquid laundry detergent. I usually hang them to dry in the garage so that they are not in the sun.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:35 am

RonK wrote:You are not washing lace knickers. Just put it them the normal wash.

My Assos bibs and Ground Effect merino jerseys have survived many cycles through commercial washers and dryers whilst on tour.
You can just hand wash your cycling gear and hang it up and dry it quite easily. No commercial washers or dryers needed. Cheaper. That's what I do. I'd rotate through a couple of pairs of cycling kit.

Back here, I just use a fast wash and keep them in a wash bag so they don't catch on anything in the washing machine).

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:07 am

standard wash with all my other clothes. Assos bib knicks and dhb jerseys. The assos knicks came with a bag but it doesnt have a proper closing and its really small :? . I think one of my DHB jersey also came with a bag.

I have a really lightweight jersey I will wash in a bag.

I put all velcro stuff in a bag to stop it velcro-ing other clothes.

Also I have a front loader which is easier on clothes than the top loaders

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:32 am

g-boaf wrote:

You can just hand wash your cycling gear and hang it up and dry it quite easily. No commercial washers or dryers needed. Cheaper. That's what I do. I'd rotate through a couple of pairs of cycling kit.
This is rarely a practical option while I'm touring, which is usually spring or autumn. The last thing I want to do on a cool morning is to put on gear which did not dry overnight.

And why would I bother if there is a washing machine and dryer handy?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:37 am

RonK wrote:
g-boaf wrote:

This is rarely a practical option while I'm touring, which is usually spring or autumn. The last thing I want to do on a cool morning is to put on gear which did not dry overnight.

You might not always have those nearby. And that's why you have a couple of pairs of cycling kit to get around the drying time.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:39 am

g-boaf wrote:
RonK wrote:
g-boaf wrote:

You might not always have those nearby. And that's why you have a couple of pairs of cycling kit to get around the drying time.
I take three sets when touring, two sets when bikepacking. That doesn't change anything. It's not unusual to have worn all my gear several times between laundry opportunities.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:56 pm

I just put mine in the freezer.

kb

Postby kb » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:46 pm

P!N20 wrote:I just put mine in the freezer.
I take it you don’t ride in the rain :)

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:27 pm

I hand wash my lace knickers :D

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:48 pm

Derny! :shock: :lol:

I find the normal cold water detergents knock the stuffing out of the chamois insert. The "enzymes" just seem to kill them.

I tend to use wool wash, normal cycle and throw in a capful of Dettol. We have a front loader, if that makes any difference.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:58 pm

Straight in the front loader with everything else. We wash everything together on COLD or WARM Normal wash. The only time they get a hand wash is on trips/tours ! :D

I have at least 6-8 jerseys on frequent rotation plus 4-5 bibnicks so nothing is ever worn/washed more than once every 10 days or so.

They last for ages in respectable condition. I've only ever had to throw out (or relegate to home trainer use only) maybe maybe 3 bibnicks in 7 years of riding.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"