Do you pump your tyre to the max psi? and my bad experience today

foo on patrol

Re: Do you pump your tyre to the max psi? and my bad experience today

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:14 pm

seadan44 wrote:Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
The original S-R2's have tape and the Ksyriums do not, but I have checked and there seems to be no holes on that side of the tubes (if you know what I mean).
Oh and can you patch and re-use a tube if its been inflated with the CO2 cartridge? Saw the powder puff out of the valve and wondered if it might stuff it?
Thanks again
Yes, just clean it properly! :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

uart

Postby uart » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:01 pm

seadan44 wrote: The problem I have is that I moved from the standard Giant SR2 wheels and tyres mentioned above, to the Ksyriums and have unfortunately had 5 punctures in the last week and a half.

The punctures are all over the place and I have checked the wheels and tyres for sharps.
Have you been able to identify the cause of any of the punctures? There are normally three main types

1. If the puncture is on the "outer" part of the tube then it's usually a penetration type puncture. Often you can line up the spot on the tyre and find either some glass or something sharp embedded, or a cut in the tyre where the sharp has been.

2. If the puncture is on the "inner" part of the tube then it's often a problem with the rim tape or a spoke head or spoke hole (maybe not applicable in your case).

3. If the puncture is on the sidewall part then it's usually a pinch puncture. These will often be two really closely spaced "snakebite" pinholes if viewed very closely.

seadan44

Postby seadan44 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:34 pm

The punctures have been all over the outsides of the tubes, nothing rim side, that's what is so irritating.
Went over the front tyre with tweezers removing Bindi spikes but none really have the length to penetrate the mid line but have definitely had 2 go through near the protector strip.
Never really had these issues before with the same tyres and same path so at a bit of a loss really
At one point even the biggest moron is going to have something valuable to say and if your not listening, you'll miss it.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:38 pm

uart wrote: 1. If the puncture is on the "outer" part of the tube then it's usually a penetration type puncture. Often you can line up the spot on the tyre and find either some glass or something sharp embedded, or a cut in the tyre where the sharp has been.
To assist with finding the problem in the tyre it is a good idea to line up the logo on the tyre with the valve stem when installing. It gives you a reference point to check from. Ie if the puncture is at 3 o’clock from the valve, there are two possible locations of the sharp in the tyre if you don’t know which way the tube was installed.

Also sounds as though 115psi might be a bit high. Too high pressure will mean the tyre cannot deform around a sharp item as easily and may increase the puncture chance.
Edit: from the chart on page one of this thread, looks like you could lower the rear to around 95psi and the front even lower.

For 3, snake bites, they are typically down to under inflation and hitting an item larger than the height of the tyre, ie a kerb or large step of some sort.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

seadan44

Postby seadan44 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:46 pm

Hey Foo,
How do clean the powder from inside of the tube? Or do you just keep cleaning the vavle after each time you open it?
Cheers
At one point even the biggest moron is going to have something valuable to say and if your not listening, you'll miss it.

seadan44

Postby seadan44 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:58 pm

Ok Bychosis,
Found the chart and will look at dropping the pressures, hopefully will resolve this as new tubes and cartridges can get expensive :x
Thanks for the advice ..... time to buy a digital tyre pressure gauge methinks.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:02 pm

seadan44 wrote:Hey Foo,
How do clean the powder from inside of the tube? Or do you just keep cleaning the vavle after each time you open it?
Cheers
You don't. Tubes come with powder installed so that they don't stick together. It doesn't cause any ill effects that I've noticed.

Since it sounds like you are having difficulty finding the source of the punctures, try using a discarded stocking to rub around the inside of the tyre. They are pretty good at picking up protrusions.

Cheers,

Cameron

seadan44

Postby seadan44 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:37 pm

LOL, the old stocking is an awesome tip - thanks.
Does also make me a bit suspicious that you weren't telling the truth with one of the earlier questions :lol:
Thanks for the help!

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:58 am

For 3, snake bites, they are typically down to under inflation and hitting an item larger than the height of the tyre, ie a kerb or large step of some sort.
Or potholes. Most of the ones that I have experienced or seen on other people have been from hitting potholes at a decent pace.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:02 pm

RobertL wrote:
Or potholes. Most of the ones that I have experienced or seen on other people have been from hitting potholes at a decent pace.
True. My experience of snake bite punctures is mostly MTB riding which requires a bigger step due to the bigger tyres.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:34 pm

With proper inflation you really shouldn't be getting snake bite punctures on a road bike. Certainly not on a curb as your angle of attack doesn't concentrate the force in a sharp way. A pothole has more chance but I still would suggest that under inflation is the issue. If you want to run lower pressures then go to 25mm....

