Has anyone had experience with Autonomous emergency braking?

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Re: Has anyone had experience with Autonomous emergency braking?

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:36 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
find_bruce wrote:It would seem that the car braked when riders got too close behind it. I fail to see how this is ever a safe or sensible thing to do.

By the riders or the car?

It's the neutral zone, riders are always right up behind and often either side of the Race Director's car in that zone as it maintains a fairly pedestrian and steady pace.

Sorry I should have been clearer - I meant its not a safe or sensible thing to program a car to autonomously brake if it is traveling forward & something is too close behind.

Yes, it does seem strange to have such a "feature" but without a video of the incident it's hard to say.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:43 pm

On a recent test of a very latest model Audi A7 55 TFSI at the world launch in South Africa one of the cars was passing a rider (who was off in the cycling/breakdown shoulder) and the vehicle started beeping quite loudly to warn the driver of the rider. It didn't brake however.

If more cars would do that, it will remove the SMIDSY excuse.

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:17 pm

find_bruce wrote:Sorry I should have been clearer - I meant its not a safe or sensible thing to program a car to autonomously brake if it is traveling forward & something is too close behind.

Certainly not, but surely it can't be what happened?
A bike must have got infront which triggered it?
Is there any detailed report or video of the incident existing?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:34 pm

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:37 pm

biker jk wrote:

That's just weird. Nothing in front or to the side of the Merc but it just slows down for no reason I can see.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:10 pm

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2018/0 ... fety-aids/

An explanation after about 10 seconds of Google searching.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:26 pm

g-boaf wrote:http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2018/02/cycling-race-pileup-speaks-unexpected-dangers-vehicle-safety-aids/

In an E-Class, blame Pre-Safe Plus. The system applies the vehicle’s brakes when it senses an impending collision from a vehicle approaching from the rear. As the Benz was travelling at speed, it mistook the cyclists on its rear bumper as an imminent threat. (The brake application aims to prevent the car from travelling into further danger following a collision.)

Oddest 'safety' thing I've ever come across. Surely this feature will cause a lot of rear end collisions if it brakes when something approaches from behind? I can see the sense of the brakes locking on once the car has been rear ended so it doesn't continue into a car in front but to hit the brakes before hand seems a real misjudgement by Mercedes.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:37 pm

Perhaps they want to sell more rear bumpers.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:46 pm

Hergest wrote:
g-boaf wrote:http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2018/02/cycling-race-pileup-speaks-unexpected-dangers-vehicle-safety-aids/

In an E-Class, blame Pre-Safe Plus. The system applies the vehicle’s brakes when it senses an impending collision from a vehicle approaching from the rear. As the Benz was travelling at speed, it mistook the cyclists on its rear bumper as an imminent threat. (The brake application aims to prevent the car from travelling into further danger following a collision.)

Oddest 'safety' thing I've ever come across. Surely this feature will cause a lot of rear end collisions if it brakes when something approaches from behind? I can see the sense of the brakes locking on once the car has been rear ended so it doesn't continue into a car in front but to hit the brakes before hand seems a real misjudgement by Mercedes.

Maybe they bought Shaaaaayne W in as a guest engineer and he suggested the autobrakecheck cyclists feature?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011