Brisbane City - north commute

Emmy88

Brisbane City - north commute

Postby Emmy88 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:23 am

I'm just getting back into riding and when I have ridden from the city I go down sandgate road- I realize there is no bike lane for part of this, and I don't know where to access the bike path. Just want to know do you think it's safe to go this way during the day its about 3km if that of no lane as I go through the back streets to Albion.
Thanks

RobertL

Re: Brisbane City - north commute

Postby RobertL » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:20 am

There's quite a few Brisbane commuters on here who can give you advice.

Most commuters from Sandgate Rd would end up over on the North Brisbane Bikeway at Wooloowin/Albion. A lot of people would use the bikepath from around Toombul shopping centre through Kalinga Park to get to the NBB.

How you get there would depend on roughly where you are coming from. Can you give us any more specifics about where yo need help?

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:48 am

RobertL wrote:How you get there would depend on roughly where you are coming from. Can you give us any more specifics about where yo need help?

Yes, some specifics on where you start from would be a help. Also, when you say during the day.. you mean you want to ride this route on a weekday? Roughly what time? Also, how confident are you as a cyclist?

I rode from Sandgate into town this morning via the NBB. It's generally not too bad as there is a bike lane most of the way and the traffic speed is slow due to congestion. The worst bit is around the wrecker at Boondall. I go under the overpass along the creek bikeway onto Bilsen road and then along shaw road. Unfortunately there is no escaping the "Albion/Wooloowin Death Corridor".

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:33 am

Comedian wrote: Unfortunately there is no escaping the "Albion/Wooloowin Death Corridor".

Yeah, but the Qld Transport Minister personally promised me on Facebook that the next stage of the NBB will be built soon, which will fix that part of the commute. I hope that he is right!

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:17 pm

RobertL wrote:
Comedian wrote: Unfortunately there is no escaping the "Albion/Wooloowin Death Corridor".

Yeah, but the Qld Transport Minister personally promised me on Facebook that the next stage of the NBB will be built soon, which will fix that part of the commute. I hope that he is right!

Let's hope so.

However with many things and especially bike infrastructure I'll believe it when I see it.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:19 pm

RobertL wrote:

Let's hope so.

However with many things and especially bike infrastructure I'll believe it when I see it.

BCC are also promising to put lighting along the Grammar Path - but again I'll believe it when I see it. :roll:

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:29 pm

Comedian wrote:
RobertL wrote:

Let's hope so.

BCC are also promising to put lighting along the Grammar Path - but again I'll believe it when I see it. :roll:

This is my latest interaction with the interested parties on FB: https://www.facebook.com/bicycle.qld/ph ... =3&theater

Emmy88

Postby Emmy88 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:32 pm

What's NBB?? I used to cycle a lot about 4-5 years ago during the day no issues. I go from newstead and go down breakfast creek road and turn and go the back way onto sandgate road and Come out at mcdonalds and then onto the busy sandgate road..I found a side street to turn down just up the hill..Bonney ave or something and then came out on junction Road.. I have no idea where or how to get to the bikeways so I just avoid them to be honest. I went out between about 10-1330.

Emmy88

Postby Emmy88 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:33 pm

RobertL wrote:There's quite a few Brisbane commuters on here who can give you advice.

Most commuters from Sandgate Rd would end up over on the North Brisbane Bikeway at Wooloowin/Albion. A lot of people would use the bikepath from around Toombul shopping centre through Kalinga Park to get to the NBB.

How you get there would depend on roughly where you are coming from. Can you give us any more specifics about where yo need help?

What's NBB?? I used to cycle a lot about 4-5 years ago during the day no issues. I go from newstead and go down breakfast creek road and turn and go the back way onto sandgate road and Come out at mcdonalds and then onto the busy sandgate road..I found a side street to turn down just up the hill..Bonney ave or something and then came out on junction Road.. I have no idea where or how to get to the bikeways so I just avoid them to be honest. I went out between about 10-1330.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:15 pm

Emmy88 wrote:What's NBB??

