What kind of scumbag do you have to be to steal the bike of a man with a head injury, being loaded in an ambulance?

xavdav

What kind of scumbag do you have to be to steal the bike of a man with a head injury, being loaded in an ambulance?

Postby xavdav » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:40 am

It is unfortunately what happened to me last Sunday morning, between 7.30 and 8.00 am on the M7 cycle way near Preston.
After a heavy fall on the wet M7 cycle way last Sunday morning, I was knocked out by the crash and taken, to Liverpool hospital by ambulance while three bystanders where left to contact my wife and look after my bike with the declared intention of handing the bike over to her at an agreed location. When my wife showed up at that location only two of the bystanders were present, the missing one was the one that was in charge of looking after the bike. No credible attempt has been made to hand over the bike at the local hospital or police station, so I had to declare to the police that it was stolen at the scene of an accident.
The bike is listed as stolen here http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=96775 and on stolenbikes.com.au
The bike is a carbon grey Scott Foil 15 with a Fly 6 a Fly 12 and a Powerpod mounted on it.
Please keep an eye for it and let me or the police know if you come across it or have any suspicions.
Needless to say that I am very disappointed by humankind.

g-boaf

Re: What kind of scumbag do you have to be to steal the bike of a man with a head injury, being loaded in an ambulance?

Postby g-boaf » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:48 am

I saw two riders with you at the time when you were on the ground and looking pretty dazed, and I think they might have spoken with the Marconi group who were at prestons that morning. I didn't catch who they were and I don't know them either, unfortunately.

Pretty bad that they've not contacted you back yet, it's not that hard to do.

Hopefully the bike will turn up - it's pretty insulting to one be heavily injured (as you were) and to then have your bike gone too.

xavdav

Re: What kind of scumbag do you have to be to steal the bike of a man with a head injury, being loaded in an ambulance?

Postby xavdav » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:56 am

g-boaf wrote:I saw two riders with you at the time when you were on the ground and looking pretty dazed, and I think they might have spoken with the Marconi group who were at prestons that morning. I didn't catch who they were and I don't know them either, unfortunately.

Hopefully the bike will turn up - it's pretty insulting to one be heavily injured (as you were) and to then have your bike gone too.

The two other riders contacted my wife and I to get news but they do not know the third one (bold guy with a backpack pretending to be called Peter)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:58 am

xavdav wrote:
g-boaf wrote:I saw two riders with you at the time when you were on the ground and looking pretty dazed, and I think they might have spoken with the Marconi group who were at prestons that morning. I didn't catch who they were and I don't know them either, unfortunately.

The two other riders contacted my wife and I to get news but they do not know the third one (bold guy with a backpack pretending to be called Peter)

Hmm, in that case I can't help you - neither of the people I saw had a backpack. :(

xavdav

Postby xavdav » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:27 am

Peter is the bald guy with the back pack on the right of the image and on the right of the guy with the Waratah vets kits.
Last edited by xavdav on Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:48 am

xavdav wrote:Peter is the bald guy with the back pack on the right of the image and on the right of the guy with the Waratah vets kits.

Thanks for the photo - most helpful.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:08 pm

It's possible that there's been some poor handling of getting the bike back to you, like the guy with the bike has the wrong contact number.

Why don't you contact Waratah Vets to see if they can help in tracking down the Waratah rider
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:20 pm

mikesbytes wrote:It's possible that there's been some poor handling of getting the bike back to you, like the guy with the bike has the wrong contact number.

Why don't you contact Waratah Vets to see if they can help in tracking down the Waratah rider

The Waratah Vets rider doesn't have the back. The bald guy with the backpack has the bike.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:07 pm

From my comment in the Stolen Bikes section, I am hoping that the bike is still on its way to you and just needs a bit more motivation and action.

The fellow with the backpack has gloves on so appears to be a bike rider - a potentially a regular bike rider along this section.

In the event that the person did not have correct contact details, I am considering if they may have dropped the bike off to a Police Station in the area - and whether you have to start calling around.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:38 pm

xavdav, I'm professionally curious as to whether you were wearing a helmet when you were knocked out, and if you have a history of concussion.

re this Peter, if there has been a screw up with phone numbers, I'd also suggest you go back to the crash site and check it for posted messages. If I find something of significant value, I leave a note where I found it, in addition to other measures.

I wonder whether he was wearing a helmet when riding. If he habitually doesn't, then he should be easier to spot in future....though he may avoid the path for a few weeks if he has no intent of returning the bike. Though if he uses cycling gloves, it's likely he is a habitual local rider, and will eventually be on the path again.

