Greeting Fellow Cyclists (and Joggers)

silentC

Greeting Fellow Cyclists (and Joggers)

Postby silentC » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:59 pm

At this time of the year, we have quite a few more cyclists and joggers about than normal, so I am finding myself having to acknowledge more people than I normally would on a morning ride.

In the past I have experimented with different greetings, from things like "g'day", "hello", to the more expansive "good morning". I have found the longer greetings difficult to get out in time for them to be fully understood and they probably suffer somewhat from the Doppler effect. With the modern malaise of paranoia and general social anxiety, misunderstood greetings can be problematic and embarrassing for both greeter and greetee.

So in the last couple of years, I have found "hey" to be the most useful greeting. The great advantage of "hey" over "hello" for example is that it is much easier to emit when under the pump, without giving away your level of respiratory difficulty. It is also much more utilitarian than words like "hi" and "g'day", because it can convey a wide range of meanings with subtle changes in inflection. "Hey", "heeeey", "HEY!" all have quite different meanings whilst not being significantly taxing on the vocabulary.

All in all I find it a most satisfactory greeting.

So what this post is actually about is: Do other people find their minds pondering all sorts of ridiculous topics whilst riding, or is it just me?
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

Arbuckle23

Re: Greeting Fellow Cyclists (and Joggers)

Postby Arbuckle23 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:17 pm

I usually go with "mornin" :)
Or a lift of the three outer fingers on the bars in a part wave for bikes going the other way.
Sometimes even a head nod is all I am capable of if out of breath :lol:

silentC

Postby silentC » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:34 pm

Yeah I do the three-finger-salute to riders on the opposite side of the road :)

But seriously, this conversation went on in my head for some considerable time this morning. It may be hypoxia...
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

Zippy7

Postby Zippy7 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:51 pm

Hehe - the greeting depends on how puffed I am at the time :)
Successful trades : Rheicel, Je, wgc138, 2ndeffort, celeste boy, rodneycc

Tim

Postby Tim » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:10 pm

silentC wrote:o what this post is actually about is: Do other people find their minds pondering all sorts of ridiculous topics whilst riding, or is it just me?
Yep.
Plotting obsessive, murderous, gruesome and violent revenge on moron motorists.
I try seriously hard not to but sometimes it's difficult to control. And ridiculous too.
I weigh 61kg's, can't punch my way out of a wet paper bag and have never, ever hit a single soul, other than my sister at age seven. :D

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:03 pm

I find people calling out "Hey" to me kinda offensive.

It may be a generational thing, but I would not address anyone that way if my intention was to be polite or friendly.

If you can't manage to say "G'day" or "morning", a nod or a smile will usually suffice.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

silentC

Postby silentC » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:08 pm

Good thing we don't live near each other :)
- Me

silentC

Postby silentC » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:13 pm

It probably is generational, although I am 52.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hey
- Me

JPB

Postby JPB » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:42 pm

G'day and a nod

But how many g'days and nods are required when it is a large group passing?

silentC

Postby silentC » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:46 pm

Yes all that nodding may cause a mild concussion.
- Me

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:11 pm

JPB wrote:G'day and a nod

But how many g'days and nods are required when it is a large group passing?
One.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:14 pm

silentC wrote:It probably is generational, although I am 52.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hey
So you are telling strangers you meet in the street that you would to dance with them and have sex with them? :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

silentC

Postby silentC » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:07 am

Well like I said, it's a very useful word which can convey many meanings :)

I do find that the "hey" I use with blokes is different to the one I use with women. More guttural for the blokes, and gentler, less threatening for the ladies. No doubt that would be viewed as sexist. Kids get a more enthusiastic rendering, so I'm probably ageist too!
- Me

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:37 am

This serious issue was tackled by GCN. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKMR39pbCfE

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:59 am

hamishm wrote:This serious issue was tackled by GCN. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKMR39pbCfE
Yeah I've watched quite a few videos of these two blokes and they cover a wide range of cycling matters especially their myth busting videos on cycling.
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

silentC

Postby silentC » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:01 am

Ha ha yeah I forgot about that (see other thread on elderly drivers :( ).

I think "hey" is an American thing, as in "Hey, how's it going". Might have to rethink it, can't have that!
- Me

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:35 am

silentC wrote:I think "hey" is an American thing, as in "Hey, how's it going". Might have to rethink it, can't have that!
My experience in the local context it usually means get outta my way.

silentC

Postby silentC » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:42 am

That's "HEY!", not "hey" :)

I'm starting to see how using the same word for many meanings based on inflexion and context can lead to confusion ;)
- Me

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:44 am

RonK wrote:
silentC wrote:I think "hey" is an American thing, as in "Hey, how's it going". Might have to rethink it, can't have that!
My experience in the local context it usually means get outta my way.
That's definitely a generational thing. You must be really old. :P

Personally for me it's just a nod to those coming the other way, and usually "G'day there/mate..." when overtaking. :wink:
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

silentC

Postby silentC » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:17 pm

When overtaking people I like to carry on a long conversation about the weather or something so they can see how out of breath I'm not. Takes all the will power I can muster.
- Me

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:25 pm

silentC wrote:When overtaking people I like to carry on a long conversation about the weather or something so they can see how out of breath I'm not. Takes all the will power I can muster.
Yeah I'd carry on a conversation with you: "what's that, you want to go faster, okay". :twisted:

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:36 pm

I'm usually a nodder. I actually really enjoy acknowledging fellow cyclists particularly the ones you regularly cross on a commute (I don't know them from a bar of soap but have this weird friendly connection with a few of them).

I have a few problems with some of long touring bike lines of people and maybe nod at the start middle and end of the line (and I really hate overtaking those same guys/girls - sometimes I'd just rather take a different route some days, but that's more my issue though than theirs).

I don't greet all joggers and walkers (or actually include BMX riders in that), only the ones that look like they might appreciate it :-)

Oh and I usually scowl or shake my head at motorbike riders on the shared bike path which strangely you do get one or two a month up my way! Idiots.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:03 pm

rodneycc wrote:I'm usually a nodder. I actually really enjoy acknowledging fellow cyclists particularly the ones you regularly cross on a commute (I don't know them from a bar of soap but have this weird friendly connection with a few of them).
+1. Also totally agree on feeling that weird friendly connection even though your only contact is a friendly nod on a regular basis multiple times a week.

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:30 pm

It all depends on the situation, sometimes the nod, the 3 finger wave, the big wave to the guys on h other side of the highway...a grunt or a weeze (usually on the back end of 10km run). It's dependent on speed, the recipient, how close and how knackered I am
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

TheWall

Re: Greeting Fellow Cyclists (and Jogger)

Postby TheWall » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:52 pm

Agree situation dependant and funnily had the same thought process as the OP the other day...whilst on a long ride. I cannot believe how many cyclists are out and about on the Sunshine Coast..I was almost getting annoyed until I remembered I was one of them ha ha.

Most cyclists heading the other way get a nod or 3finger wave and ones I pass get a cheerful "morning!" if they are are a slow one or a more serious tone if they are quicker. Sometimes the later takes a bit of preparation in terms of oxygen supplies he he...especially when passing on a climb.

I always give people warning of my intention to pass ('bikes back' or 'on yer right' - hate it when people are not so courteous)