Cyclist throws driver's keys into bush in Tremont

gtext

Cyclist throws driver's keys into bush in Tremont

Postby gtext » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:47 am

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/road- ... 03jn9.html

Hardly a case of road rage. Something missing here leading up to this. Only the cyclist knows the full story.

3aw cyclist bashing before having the full story.

Motorist stranded by the roadside. Sob sob sob.

OnTrackZeD

Re: Cyclist throws driver's keys into bush in Tremont

Postby OnTrackZeD » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:59 am

Yea what did the driver do to deserve this, just waiting on the side of the road with there window open for no reason when they had to pick up there mother from hospital.

djw47

Postby djw47 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:16 am

Whatever the reason for doing it, the cyclist in this story is a complete idiot. I live in the Dandenongs and many of the locals will take little persuasion that this is just typical "cyclist" behaviour - there are idiots in cars who drive dangerously, we all know that, but wilfully doing something like what that idiot did benefits nobody, all it does is reinforce stereotypes about cyclists and give the media an excuse to publish negative stories.

andrewjcw

Postby andrewjcw » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:45 am

Well, yeah. But people sometimes do irrational things when they come close to being killed or maimed.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:17 am

It's happened in Sydney before, with a driver going into a road rage fit and threatening the cyclist, who has taken advantage of the motorist now out of his car and chasing him by grabbing the keys from the ignition and throwing them over the bridge and into the river.

We only have the story of the "poor innocent motorist" who was "minding her own business" when a cyclist just randomly grabbed her keys for no reason and tossed them away.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '15 Cervelo S5

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:26 am

andrewjcw wrote:Well, yeah. But people sometimes do irrational things when they come close to being killed or maimed.

This ^ ... and this:
queequeg wrote:We only have the story of the "poor innocent motorist" who was "minding her own business" when a cyclist just randomly grabbed her keys for no reason and tossed them away.

I can't imagine any cyclist doing that for no reason. Why was the driver stopped? Wanted to give the cyclist and earful for riding on the roads and forcing her to close pass him?
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:34 am

bychosis wrote:
queequeg wrote:We only have the story of the "poor innocent motorist" who was "minding her own business" when a cyclist just randomly grabbed her keys for no reason and tossed them away.

I can't imagine any cyclist doing that for no reason. Why was the driver stopped? Wanted to give the cyclist and earful for riding on the roads and forcing her to close pass him?

Yes, that's entirely the point, but because the cyclist didn't stick around, we only know what the motorists chooses to reveal about what really happened. The rider who did a similar thing in Sydney was never found, but by tossing the keys it stopped the motorist chasing them in the car. I'd say that was the sanest thing he could have done, and I have been tempted to do it a few times myself, to protect other road users from a maniac.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '15 Cervelo S5

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:53 am

djw47 wrote:Whatever the reason for doing it, the cyclist in this story is a complete idiot. I live in the Dandenongs and many of the locals will take little persuasion that this is just typical "cyclist" behaviour - there are idiots in cars who drive dangerously, we all know that, but wilfully doing something like what that idiot did benefits nobody, all it does is reinforce stereotypes about cyclists and give the media an excuse to publish negative stories.

Oh I'm sure the driver is perfectly innocent, right... No rider just goes and does something like this without a very good reason - usually someone just tried to kill the rider by a deliberate close pass or something else dangerous.

It's a key, it's a temporary inconvenience. When a motorist does something to us, the results may well be permanent - ie, permanently dead.

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:29 am

No one really knows what happened, so probably best not to assume that the cyclist is an innocent party, or that the motorist is either.

I've seen plenty of cyclist do really stupid things then blame the nearest car, ped, or other cyclist for their own inabilities or lack of common sense.

And once a story has the words "Lycra-clad" or "Clad in lycra", I stop reading right there, knowing it will bear no reflection of the truth whatsoever.

Kev.

wicksey

Postby wicksey » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:35 am

I've thought about doing it before.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:07 pm

The Age wrote:The male cyclist, clad in orange, red and yellow Lycra, was unhappy with the woman's driving when he stopped near her car on Mount Dandenong Tourist Road in Tremont, police said.

It's important to note that he was a MAMIL. They're pretty dangerous.

It is possible that the driver may have been, ah, preoccupied, with other matters
The Age wrote:The driver had a special needs child in the car with her and was on her way to collect her mother from hospital
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Mozziediver

Postby Mozziediver » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:08 pm

I've experienced some unexpected aggro from Roadie types as I was walking across the road outside home (couple of times in the last month, never in the last 10 years). And yes, I checked for traffic, because the Moto Boyos also like to use it as a race track.
As far as I can figure, they are ticked off that they had to brake a little - coming round a clearly labelled blind corner - because they want maximum speed from this down hill stretch.
But do they use their bells? No.
Point? There's a percentage of d*head cyclists out there, and it's hard to imagine that tossing car keys down hill into the scrub is either appropriate or proportionate.
Moz
------------
Surly LHT, '74 Raleigh 20 folder.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:13 pm

queequeg wrote:It's happened in Sydney before, with a driver going into a road rage fit and threatening the cyclist, who has taken advantage of the motorist now out of his car and chasing him by grabbing the keys from the ignition and throwing them over the bridge and into the river.

We only have the story of the "poor innocent motorist" who was "minding her own business" when a cyclist just randomly grabbed her keys for no reason and tossed them away.

Was this the one at the Spit? That went real quiet, real fast after the first report.

Jim

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:14 pm

The scary thing is that she stated, in a radio soundbite, that she had no idea where the cyclist came from, he just appeared at her car door.
I hear that as "I was extremely distracted and had no idea what was going on around me".

