Ever happened to you?!

polishbiker

Ever happened to you?!

Postby polishbiker » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:58 pm

Bit unusual I thought.
My friend parked his bicycle at one of the train station bike cages (ones where you have to tag in to enter).
When he returned from work to his bicycle he noted that someone has swapped his front wheel with a different one with a flat tyre.

Bit random! :D

trailgumby

Re: Ever happened to you?!

Postby trailgumby » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:43 pm

Nope, but your friend has no doubt learned a valuable lesson regarding making sure his front wheel is secured as well as the frame and rear wheel. :D

uart

Postby uart » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:18 pm

polishbiker wrote:Bit unusual I thought.
My friend parked his bicycle at one of the train station bike cages (ones where you have to tag in to enter).
When he returned from work to his bicycle he noted that someone has swapped his front wheel with a different one with a flat tyre.

Bit random! :D
Very strange. Interesting question though, did he end up with a better wheel with better rims and better hubs?

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:40 pm

Luckily he is a casual rider and doesnt have a very expensive bike.
He isint sure whether his new wheel is better or not, he is not that knowledgeable but yes, he only locked his rear wheel.

uart

Postby uart » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:22 am

I remember someone here on the forum once saying that their entire front forks were removed through a lock up cage! Someone actually worked through the gaps in the cage to disassemble the headset and remove the forks and front wheel.

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:59 am

Thanks for posting that. Like your friend I also commute on a relatively cheap bike. After seeing this thread (and a couple of parked bikes without front wheels, though possibly they're cases of the owner taking the front wheel into the office), I've decided I should change my routine. So instead of putting the U-lock through the bike rack, my frame and helmet; I'm now putting it through the bike rack, my frame and my front wheel, and taking my helmet into the office. Probably just that little bit more secure, because my front wheel is pretty easy to remove.
Last edited by AdelaidePeter on Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:01 am

Double post, sorry.