Law query - Powered scooters in Qld

ColinOldnCranky

Law query - Powered scooters in Qld

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:05 pm

My daughter will be in Brisbane for around 6 months. Her working hours are odd (theatre) typically finishing work well after midnight. Her transport to and from work will be mostly walking and using a powered scooter.

My general understanding is that in most states a powered scooter does nto fit into any of the special classes like pedal assists, unicycles, skateboards etc and can't be used on paths, roads, etc. But I know that Qld does it's own thing, including allowing the use of Segways.

Does anyone know the legalities of riding a powered scooter in Qld? Is the Segway regs applicable? Quoting regulations and legislation would be especially appreciated.

Whether quoting specifics for Qld or for any other state, pls say so when posting.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

find_bruce

Re: Law query - Powered scooters in Qld

Postby find_bruce » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:25 pm

Segways have their own special rules in Queensland - see rule 15A personal mobility device of the Qld Road Rules

I think Queensland are also unique in allowing motorised scooters, subject to 3 rules (1) <200w (2) <10km/h & (3) must wear a bicycle helmet.

The first 2 come from the definition of "motorised scooter" & "scooter" in Schedule 4 of the Transport Operations (Road Use Management) Act 1995 while the helmet requirement is s 244B of the Qld road rules

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:32 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:My daughter will be in Brisbane for around 6 months. Her working hours are odd (theatre) typically finishing work well after midnight. Her transport to and from work will be mostly walking and using a powered scooter.

My general understanding is that in most states a powered scooter does nto fit into any of the special classes like pedal assists, unicycles, skateboards etc and can't be used on paths, roads, etc. But I know that Qld does it's own thing, including allowing the use of Segways.

Does anyone know the legalities of riding a powered scooter in Qld? Is the Segway regs applicable? Quoting regulations and legislation would be especially appreciated.

Whether quoting specifics for Qld or for any other state, pls say so when posting.

Segways are not generally permitted here, only licenced tourism operators can use them.

Same with powered scooters, skateboards, solowheels. That doesn't stop people from using them discreetly. I see a lady on a powered scooter regularly near my CBD office.

What theatre will she be working in? QPAC? And where will she be living?

Keep in mind also the CityCycle service in Brisbane is a great way to get around.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:09 pm

RonK wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:My daughter will be in Brisbane for around 6 months. Her working hours are odd (theatre) typically finishing work well after midnight. Her transport to and from work will be mostly walking and using a powered scooter.

Segways are not generally permitted here, only licenced tourism operators can use them.

Same with powered scooters, skateboards, solowheels. That doesn't stop people from using them discreetly. I see a lady on a powered scooter regularly near my CBD office.

What theatre will she be working in? QPAC? And where will she be living?

Keep in mind also the CityCycle service in Brisbane is a great way to get around.

Segways ARE permitted for general use in Qld and ahve been since Aug 2013. I am not aware that any other states have followed Qld's lead so they are allowed only by special permit by tourist operators in the manner you describe. Age restricted and restricted to paths although they can cross roads at corners, crosswalks, controlled intersections and the like.

I have since looked up the legislation and it is really written with only Segways (and clones) in mind. that is, they must be two wheeled and single axle. Which is really weird, why not skateboards or scooters which are far lighter and less injurious to peds as well as less wide and easily controlled? It's almost as if Segway paid someone to draft the legislation to cut out other functionally equivalent (or superior) competitors.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:52 am

I don't know the legalities, but I see powered scooters on the bike paths regularly. Most of them seem to be able to do 30-35km/h maximum.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:26 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:It's almost as if Segway paid someone to draft the legislation to cut out other functionally equivalent (or superior) competitors.

Nope, the legislation was drafted specifically to enable a certain tourism operator (who no doubt was an LNP donor or member) to run Segway tours.

It was a flop, I think. I live in the CBD area where the tours were run, but I haven't seen anyone on them for ages.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:27 pm

RonK wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:It's almost as if Segway paid someone to draft the legislation to cut out other functionally equivalent (or superior) competitors.

Nope, the legislation was drafted specifically to enable a certain tourism operator (who no doubt was an LNP donor or member) to run Segway tours.

It was a flop, I think. I live in the CBD area where the tours were run, but I haven't seen anyone on them for ages.

You may be right about their reason for freeing up their use. But they have freed it up for anyone over 12 years of age to use without going to a tour operator.

I think the flop is as much to do with the absurd pricing. At up to about four years ago they were still 10 grand, never coming down from when they first came onto th market. The market is smarter than buying one of these that needs two people to put it into the back of the car when there are one wheeled powered devices light enough to be carried at less than 10% of the price. Even if illegal due to the narrowly specific legislation in Qld you can pay a lot of fines with 9 grand.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:41 pm

Personally I doubt there are any legal powered scooters in QLD. I've never seen one doing 10kph. Seen plenty that sit on nearly 40 though. Never heard of anyone being booked.

The thing I would consider though.. is bike paths are patchy in BNE, and some are pretty darn dodgy after dark. She may wish to consider that when choosing where she stays.

Motorised foot scooters

A motorised foot scooter is a scooter which has an electric motor attached of 200 watts output or less. The official mark on the motor will verify the wattage. The motorised foot scooter must not be capable of travelling faster than 10km/h on level ground.

When using a motorised foot scooter you must wear an approved bicycle helmet securely fitted and fastened.

https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/safety/rules/wheeled-devices/skateboards#motorised