He doesn't appear to have the fitness that might ascribe membership of a cycle racing club.

syu

Postby syu » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:12 pm

xavdav sorry to hear about your crash and loss, at the very least I hope you're on the mend.

If you'd like to, put together a A4 sized poster, something to the effect of "Have you seen my bike?", create a pdf, upload it to google docs or drop box or something similar, PM me the link and I can print it out and post them at the Prestons end and at the bubbler. They are bound to be seen by a lot of eyes over Christmas.

I'm guessing you're not in much of a condition to go out there and do it yourself, or get you wife to when I'll be out there anyway.

Best to include the location, time and date, a description of the bike and your preferred contact method. Maybe photos too.

I'll leave it up to you.

edit: If you want to appeal to 'Peter' maybe it could be titled "Do you have my bike?"
Last edited by syu on Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xavdav

Postby xavdav » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:21 pm

mikesbytes wrote:It's possible that there's been some poor handling of getting the bike back to you, like the guy with the bike has the wrong contact number.

I got his number, he is the one that called the ambos, He doesn't know the guy that "looked after" the bike.

xavdav

Postby xavdav » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:32 pm

CKinnard wrote:xavdav, I'm professionally curious as to whether you were wearing a helmet when you were knocked out, and if you have a history of concussion.

I was wearing a helmet (Bell Gage MIPS), no history of concussion until that day. The helmet has scratch marks on the side but no cracks or impact marks. My eyebrow was cut by my spectacles frame (titanium).

xavdav

Postby xavdav » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:39 pm

AUbicycles wrote:From my comment in the Stolen Bikes section, I am hoping that the bike is still on its way to you and just needs a bit more motivation and action.

The fellow with the backpack has gloves on so appears to be a bike rider - a potentially a regular bike rider along this section.

In the event that the person did not have correct contact details, I am considering if they may have dropped the bike off to a Police Station in the area - and whether you have to start calling around.

yes I called around the Liverpool Police station the day after. Then I reported the incident to my local police station that will work with them and the ambos and westlink to see if they can get an idea of where this guy went(camera footage).

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:22 pm

CKinnard wrote:I wonder whether he was wearing a helmet when riding. If he habitually doesn't, then he should be easier to spot in future....though he may avoid the path for a few weeks if he has no intent of returning the bike. Though if he uses cycling gloves, it's likely he is a habitual local rider, and will eventually be on the path again.

He doesn't appear to have the fitness that might ascribe membership of a cycle racing club.

I don't recognise him - and I usually notice most people on there. But I will also keep an eye out.

xavdav

Postby xavdav » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:51 pm

g-boaf wrote:
CKinnard wrote:I wonder whether he was wearing a helmet when riding. If he habitually doesn't, then he should be easier to spot in future....though he may avoid the path for a few weeks if he has no intent of returning the bike. Though if he uses cycling gloves, it's likely he is a habitual local rider, and will eventually be on the path again.

I don't recognise him - and I usually notice most people on there. But I will also keep an eye out.

I don't know if i would recognise him, but I would recognise my bike...then the person riding it would be in trouble, unless he can ride much faster than me.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:31 am

Strava FlyBy?

xavdav

Postby xavdav » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:35 am

Lukeyboy wrote:Strava FlyBy?

done that. Unsuccessfully. :(

Lozza

Postby Lozza » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:39 pm

xavdav wrote:

Lozza

Postby Lozza » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:44 pm

Hi, I would like to say that I was one of the Marconi riders, we did stop to help and have been actively helping to find the bike, please check your facts before you say we haven’t contacted the owner

xavdav

Postby xavdav » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:17 pm

Lozza wrote:
g-boaf wrote:Hi, I would like to say that I was one of the Marconi riders, we did stop to help and have been actively helping to find the bike, please check your facts before you say we haven’t contacted the owner

Thanks Lozza, No need to argue about that. So far I know that a guy called Peter Wilson took off with my bike.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:35 pm

Have you tried doing some searches?

For example: https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=Peter%20Wilson
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:57 pm

also try linkedin.

There's at least one with connections nearby.

Don't want to be too stalker-y - but ID?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:42 am

Lozza wrote:

Hi, I would like to say that I was one of the Marconi riders, we did stop to help and have been actively helping to find the bike, please check your facts before you say we haven’t contacted the owner

Not you, the other guy - you did your bit. Apologies - language failure on my part. I should have read my post more carefully. :(