Dahons reputation a myth

Paully

Dahons reputation a myth

Postby Paully » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:22 pm

Bought a Dahon SUV D6, 8 months ago because of their rep and when my son and best friend both saw how much fun I was having on my folding bike they wanted one too. I couldnt afford the $500 plus price tag for two more so bought them both cheaper Aldi folders for around $136. Was surprised at the time to see the cheaper bikes looked better engineered and built. Now only a short time later I need a new crank set and the non aluminiun parts are all covered in rust while the Aldi bikes are in better shape. Surprise! No Dahon manufacturer support in Australia. Next time its Aldi for me.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dahons reputation a myth

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:21 pm

If you are having issues, under Australian law your best option is to go back to the retailer. If you have a manufacturing issue with the crank, they would need to sort this out however rust would not be covered.

Are you leaving the bike outside or is is regularly exposed to weather? This could explain rust. If it is mainly inside and being cleaned (after rain) and oiled (chain and some moving parts) then you can usually avoid rust.

Dahon have made a name for folding bikes and they are big but it is not a reputation for high quality or top level bikes, for this you would need to look at Brompton or Flyer or similar. These are also in a different price category.

For the Aldi folding bikes, I don't know them well and have only ever seen a customer returning two many years ago. Aldi sell these close to purchase cost or even under and make there margins elsewhere. $136 is still an insane price for a complete bike.
Cycling is in my BNA