Elderly drivers: Grieving family calls for greater political courage to deal with 'growing deadly problem'

CKinnard

Re: Elderly drivers: Grieving family calls for greater political courage to deal with 'growing deadly problem'

Postby CKinnard » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:28 pm

This book was brought to my attention over Christmas break.

The Alzheimer's Solution: A Breakthrough Program to Prevent and Reverse the Symptoms of Cognitive Decline at Every Age Hardcover – September 12, 2017
by Dean Sherzai (Author),‎ Ayesha Sherzai (Author)

I don't know anything about it yet, but will look into the authors.
There's a lot of alzheimers prevention books on the market, but Loma Linda University where the authors are from leads the world in nutrition research into longevity.

Anything that delays alzheimers is likely to delay all cognitive and neuromotor function.

PA

Re: Elderly drivers: Grieving family calls for greater political courage to deal with 'growing deadly problem'

Postby PA » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:42 pm

Procat wrote:
Mike Ayling wrote:Re Pedal Mixup

About 20 years ago the family did a safedriving course and the recommendation there when driving an automatic was to use the left foot for braking and the right for the gas pedal.

Difficult to hit the wrong pedal in these circumstances!

Mike

Would be interesting if the driver accidentally has both feet on the pedals at the same time. :)

I can say that in a VW the Brake pedal will override the accelerator.

My brother has a R36 VW and he had the gearbox replaced under warranty at no charge (6 speed DSG at around $12,000 he was told) because the car would sometimes not take off when he wanted it. Said it almost caused a couple of crashes. Turns out he was left foot braking and as he had not completely taken his foot off the brake his engine would die. With the new gearbox in it did the same thing.Took the service manager for a drive and he picked it up before they got out of the car park.
Mouse magnet