Riding an E-Bike Over 200w in Victoria

FloatingLeaf

Riding an E-Bike Over 200w in Victoria

Postby FloatingLeaf » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:29 pm

Hey everyone, thank you for reading and helping me out :)
I decided that I needed some form of motorized transport as relying on lifts etc was getting to be a hassle. Im a 17 year old kid living in Victoria and am interested in building an E-Bike that is around 1000w. I believe the legal limit is 200w but that is simply not even worth it and I am wondering what sort of trouble i could get into if i rode one to work and back on the regular. I don't live in an area where there are points in which ill really ever be on the road for long at all. I do not want to be a hassle to anyone, just want to have a mode of transport that is more powerful than a regular bike (Its very hilly).

So the main questions are
- How much trouble will i get in if caught riding a 1000w e-bike around town?
- Are there any more legal alternatives?

Thank you so much for your time! :D

singlespeedscott

Re: Riding an E-Bike Over 200w in Victoria

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:09 pm

An 200w ebike will easily do 25km/hr with little effort. Why would you need more?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:12 pm

Here's a simple question - what do you call a two wheeled vehicle with a 1000W electric motor ? A motorbike

A motorbike must meet Australian design rules, be registered & the rider licensed & wearing a motorbike helmet.

The fines for riding one one the road will depend on how much of the book the officer decides to throw at you. There are cases where the person has been fined for
  • riding an unregistered vehicle
  • riding an unroadworthy vehicle - doesn't meet the requirements to be registered
  • No rider's licence
  • No motorbike helmet
Last I checked those fines came to about $2,000 in NSW. I am not sure what they are in Victoria.

The legal alternatives are sold as electric motorbikes

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:28 pm

So you'd want to be a law breaker by using 1,000 watt e-bike and asks anyone for help. :shock:

Sorry, I won't help you but get the legal e-bike on the market.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:35 pm

You are 17 and presumably therefore young and healthy and fit. I can't see any need for you to have a ebike with 1000w of power. A perfectly legal one will be just fine, and then you don't need to worry about any dodgy stuff.

If you want more power, go and get your motorcycle licence and buy a motorbike.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '15 Cervelo S5

spannermonkey

Postby spannermonkey » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:52 pm

There's better ways to kill yourself
Like old age
I know a guy with a motorised skateboard (AT) 35hp and pro skaters want go near it
I could help you but not going to

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:31 pm

FloatingLeaf wrote:Im a 17 year old kid living in Victoria and am interested in building an E-Bike that is around 1000w.

How about go try out an ebike first.

I've ridden a few ebikes this year and when the time came to build I got a 350W pas (road legal due to continuous power rating). This was after I tried, 250w cranks sensing with throttle, 500W crank sensing with throttle, shimano steps 250W (this one was really fast and felt like a lot more power than the one double it's power), bionx 250W (this is the best system by far but expensive) and 250w pas.

Power figures are not all equal and they deliver power in different ways. Ride a few, but I would agree, you will not need 1000w and if you do, chances are you will be spotted a mile away. It's easy to spot the guy barely pedaling and going really fast. Hill make this even more obvious.
Fast light bike
Cushy dirt bike
Workhorse bike
No brakes bike
Ebike :)

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:01 pm

If its hills that are the issue then get a 250 power assisted bicycle and the job is done. If it is speed you are after and don't mind putting some of your own effort in get a 200W throttle.

But really how fast are you wanting to go? 1000W should get you about 50kph or more which sounds too fast if as you say your are not riding on the roads.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:50 pm

I am not certain if the OP knows that the legal ebikes are all pedal assist. You have to pedal and you get assistance with this and assistance cuts out at 25kmh.

Most have boost function which give you good acceleration and speed, I suggest test riding to get a feel before making your own.

Higher powered bikes have problems with legality, essentially can’t be used on public roads and I expect you would cop a fine and potentially points off your drivers licence if you have one (and even if your activity is technically not associated.

diventare

Postby diventare » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:47 am

I see a rider on a Stealth ebike on Canning street Carlton (innermost suburbia for those unfamiliar) often during my commute. These things are somewhere in the vicinity of 3 to 5 kw and he passes us unpowered riders going very quickly.
I thought he was on borrowed time with the law when I first saw him, but that was 3 years ago and he's still at it!
So based on that observation, I'd say you're likely to get away with 1kw.
I do however suggest that you consider the comments here (especially about your age and candidacy for pedalling). Should a law encounter occur, it will not be cheap.

OnTrackZeD

Postby OnTrackZeD » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:00 am

find_bruce wrote:Here's a simple question - what do you call a two wheeled vehicle with a 1000W electric motor ? A motorbike
Last I checked those fines came to about $2,000 in NSW. I am not sure what they are in Victoria.

+1
Its a motorbike and the fine in VIC is about $2,000 mark as well.