North Brisbane Bikeway

Or try to input your destinations of start and end in this Cycle route planner.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:00 am

It depends on what time of the day and whether you can keep up with the flow of traffic. I know I can do 40 and punch 50 if I need to its the going in and out of traffic bit on Sandgate Road. Riding safely often comes down to whether you think you could ride that road safely. I don't live in Brisbane at the moment, and am not familiar with Sandgate Road every day, so I wouldn't ride it. That said there are sections of road marked on Strava as being dangerous where I live now, but I would not have any problem riding on them.

It's in the eye of the beholder to be straightforward.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:13 am

Emmy88 wrote:
RobertL wrote:There's quite a few Brisbane commuters on here who can give you advice.

I live just off Bonney Avenue, and I used to commute that way to and from the CBD. I still ride that way into the city when I am going on early morning rides.

When commuting, however, I use the North Brisbane Bikeway. Heading north from the city it goes from the Roma Street Parklands on an off-road bike path all the way to Windsor/Albion. Then I follow McDonald Road/Bridge Street alongside the train line past Albion and Wooloowin station. I don't go as far as you, but you can follow that road (Bridge Street/Dickson Street) all the way to Junction Road.

Depending on where you are going, you can go past Junction Road and get onto the bike path at Shaw Park or Kalinga Park to head further north east.

solmanic
Location: The glorious hills of the Sunshine Coast hinterland

Postby solmanic » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:24 am

This is Brisbane City Council's bicycle route planner. Probably has all the information you need and then some...

https://www.cyclingbrisbane.com.au/rout ... 8/153.0251

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:38 am

Bunged Knee wrote:North Brisbane Bikeway

I just used that route planner from sandgate to the city. I wouldn't recommend it.
It keeps you off Sandgate road north of Nundah where there's a generally safe dedicated bike lane.

Emma, are you saying your ride is between Newstead and CBD?

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:25 am

Emmy88 wrote:What's NBB?? I used to cycle a lot about 4-5 years ago during the day no issues. I go from newstead and go down breakfast creek road and turn and go the back way onto sandgate road and Come out at mcdonalds and then onto the busy sandgate road..I found a side street to turn down just up the hill..Bonney ave or something and then came out on junction Road.. I have no idea where or how to get to the bikeways so I just avoid them to be honest. I went out between about 10-1330.

Is this a weekday commute or a weekend recreation ride?

I head out to Sandgate most Saturdays, but earlish - around 6:30 am. I just continue along Breakfast Creek Road and Kingsford Smith Drive then take Nudgee Road (or Racecourse Road, Lancaster Road to Nudgee Road) and Toombul Road to join Sandgate Road at Virginia.

Alternatively you could join the Kedron Brook Bikeway along Nudgee Road and this will take you to Nudgee Beach or you could continue along the Boondall Wetlands Bikeway and eventually on to Sandgate.

Some do find KSD intimidating, but with the current roadworks the speed limit is 40 kph and the traffic is light early in the morning. I'll tolerate the traffic on this route any time over the traffic through Albion, Clayfield, Toombul and Nundah.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Emmy88

Postby Emmy88 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:16 am

CKinnard wrote:
Bunged Knee wrote:North Brisbane Bikeway

I just used that route planner from sandgate to the city. I wouldn't recommend it.
It keeps you off Sandgate road north of Nundah where there's a generally safe dedicated bike lane.

Emma, are you saying your ride is between Newstead and CBD?

Nope just to go for a ride from newstead out to essentially redcliffe.. I hate bikeways I've looked up the directions and they seem confusing.

dclnmurray

Postby dclnmurray » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:02 am

Hi Emma

I commute from Chermside West to Newstead and pick up the NBB around Rode road (Burnie Brae) just below Chermside. I commute along the Shaw, Dawson, Dixon, Bridge street way then bike track to O'Connell, Brooke Street and into Newstead and as long as I am careful and don't assume I will always get the right of way (read stupid motorists) I find it quite enjoyable. usually go on footpath around O'Connell/Brookes due to peak hour traffic. Heading out to Redcliffe I would do the reverse and head up to Shaw Road then I would pick up the Kedron brook bike track (MBC) that takes me out to Sandgate and beyond. Much more of a pleasant ride but it is longer.

David