Disobeying Traffic Lights: fines issued in Victoria for 2017

fat and old
Posts: 3616
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:06 pm
Location: Mill Park

Disobeying Traffic Lights: fines issued in Victoria for 2017

Postby fat and old » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:19 am

The figures are in!

8281 motorists.

2780 pedestrians

<1600 cyclists

Those pedestrians should be registered! :lol:

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.the ... 0bkoa.html

User avatar
find_bruce
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7879
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Disobeying Traffic Lights: fines issued in Victoria for 2017

Postby find_bruce » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:54 am

& yet 107,319 motorists were fined for being unlicensed or driving an unregistered vehicle.

The numbers you quote are just those issued by Police & are dwarfed by the speed & red light cameras for which there were 1,439,538 fines. A brief look didn’t show a breakdown of red light runners

User avatar
bychosis
Posts: 5693
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:10 pm
Location: Lake Macquarie

Re: Disobeying Traffic Lights: fines issued in Victoria for 2017

Postby bychosis » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:09 am

fat and old wrote:The figures are in!

8281 motorists.

2780 pedestrians

<1600 cyclists


Unfortunately if you ask all the haters, they could have caught a whole lot more cyclists if the cyclists could be identified with a rego plate and reported by the public. :roll:
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Arbuckle23
Posts: 531
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:07 pm
Location: Mornington Peninsula

Re: Disobeying Traffic Lights: fines issued in Victoria for 2017

Postby Arbuckle23 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:18 pm

bychosis wrote:Unfortunately if you ask all the haters, they could have caught a whole lot more cyclists if the cyclists could be identified with a rego plate and reported by the public. :roll:


And could have got more pedestrians if they had rego as well :P

Mediocratus
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:18 pm

Re: Disobeying Traffic Lights: fines issued in Victoria for 2017

Postby Mediocratus » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:59 pm

You no longer need rego if you have facial recognition however I can just imagine the outcry if they set up facial recognition cameras at city intersections. They could use the drivers licence photos as the database. They would get huge numbers of pedestrians every day at major city intersections.

User avatar
bychosis
Posts: 5693
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:10 pm
Location: Lake Macquarie

Re: Disobeying Traffic Lights: fines issued in Victoria for 2017

Postby bychosis » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:10 am

It is interesting that it is almost acceptable for peds to disobey lights. They don't really do any harm, and considering the risk to the ped from motor vehicles, most do it in a 'safe' way

The only reason we have traffic lights for peds is to allow motorised traffic to clear 'at speed' so we can get back to crossing the road again. In areas where traffic is really slow peds wander about the roads without needing to cross at the lights and no one gets hurt, because they self assess the risks, and the motor traffic tends to let them cross. Yet again our prioritised motor traffic screws up the system so that crossing the road is hard in CBD type areas.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

User avatar
Ivanerrol
Posts: 172
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 9:12 pm

Re: Disobeying Traffic Lights: fines issued in Victoria for 2017

Postby Ivanerrol » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:18 pm

Mediocratus wrote:You no longer need rego if you have facial recognition however I can just imagine the outcry if they set up facial recognition cameras at city intersections. They could use the drivers licence photos as the database. They would get huge numbers of pedestrians every day at major city intersections.


Too late. There are cameras everywhere - thousands of them in Melbourne alone.
I work in a very large public area - in excess of 17 million movements through the building per year. We have hundreds of cameras. Software is setup for facial recognition and number plate reading. The cameras are zoom in HD - from 200 meters away a camera can be zoomed in and check the pimples on your face.
It's not the cameras which do the cognition - it's the software behind them.
If you think traffic cameras aren't face recognition capable - think again. Be very wary of getting a traffic fine and then nominating someone else as the driver.

You have all seen the Jason Bourne movies. The producers take pride in the fact that all the technology in use in the films actually exists.
In one of the movies the existence of the Echelon Package was discussed - it's real.
iPhone Face ID? How's your privacy going?
"Follow your passion - go Broke. Follow an opportunity get wealthy" - Mike Rowe - Dirty Jobs

User avatar
Ivanerrol
Posts: 172
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 9:12 pm

Re: Disobeying Traffic Lights: fines issued in Victoria for 2017

Postby Ivanerrol » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:22 pm

The red light 40KM speed camera at the edge of the CBD on the corner of Victoria and Rathdown street probably captures 8000 miscreant drivers a week
"Follow your passion - go Broke. Follow an opportunity get wealthy" - Mike Rowe - Dirty Jobs

ausrandoman
Posts: 727
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:33 pm

Re: Disobeying Traffic Lights: fines issued in Victoria for 2017

Postby ausrandoman » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:44 pm

fat and old wrote:
8281 motorists.

2780 pedestrians

<1600 cyclists


This means little, unless we also know the number of people who did not break any rules, so we can calculate what percentage of different groups were disobeying the laws. Given that on almost (every?) road in Victoria, motorists vastly out-number pedestrians and cyclists, those figures seem to indicate that a much higher proportion of cyclists are at fault.

To save you time, I'll fill in the next comment for you: "Yeah, but cyclists don't kill people, don't damage the roads, don't cause pollution, reduce health costs ... etc etc etc."

User avatar
bychosis
Posts: 5693
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:10 pm
Location: Lake Macquarie

Re: Disobeying Traffic Lights: fines issued in Victoria for 2017

Postby bychosis » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:56 pm

ausrandoman wrote:those figures seem to indicate that a much higher proportion of cyclists are at fault

Or more accurately it is only those that have been caught and fined. Lots of peds and cyclists may have been given a warning also, but I suspect motorists wouldn’t be given much leniency in red light running.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

ausrandoman
Posts: 727
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:33 pm

Re: Disobeying Traffic Lights: fines issued in Victoria for 2017

Postby ausrandoman » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:16 pm

bychosis wrote:
ausrandoman wrote:those figures seem to indicate that a much higher proportion of cyclists are at fault

Or more accurately it is only those that have been caught and fined. Lots of peds and cyclists may have been given a warning also, but I suspect motorists wouldn’t be given much leniency in red light running.


I have no idea if you are correct. I don't know if police are more disposed to warn cyclists and pedestrians than motorists. I guess a lot motoring offences would be picked up semi-automatically by cameras whereas fining cyclists and pedestrians takes a bit more time and effort. If you are correct*, and many cyclists and pedestrians were warned but not fined, then the proportion of cyclists and pedestrians who break the law is even worse.

* I am not claiming you are wrong. I am making clear that I don't know either way.

User avatar
find_bruce
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7879
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Disobeying Traffic Lights: fines issued in Victoria for 2017

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:22 am

ausrandoman you are correct that no conclusion can be drawn about proportions without knowing total number. You are wrong to suggest anything about the proportion of cyclists is higher because of an assumption about the number of cars, pedestrians & cyclists. In the CBD for example there are many more pedestrians than motorists. Police are not randomly distributed around Victoria, but rather are sent to selected locations with instructions to perform a specific task. Yes I have seen Police ignore one form of law breaking because that was not on their job list - a cop on foot is unlikely to chase down & pull over a car, a cop in a car is unlikely to be effective in targeting people walking on a separated path.

Its an example of selection bias, which makes accurate conclusions problematic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: NhiTrac, Trevtassie