As was posted here a few years back I hit a curb dead on a a fair speed. Broke the rim and bent the frame. But the tyre was still good. :mrgreen:

seadan44

Postby seadan44 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:53 pm

Ok, so I went for a ride yesterday and lo and behold, yet another puncture.
This time I found the thorn still lodged in the rubber so promptly removed it and in the process found another one that was buried and obviously not found previously.
Pumped the rear tyre to 95psi and it seems to have held.
Unfortunately front is a different story as this is again flat this morning :(
Off to the LBS as I have now had a gutful - 8 punctures in 2 weeks is too much.
Also, big thank you to all the riders that offered assistance when they saw me changing the tube yesterday morning by the path near Bayswater train station (Perth) if any of you are on here :D

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:24 pm

Persistent punctures like thorns and stuff are a pain. Since I installed MrTuffy liners in my tyres I think I’ve only had one puncture through the tyre since and that was on a tyre on its last legs and I think the liner had shifted. Puncture resistant tyres can also help.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:03 pm

seadan44 wrote:Off to the LBS as I have now had a gutful - 8 punctures in 2 weeks is too much.
Not wrong!
I've had one real puncture (excludes pinch flats) since I started recording in early 2012

You mention "bindi", is that bindi-bindi (S. seeeilis), Caltrop (T. terrestris) or Double G (E. Australis)?

Two are grounds to reach for the sealant. And depending on where you live, grounds to reach for the council ranger (as reportable weeds)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

seadan44

Postby seadan44 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:45 pm

Hey Matey,
I have Schwalbe Durano Plus and these were meant to be one of the better puncture proof tyres, but yes I may have to go back to liners as well.
Thanks again
Sean

seadan44

Postby seadan44 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:25 pm

Hi Thoglette,
Definitely Double G's but refer to them all as the same to make it easier for the kids :)
Unfortunately can't seem to find patches of them where I normally ride to work otherwise I would avoid like the plague.
Hopfully the LBS can find some that I've missed, fit a liner and that will be the end of it.
It has decreased my confidence on taking it for a long ride as I can't always count on a wonderful wifey rescue and was just lucky on yesterday's that the front didn't comletely fail.
Cheers

uart

Postby uart » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:56 pm

seadan44 wrote:Unfortunately can't seem to find patches of them where I normally ride to work otherwise I would avoid like the plague.
My technique to avoid them is to stick to road and pavement. Stay away from anything green. :D

seadan44

Postby seadan44 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:20 pm

Lol my kids follow the same theory for dinner - avoid the greenery :lol:
I work one week early starts which means I leave home at 4.30am and one late 10.15 start.
I have had 3 weeks of earlies so generally when I am on the road/paths its all black.
I try to ride on the paths as much as possible and go well out of my way to do so but having said that, there is a lot of roadworks around me with the Tonkin Hwy upgrades.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:23 pm

seadan44 wrote:Hopfully the LBS can find some that I've missed, fit a liner and that will be the end of it.
Yup, the missed thorn/glass/wire can turn one puncture into many.
seadan44 wrote:It has decreased my confidence on taking it for a long ride as I can't always count on a wonderful wifey rescue and was just lucky on yesterday's that the front didn't comletely fail.
You're not carrying spare tube(s)?
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

seadan44

Postby seadan44 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:39 pm

Hi,
Yes I carry a tube and cartridge but had used it already :|
I am waiting on a new under seat bag and will then start carrying 2 of each as I will have room.
LBS says that I must be riding through a patch of prickles somewhere and haven't seen them as they found a couple of little ones in the tyre and the latest puncture which must have been caused by a bigger one which has dislodged.
Also found deformity in my front tyre wall which he said is most likely caused by my car exhaust when the bike is on the carrier :x
Expensive lesson learnt there!
LBS were great $30 to adjust gears, true the rear hoop, replace front tube and hunt out thorns, well worth it.
So let's hope he found what I didn't and I can again concentrate on clocking up some more kms and dropping some more kgs :)