2018 - Black Cat Award (Punctures) - Prizes from Pedalit

darkelf921

Re: 2018 - Black Cat Award (Punctures) - Prizes from Pedalit

Postby darkelf921 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:46 am

A double flat again this morning. I should never have posted here! :D

Seriously contemplating filling my tubes with sealant as I am not ready for tubeless but am getting desperate.
My YouTube http://goo.gl/UlJrkN Channel

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:41 pm

Over in Adelaide this week and did 35k this arvo, with 140 planned for tomorrow. I wasn't happy with the balance so as I was undoing the front valve to add some air, the rear valve hole finally cut thru the valve stem.....

Dammit

Total = 3

march83

Postby march83 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:32 pm

Off the mark for quarter #2.

#1: 10/4, lazily drifted into the rough stuff at the edge of the bike path under the M4 at Parramatta and slashed my sidewall on some glass.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:56 am

One for me last night - rode through what looked to be just dirt on the shoulder of the road, but there must have been something sharp, front went down. Changed it and got the rest of the ride done.

Zippy7

Postby Zippy7 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:08 pm

One puncture today thanks to a piece of wire, on the shoulder of the tyre.
Marvellous stuff.
The good thing about it is that I got to see that the saddle bag velcro strap was splitting from the fabric of the bag (a new bag is in order).
Successful trades : Rheicel, Je, wgc138, 2ndeffort, celeste boy, rodneycc

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:30 pm

Sharp piece of glass went through the tyre and the liner as well. I had made it home and the tyre went down later. :(

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:01 pm

Figure as i'm getting back into cycling, and plan to be commuting each day i should start this again.

Long time between posts ;)

Had a total of 6 punctures (though only two technically count i guess) while on a ride with my better half the other day.

All happened simultaneously. 4 caltrops in the front tyre, 2 in the rear tyre. Not *too* far from home (only 3km) so thought as soon as it happened (i could hear the air coming from the MTB tyres) that i'd push hard and get as close to home as possible.

Of course that then lead to me snapping the chain on the bike no more than 3 seconds after said punctures. So i had a front tyre with more holes than rubber, not much better in the rear, and the chain was 20 metres behind me.

Good times! Glad i'm riding again...

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:44 pm

Caelum wrote:Figure as i'm getting back into cycling, and plan to be commuting each day i should start this again. .
Chris - if you're reading this, the award this quarter should go to this guy

march83

Postby march83 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:01 am

2 in 2 days:

#2: 23/4: slashed on the M4 just near the twin servos by something I didn't see. Terminal for the tyre, though I managed to ride it home another 35km with a tube hernia poking out

#3: 24/4: the old in and out. again, didn't see it, couldn't find anything lodged in the tyre, couldn't even find a sign of damage in the tube. Potentially could have been a dud tube that just let go, but more likely that it was something very fine

So #1 and #2 for this quarter were both sidewall slashes and were both way beyond what a tubeless tyre could handle. Jury is out on #3. Based on that, I'm not convinced by tubeless for commuting, though
I have just ordered some tubeless tyres for my weekend bike just to see how it goes.

Interestingly, I put my nice, wide training wheels onto my commuter about a month ago and I've had hardly had any piercing flats since then (touch wood), although the ones I've had have been sidewall slashes. 23mm VS 19mm. the 25mm tyres I'm running are super wide on the wide rim and roll very nicely, but I guess the increased width also increases the chance of slashes...

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:46 pm

Another one yesterday which I suspect was a cut in the tyre that cause the tube to go down. It didn't go down suddenly. I've tossed the cut tyre and put a new one on. :(

At this rate I'm going to go broke buying tubes and expensive tyres.

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:49 pm

Finally......my long awaited picture of the black cat award for Q1 2018.

I picked up 12 punctures in January, 6 probable pinch flats and 6 foreign body penetrations, none in February, and 4 in March, 3 of which were sharp objects and one I wasn't sure about. 15 of the 16 punctures were either on the M5 or minutes after leaving the M5. My wife thinks the bad run in January was because there was only a skeleton crew on sweeping duties (holiday season). While it is undeniably true that the debris on the M5 was particularly bad in January, I think the relative scarcity of punctures since then (I am not yet off the mark this quarter) is because I am making a better job of keeping my tyres properly inflated.

If I want to observe the 15% deflection rule, I need at least 7 bar (101 psi in my rear tyre, and maybe 6 1/2 in the front. I used to pinch my tyres and top them up if they felt soft. Now I top up to 7 bar (front and back) every few days, regardless of how they feel. Perhaps I am not very good at the pinch test, but my tyres still feel rock hard when they are down to 4 - 5 bar. I suspect I was riding around at 3 - 4 bar regularly before I changed my approach.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipM ... ZFY0NXSmVB

march83

Postby march83 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:58 pm

Interesting. I run 70psi on a monday and don't pump all week and I never ever pinch flat. Ever. Never, ever ever. I'm ~82kg + a decent backpack. I mainly get steel from retreads and the odd bit of glass.