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:17 pm

Thoglette wrote:
The Age wrote:The male cyclist, clad in orange, red and yellow Lycra, was unhappy with the woman's driving when he stopped near her car on Mount Dandenong Tourist Road in Tremont, police said.

It's important to note that he was a MAMIL. They're pretty dangerous.

It is possible that the driver may have been, ah, preoccupied, with other matters
The Age wrote:The driver had a special needs child in the car with her and was on her way to collect her mother from hospital

Apart from the article being extremely one-sided, since the cyclist hasn't presented his own version of events, there's no mention in the article about the cyclist being middle-aged, so why use the term MAMIL (even in jest)?

Tim

Postby Tim » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:45 pm

There's a clue as to what happened in the soundbite above.
At 1.40 she says words to the effect of " ...every other cyclist sticks close to the shoulder, on the left, on that road. Why was he on my inside?"
I think she overtook the cyclist on his left.
No wonder he cracked it.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:03 pm

familyguy wrote:
queequeg wrote:It's happened in Sydney before, with a driver going into a road rage fit and threatening the cyclist, who has taken advantage of the motorist now out of his car and chasing him by grabbing the keys from the ignition and throwing them over the bridge and into the river.

Was this the one at the Spit? That went real quiet, real fast after the first report.

Jim

The one I am thinking of was on the Silverwater Bridge over the Parramatta River...but similar circumstances to the one at the Spit.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:13 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote:so why use the term MAMIL ?

Because I am one. (I do note that the age of the rider was not mentioned.)

Cyclophiliac wrote:(even in jest)

It was not in jest: the wording of the article was deliberately (if unconciously) chosen to minimise the chance of any reader considering the cyclist as being "a normal person" or having a point of view worthy of consideration.

I do concur with other posters that there is a group of people who ride bikes as if they are competitors in a UCI world tour race. And thus entitled to ignore the road rules and treat all other road users with contempt.

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:19 pm

If you listen to the very beginning of the soundbite, the driver says:

He hit the car several times, so I’m unsure whether or not I came close to hitting him or… had touched him - I didn’t know, which is why I actually pulled over to find out what the problem was, and to make sure he was ok.

Yet the driver is painted as the victim here:
"It would have been quite scary for the driver," Sergeant Mosdall told radio station 3AW. "[It was] quite a terrible situation for her. He just took off and ... he left her on a a fairly bad part of the road. To do that and leave people stranded on a dangerous part of the road is not good enough.”

As g-boaf said "It's a key, it's a temporary inconvenience. When a motorist does something to us, the results may well be permanent - ie, permanently dead."
When will our car centric society realise that there is no equivalence between being struck by someone's car vs being held up a little on your journey

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:22 pm

Thoglette wrote:It is possible that the driver may have been, ah, preoccupied, with other matters

Jeez....I didn't even know that when I posted in the MM thread, didn't see this one. I almost feel bad....but not enough. Travelling with any "special needs" person can be hazardous to all. It really needs careful consideration of what is "necessary", and the means to cope.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:37 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Cyclophiliac wrote:so why use the term MAMIL ?

Because I am one. (I do note that the age of the rider was not mentioned.)

Cyclophiliac wrote:(even in jest)

It was not in jest: the wording of the article was deliberately (if unconciously) chosen to minimise the chance of any reader considering the cyclist as being "a normal person" or having a point of view worthy of consideration.

I do concur with other posters that there is a group of people who ride bikes as if they are competitors in a UCI world tour race. And thus entitled to ignore the road rules and treat all other road users with contempt.

The article never mentioned the cyclist was a MAMIL. You just made that assumption, by saying "It's important to note he was a MAMIL". Or were you referring to yourself in the 3rd person?

Tim

Postby Tim » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:39 pm

Here's what I think happened, based on the drivers explanation ie. "every other cyclist sticks to the left, so why didn't he?";
The cyclist was descending the Mt Dandenong Rd, approaching the Devils Elbow at high speed. The fastest I've ever ridden was 86kph down that road.
The cyclist has taken the most direct line through the hairpin bend, cutting across to the centre of the road at the apex of the bend.
Madame, sick kid, sick mother, butter wouldn't melt in my mouth has impatiently pushed past the cyclist on his inside/left hand side through the bend.
Speculation yes, but her own words give her away, to my mind.
It doesn't excuse his reaction but it just might explain it.
Again, listen to the soundbite at 1.40 in the Age article
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/road-rage-at-devils-elbow-cyclist-throws-drivers-keys-into-bush-20171212-h03jn9.html
Last edited by Tim on Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:46 pm

Thoglette wrote:I do concur with other posters that there is a group of people who ride bikes as if they are competitors in a UCI world tour race. And thus entitled to ignore the road rules and treat all other road users with contempt.

Speak for yourself. I obey the road rules. You can also ride a bike very quickly and still obey the road rules.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:52 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Thoglette wrote:I do concur with other posters that there is a group of people who ride bikes as if they are competitors in a UCI world tour race. And thus entitled to ignore the road rules and treat all other road users with contempt.

Speak for yourself. I obey the road rules. You can also ride a bike very quickly and still obey the road rules.

Go easy, he didn't mention you. "a group" is what, he's right and what's more you know it. So why get upset and make a point?

There's "a group" of cyclists who like to make a living delivering food that you seem to have issues with and post about. What's the diff?

Sheeshh...either we get it that there's all types out there and accept it, or just go out for another ride. I've been taking that advice a lot lately. Guess who gave it out, gratis?

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:54 pm

g-boaf wrote:Speak for yourself. I obey the road rules. You can also ride a bike very quickly and still obey the road rules.

G - that's what I said and meant. But in hindsight "are competing" would have been clearer.

There is a difference between obeying the road rules while riding quickly and being a UCI-hoon (and thinking that you're fast).
Last edited by Thoglette on Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.