To Race or Not?

Arbuckle23

Re: To Race or Not?

Postby Arbuckle23 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:28 pm

fat and old wrote:Reading another site, somebody commented that they could see Zwift taking over from real crit races due to safety concerns of the people who race. At first I laughed, then thinking about it I could see the reasoning. Do the racer types see any future in this?
At the moment I can't see myself doing Zwift.
Interacting with real people is best rather than on a computer.
From what I read, there can be cheating on Zwift with people lying about their weight to get their watts per kg up, so the game makes them faster than they really are.
To me its just a video game with a physical aspect. Not real life :)

Oh. No safety concerns either in what I saw last week, compared to not racing and riding on the road.
If I get concerned with people doing silly things I will bail out.

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:33 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Lots of people think they are 'strong' on a bike until they get their bums kicked in a race somewhere by some old bloke or young pimply faced kid.
Had to laugh at this from DD, as I'm under no illusion that I'd get my bum handed to me on a platter without hesitation. Personally, I enjoy what I do, but that's me.

I'd say, give it a go and see where it takes you. If you don't like it, stop. If you do, keep going !!
If it's just a bit of spirited fun then go for it... But like all competitive sports you've got a lot to learn if you want to compete at the pointy end of crits. My brother did step into B grade crits over night, but he has a history, is a bike mechanic, and rode BMX bikes for most of his teenage years. There is a lot more to learn in the sport though other than riding a bike quickly.

Strava is fun, until you look at two factors, people lie about various aspects, people cheat by various means, and there are more pro riders in your area than you think particularly if you live along some of the more famous coastal bays, but also in the city.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:31 pm

Arbuckle23 wrote:
ironhanglider wrote:So what grade did you start in?

Cheers,

Cameron
F Grade. Will go E next time.
The crit course rolls faster than my normal home circuit, so the average speeds recorded in the SMCC results page are higher than I thought even allowing for bunches rather than solo.
I am hoping to progress and get faster by racing. We will see, no expectations, just want to have fun and get faster.
Good to hear your coming back for seconds. As with rallying, you with can practice till the cows come home, but you can't beat actual bum in the seat competition to increase performance, skills etc .......and get that buzz :wink: . And with crits there no shame in getting dropped when going up grades. Some races will only see half A and B grades starters make the finish.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:38 pm

Time to update this thread as have completed my 3 races and time to look at the full year licence

Moving up a grade was good, have missed the podium twice, but enjoyed it better.
Today's race pace was the fastest I have done and was more enjoyable because of it.
Have been away for work over the last two weeks so that meant a little drop off in fitness.
Combine that with a metric yesterday, to claw back some km for my yearly distance goal, meant I ran out of legs :).

But I digress.

Having fun and will get a licence to race for the rest of the year. I am enjoying the challenge and the camaraderie after the race.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:30 pm

8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

macca33

Postby macca33 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:51 pm

I see you live down Mornington way - try Southern Masters - I believe their first road race this season will be Crib Point or Somers. Go online to Cycling Aust website and get a 3-Race Pass and head down there. They are a VERY accommodating mob and cater to all levels, with A-G Grades.

You won't ever know, until you have a go!!!

Best of luck.
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:35 pm

TLDR macca33?

Well done and thanks for the update Arbuckle23. It is great when you are riding in the right grade. I might even get out to a SMCC race or two this season so I'll look out for you.

I'm easy enough to spot on a partly pink bike.

Cheers,

Cameron

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:51 pm

Time to update this thread, after the last Crit race of the season.
I have had an absolute ball racing, I was smiling at the end of every race I contested.
Sitting in the bunch, seeing who is strong, working out how much work to do (without doing too much ;)), positioning yourself for the last lap, working out whether to (try to) chase down someone off the front or not, very enjoyable.
I enjoy my weekly bunch ride, but the racing has bought another dimension to my riding. My daily rides now have just a little more purpose other than "getting the kms in the legs".

Now looking forward to the road season here.

So glad I decided to have a go. Never to old to start and as long as you treat it as a fun morning out, you can't go wrong.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:42 pm

yep, it is fun, for as long as you don't break bones....and until you find something more fun.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:00 pm

There is a bonus from racing, especially as you get older. Intensity is the key to getting the benefits from physical exercise as you age.

Simply engaging in endurance exercising helps compared to inactivity, but your overall capacity continues to decline with age at the same rate s the rest of the population.

However, those who race fend to ride and train at much higher intensity. Longitudinal studies seem to show that age-related decline is reduced dramatically if not arrested among the cohort that races regularly.

So even if there are greater risks involved in racing, they may well be moe than countered by the increased health benefits. This is just one study but it is consistent with the general trend of findings, that long term high intensity exercise is good for you:

Increased average longevity among the "Tour de France" cyclists.

Roager

Postby Roager » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:04 am

I too am an ex rally competitor, and have just started at SMCC with a try at road racing. So far so good.
No more dangerous than a group ride down Beach Rd. Will do a second event soon, not sure whether it will be a RR or a crit. By the way, I am 62!
Roger Moll