Di2 battery check lights

Flavelo25

Di2 battery check lights

Postby Flavelo25 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:11 am

I've just upgraded to an Ultegra R8050 Di2 drivetrain, and the shop showed me how to check the battery level. No problem there. Now however, when I press the lever to check the battery level I get the solid green light for 2 seconds (battery above 50%), then it goes out for a second or so, and I get the solid green AND a solid red light coming on for another 2 seconds. What does this mean?

Flavelo25

chrisvdv

Re: Di2 battery check lights

Postby chrisvdv » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:43 pm

Duck!
Expert

Re: Di2 battery check lights

Postby Duck! » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:17 pm

The note in the Shimano is not fully correct; it states the shift mode identifier is red, whereas the signal is actually both LEDs. In addition to double-pressing the button to change shift mode and the LEDs indicating each mode, a battery check will also be followed by an indication of what shift mode you're in.

PS: Solid green light on the battery check means more than 75% battery charge. Flashing green is between 50 & 75%, solid red is between 25 & 50%, flashing red is below 25% charge. When you get to 10% charge remaining, the front shifting will shut down. When you run out completely you're stuck in whatever gear you're in.

The shift mode indicators (both red & green LEDs together) are solid for two seconds, standard "manual" shift mode; two flashes, semi-Synchro (manual front shift, the rear will automatically shift back two sprockets to reduce the ratio jump); three flashes, full Synchro, where all you have to do is shift up or down, the front will shift at specific points in the shift sequence and the rear will correctively shift two gears to reduce the ratio jump, all with one press of the button.

On compatible systems (R9150 & R8050 as standard, 9070 and 6870 updated with the newer battery or external mount as applicable) the shift mode is indicated when the battery is connected or after a battery check is performed, as per the OP.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.