#4: 26/4 nice big bit of truck retread. looked like I'd been carrying it for a little while before it worked its way into the tube. Last 3 flats in 3 rides have all been through an "emergency use only" Rubino Pro G+. They are utter trash - not light, not fast, not supple and definitely not puncture proof. Also I think the black cats are punishing me for running mismatched tyres ;)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:48 pm

One more to the total, a very sharp piece of glass went right through a new tyre, puncture immediately about 50m from home. Cursed angrily and went home, fixed it and went out and smashed myself for 70km.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed May 02, 2018 10:31 am

Double puncture yesterday although tubes was holed in similar spot so thinking I missed the glass on the first puncture and 25km later it decided to strike again... or just unlucky and 2 in similar spot but will count it as 1

1 this 1/4
4 for the year
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

march83

Postby march83 » Wed May 02, 2018 11:12 am

#5: 27/4: A short length of welding rod pierced the tyre and lodged in it on the chevrons at the Cumberland Hwy crossing. I was going fast and it went down very quickly. Sometimes I wish I had a nice bike to commute on because it's the bike I ride the most, but then things like this happen - I lost a lot of paint from the inside of the stays because I couldn't stop instantly and the lodged welding rod was striking the frame with every rotation of the wheel.

On the plus side, I think I PB'd my tyre change. Once I'd stopped, I was repaired and rolling in 6m 50s

#6: 1/5: No idea what got me, I couldn't find anything in the tyre, but it went down fast so I'm assuming it was just an in-and-out. The glare heading west is pretty bad during the afternoon peak hour at the moment so it's pretty tricky to pick out the debris

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat May 05, 2018 3:49 pm

First puncture for 15mths. Can't find where about's it is, as it's a tub and I have air coming out of every cut in the rubber and side walls. :lol: Not worried about though, as I was going to change these due to them being on the wheels for three years. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Mon May 07, 2018 11:00 am

Front puncture this morning...a bit of glass.. wet roads which seems to bring the glass to the surface

2 for this 1/4
5 for the year
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Mon May 14, 2018 6:45 am

10 May - Thursday morning - Another rear puncture. took ages for the tyre to go down...couldnt find anything. Wet roads bring out the glass here and I had a short road section which often has parked car with smashed windows when some low life goes on a shopping spree.
11 May Friday afternoon - got home from work.. parked bike and then 5 min later tyre popped... think I was lucky to get home. have now replaced the tyre with a marathon plus for the wet winter roads
12 May swapped wheels for CX race, as I grabbed the wheel I noticed a staple sticking out of the tyre. Pulled the staple and down the tyre went...
hopefully thats it for me now
5 for the 1/4
8 for the year

Zippy7

Postby Zippy7 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:42 pm

Sunday - got a puncture on the way home. Sag wagon because it was just a bit too far to walk.
Found out it was the tyre liner (Mr Tuffy kevlar) that wore a groove in the tube where it overlapped.
Put a patch on the spot and now sorted!!
Successful trades : Rheicel, Je, wgc138, 2ndeffort, celeste boy, rodneycc

march83

Postby march83 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:59 pm

#7:5/7: Big nail in the rain on the M4 at Merrylands. Other than this, the Michelin Pro4 Endurance 25s I'm running at the moment have been great for puncture protection.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:46 am

20180306 - rear tyre, michelin power endurance. no idea what got it. didn't find anything. can't find any obvious holes
20180322 - front tyre. I hit a stick about 1km from home last night. It obviously punctured the tube as it was flat when i went to the garage this morning. I put a new tyre on while i was at it. Michelin power competition
Old total: 2
20180620 - go out to the garage. rear is flat. find the glass. replace tube (after finding the valve that disappeared across the garage with the valve cap) and i was on my way. michelin power endurance
New total: 3

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:04 pm

1 front tyre gone down overnight- no warning. Didn't even ride the bike for a few days.

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:50 pm

After winning the Black Cat Award in Q1 (thank you Pedalit and thank you AUbicycles) I have been putting in what is arguably the worst title defence in history. I had begun to doubt if I would even get to the starting line, but this morning my rear tyre was flat when I went to get my bike out of the garage. It turned out to be a fairy pube, no doubt picked up on my last ride on Wednesday, on the M5 (where else). It is never actually an enjoyable experience to get a puncture, but the least painful kind is the one you discover at home. You can fix it at your leisure, and in relative comfort.

So why has my puncture flood turned into a drought? I believe it is because, after years of doing it wrong, I am finally inflating my tyres properly. I no longer trust the pinch test to tell me my tyres are hard enough. Instead I inflate them every few days; my road bikes to 7 bar (front) and 8 bar (rear, and my mountain bike (32 mm tyres) to 6 and 7. I have not experienced a pinch flat since I have been doing this. On several occasions, I have run over debris on the M5 with enough impact to cause me to slow down, bracing for what I thought would be the inevitable deflation, and been pleasantly surprised when the tyre stayed up.

caneye

Postby caneye » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:15 am

Philistine wrote:..

So why has my puncture flood turned into a drought? I believe it is because, after years of doing it wrong, I am finally inflating my tyres properly. I no longer trust the pinch test to tell me my tyres are hard enough. Instead I inflate them every few days; my road bikes to 7 bar (front) and 8 bar (rear, and my mountain bike (32 mm tyres) to 6 and 7. I have not experienced a pinch flat since I have been doing this. On several occasions, I have run over debris on the M5 with enough impact to cause me to slow down, bracing for what I thought would be the inevitable deflation, and been pleasantly surprised when the tyre stayed up.
that's good to hear!
out of curiosity .. do you know if your current pressure is higher or lower than what you used to run?

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:50 pm

caneye wrote: out of curiosity .. do you know if your current pressure is higher or lower than what you used to run?
Quite a bit higher now. For example - I went to get my roadie out the other day (first time for about a week) and pinched the tyres. The front seemed the tiniest bit soft but, three or four months ago, I would have considered it to be OK, and ridden on it regardless. When I came to blow it up, it was only 3 bar. Now that I have finally worked out where all the pinch flats were coming from, I am amazed that it took me so long.