Presents for the cyclist that has it all (suggestions, please!)

thisgirlisonfire

Presents for the cyclist that has it all (suggestions, please!)

Postby thisgirlisonfire » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:08 pm

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and cycling in general.

I'm hoping someone can help steer me in the right direction... my husband is a keen cyclist - out on the road every weekend or on the stand trainer cycling with the Strava program! Anyway, he turns 30 this year and I want to get him something amazing.

I have, for a long time, had an idea of buying him either a one-on-one or small group ride with an Australian cyclist, or even dinner with them. My budget is, however, a limited to $500.00 due to my health.

So, does anyone know if any cyclists offer anything like this, or any websites that list events like this? We are based in Canberra but I can fly him elsewhere within Australia to allow him to participate.

I'm happy to hear any other present suggestions for keen cyclists. He literally has everything I can think of that a cyclist could need.

Thank you so much in advance!

:D :D :D

roller

Re: Presents for the cyclist that has it all (suggestions, please!)

Postby roller » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:21 pm

I am an Australian cyclist and I would be happy to go for a ride with your husband, one on one for $500, I'd even buy him coffee after (and would include this in the $500 fee).
inflammatory statement or idea

fergy1987

Postby fergy1987 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:49 pm

Send him to the Tour Down Under - although its in 6 days....

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:17 pm

A cyclist who has it all? OK, how about a chainsaw.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:35 pm

get in touch with local cycling clubs, and ask if there's any pros around.

other suggestions
- a bike fit with Steve Hogg in Sydney
- having a pro/semi pro do 2-3 x2 hour sessions with him teaching him advanced handling skills (bigger bunny hops, safer faster descending, emergency high speed braking, wheel stand, track stand) all these things may save him serious injury one day. if you can't find a road pro to teach this stuff, inquire through mtb and down hill bike shops as these guys usually have high skill levels with this stuff.

silentC

Postby silentC » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:53 pm

My boss's lady friend bought him a one-on-one with a track cycling coach at Dunc Gray in Sydney (I think, or maybe it was down the south coast). He is a road cyclist but said it was a great experience.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:50 pm

I like the Tour Downunder idea. Give him a leave pass to go to Adelaide for a few days or make it a family trip with his bike. I think you can even ride the circuit a day or two before the event.

Geez I wish I had an understanding wife like you :-) Its a battle for me to get any time to myself to take off for a ride!

http://tourdownunder.com.au/?gclid=EAIa ... 10055034:s
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:00 pm

How about putting together a day trip to do an iconic ride?

For instance, fly to Hobart for the day. You can get this return for around $200 from Syd or Melb if you look for specials etc, not sure about Canberra.

Rent a bike in Hobart. They have lots of rental shops. A lot are touring bikes or hybrids. However, there are some that do good road bikes. Have discussion with the shop, you can probably line up something similar to his normal bike and pre book it. Budget $150-200.

Give him the route to go to the top of Mt Wellington. That is one of the countries iconic rides, tough, lots of vertical, but amazing views from the top. Up there in the top 5 climbs in the country for sure.

You should be able to do that for $500 with a cheap rental car to get him from the airport downtown, and to leave his gear in so he change etc etc.

If you wanted to make it a weekend, you could go along, spend a night there and do it for around $1000.

You would need a backup plan in case the weather was really bad on the day, eg go to MONA instead etc

This would only work if he likes long rides, like climbing and doesn't mind riding solo. If he always rides with others, it would be tough to do it solo.