A year in the life of a wannabe racer- Part 4- The Comeback!

ldrcycles

Re: A year in the life of a wannabe racer- Part 4- The Comeback!

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:06 pm

Oh and I had almost all of the above written up last night when the laptop suddenly shut down for no reason and it all went into the aether. Straight to bed after that...
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:11 am

You really need to start saving as you go.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:59 pm

For the last record ride of the year (Gympie-Maryborough) the plan was to start at 4:30, but a big storm had been through the night before, and I decided it would be safer to pick my way through the debris in daylight. Also I was running late and it made a good excuse :lol:

So off I went at 5am, and the first 10k passed quickly with lovely scenery, a little fog and a beautiful sunrise. There was a heck of a lot of vegetation down on the shoulder, but with very little traffic I was able to go around it without trouble. The first few hills through to Goomboorian were very enjoyable, and from there things flattened out a little through Toolara Forest (the largest pine plantation in the southern hemisphere I'm told). Unfortunately the road surface also went to hell, and the pine forest funnelled the southeasterly into my face, pushing the speed down badly.

With more hills and the Boonooroo Plains to come, I gritted my teeth and steadily spun away at as little as 22kmh on the flat. When I finally reached the Maryborough turn off and had the wind behind me it was glorious, 40+kmh on the flat and 35 up one hill. Nearly 70 down a narrow 9% downhill was good fun too :D

Beyond Poona the wind started to move around, and the instant the wind assistance wasn't there holding any sort of speed on the super coarse chip became jolly difficult. By rights, the turn onto the Boonooroo Plains should have lined me up perfectly with a tailwind, and while it was there some of the way, there was also a solid crosswind from my left at times. The main issue was the surface, easily the roughest bitumen I've ever ridden, and I'm delighted to have managed a 35.7kmh average along there.

After a rather lukewarm sprint over the narrow Mary River bridge and along Kent Street, I pulled up to the beautiful Maryborough Post Office with a time of 3:06:16 for 99.9km.

Now for the plot twist. As far as I was aware, the record was 3:53:00, set in 1939 by Allan Fisher on his way to breaking the Brisbane-Rockhampton record. Hours of searching on Trove didn't turn up anything quicker, and as far as road records are concerned, if it isn't on Trove, it may as well not exist (so far enquiries to 2 cycling clubs, the Townsville library, and Lismore historical society have come up with nothing). Posting the record on Facebook however, brought some information out of the woodwork.

Newspaper articles saying "broke the record to such and such" without saying what the time was have been the bane of my research over the last few months, and no more so than now. Geysing's average for the whole ride was about 32.5kmh, and my average for Gympie-Maryborough was 32.2. He had some dirt on that stretch though, and I don't know how long that part of the route was in 1975, so until I can find out what time he made to Gympie, the record is up in the air.

To make things even more complicated, a bike shop owner in Noosa says he sponsored another Brisbane-Maryborough ride by one Michael Brown around 2000. While he was able to confirm there was an observer car (so ticks the box for being an official attempt) he didn't remember what the time was.

So while it looks likely that I haven't actually got the record, if my ride serves to get proper recognition for whoever DOES have it, then that's a damn good result too. I would have liked it to happen without spending 3 hours on roads that decrease my likelihood of fathering any more children but so be it :lol:

This morning I was looking forward to giving the "new" (2006) Diamondback Criterium a run now that I've fitted carbon forks and better bars, so spun up to the top of the Kin Kin range and pulled over to take a photo.

Unfortunately it was quite windy, and a well timed gust toppled the bike just right to do this-

Oh well, at least I was close to home.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:23 pm

Just a quick update before heading out to a family get together. I'm flat out getting things in order before the bub arrives, Mrs LDR is due on the 19th but she may be induced next thursday as there is some concern about how big said bub is getting. I was 11 or 12lbs when I was born so it's not unexpected.

I STILL haven't got a conclusion on the Gympie-Maryborough ride, but it inspired a very strong triathlete from Hervey Bay to have a crack at the Maryborough-Bundaberg record, which he managed at a 37kmh average :shock:

https://roadrecordaus.weebly.com/news/m ... y-35-hours

I've only been on the bike twice in the last fortnight, and my fitness is disappearing ridiculously quickly. Until the new bub gets here I'm not going outside a half hour radius from home though.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:48 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Just a quick update before heading out to a family get together. I'm flat out getting things in order before the bub arrives, Mrs LDR is due on the 19th but she may be induced next thursday as there is some concern about how big said bub is getting. I was 11 or 12lbs when I was born so it's not unexpected.

I STILL haven't got a conclusion on the Gympie-Maryborough ride, but it inspired a very strong triathlete from Hervey Bay to have a crack at the Maryborough-Bundaberg record, which he managed at a 37kmh average :shock:

https://roadrecordaus.weebly.com/news/m ... y-35-hours

I've only been on the bike twice in the last fortnight, and my fitness is disappearing ridiculously quickly. Until the new bub gets here I'm not going outside a half hour radius from home though.

So ya mother hates you. :shock: :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:30 pm

The first of many, MANY reasons haha!